Tough times for Philly pro sports teams

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Tough times for Philly pro sports teams

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Time to call your doctor and refill that prescription. You're delusional.

Heck! 8-)
It's coming, man, I'm just letting you know ahead of time that the Sixers are going to be pretty good in just a handful of years. Believe in the plan, believe in the plan.
Whatever you say, HinkieFan!
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
It's coming, man, I'm just letting you know ahead of time that the Sixers are going to be pretty good in just a handful of years. Believe in the plan, believe in the plan.
Whatever you say, HinkieFan!
Hey, even Colangelo is a Hinkie fan - what do you think got him here, other than the fact that he gets to come in right at the time when they pull the trigger on 4 first round draft picks, already with Okafor, Noel, and possibly Embiid in the stable, and Saric here in two years? Even he jumped on the bandwagon. :thumb:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Whatever you say, HinkieFan!
Hey, even Colangelo is a Hinkie fan - what do you think got him here, other than the fact that he gets to come in right at the time when they pull the trigger on 4 first round draft picks, already with Okafor, Noel, and possibly Embiid in the stable, and Saric here in two years? Even he jumped on the bandwagon. :thumb:
Embiid will never play a minute in the NBA. Worst Sixers pick since Craig Raymond.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Embiid will never play a minute in the NBA. Worst Sixers pick since Craig Raymond.
I partially agree with that - I'm not sure he plays a minute in the NBA either (although interestingly he's a decent player in NBA2K16 in subsequent years in career mode, for what it's worth), but I'm not sure it was so bad because, outside of the two guys that were drafted before him (Wiggins and Parker), and outside of Randle who does look like a player, that 2014 draft may go down as one of the worst drafts in the history of the NBA - it was just chocked full of guys who may never be legitimate NBA players.

Oh, and why go back to Craig Raymond - did we pick him rather than George Mikan? I think just going back 20 years to the Shawn Bradley pick is far enough. :lol: :ohno:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:
I partially agree with that - I'm not sure he plays a minute in the NBA either (although interestingly he's a decent player in NBA2K16 in subsequent years in career mode, for what it's worth), but I'm not sure it was so bad because, outside of the two guys that were drafted before him (Wiggins and Parker), and outside of Randle who does look like a player, that 2014 draft may go down as one of the worst drafts in the history of the NBA - it was just chocked full of guys who may never be legitimate NBA players.

Oh, and why go back to Craig Raymond - did we pick him rather than George Mikan? I think just going back 20 years to the Shawn Bradley pick is far enough. :lol: :ohno:
I'm older than you are. Raymond makes Bradley look like Kareem!
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

Do any of these early round draft picks have their initial contracts expiring soon? I get that players have a salary advantage to re-signing with their existing team but if they don't get out of rebuilding mode soon, some may leave. If they have a few years left before they have to worry about this, it may be ok.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

I just can't believe there have been more than one post about the Sixers. What more can you say than

Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

:lol:

GannonFan:

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Whatever you say, HinkieFan!

Colangelo is there because the NBA begged him to help save the Sixers
:thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

tribe_pride wrote:Do any of these early round draft picks have their initial contracts expiring soon? I get that players have a salary advantage to re-signing with their existing team but if they don't get out of rebuilding mode soon, some may leave. If they have a few years left before they have to worry about this, it may be ok.
It's not like they've been tanking forever. People seem to think they've been at this for 5 or 6 years now. Hinkie came on just before the draft where they got Noel, and they started tanking that year. Subsequent draft they miss on the first two picks and have to settle on Embiid. The tank for the second year and really luck out and get Okafor despite picking third. Now they're in the third and last year of tankage. Obviously Noel would be the first one, but it's still a few years off. Okafor and the 3-4 guys they get this year will be here longer. Saric is delayed coming over because if he waits a year now he can sign for a real contract and not be tied into a rookie contract with the set pay scale. Of course, there were a lot of reports before Christmas that Saric isn't going to wait and is going to come over next year. I'll believe it when I see it but it's always possible. Other than Noel and Okafor, no one is needed on this team going forward - you could see 7 new players next year, and 5 of them could be current or former first round lottery picks.
Last edited by GannonFan on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Sure he did, and he would only come to a place that could be saved. He's not, at his age, going to go anywhere where the chance of failure is high. He, as others have seen, knows the Sixers are about to strike gold and he knew it would be a great place to add one more feather to his cap. Hinkie has the pins all lined up, and Colangelo is here to knock those pins down and bring the gravitas necessary to fill any of the holes with free agents. It's all coming together. :thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Sure he did, and he would only come to a place that could be saved. He's not, at his age, going to go anywhere where the chance of failure is high. He, as others have seen, knows the Sixers are about to strike gold and he knew it would be a great place to add one more feather to his cap. Hinkie has the pins all lined up, and Colangelo is here to knock those pins down and bring the gravitas necessary to fill any of the holes with free agents. It's all coming together. :thumb:
This bears repeating:

:thumb:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Hinkie is a passive-aggressive jackass. Colangelo is over the hill. I wouldn't pay good money to see this team. Send them to Quebec City.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I think GF is going to be proven right over the rest of you haters. :nod:

We are slapping the finishing touches on the bandwagon. You all should get your seats before we fill up.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:I think GF is going to be proven right over the rest of you haters. :nod:

We are slapping the finishing touches on the bandwagon. You all should get your seats before we fill up.
Bullshit. The Phillies will win another title before the Sixers.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
93henfan wrote:I think GF is going to be proven right over the rest of you haters. :nod:

Always possible, but the Sixers could go on an extended period of awesome basketball, not win a title, and still be considered really successful. Think the AI years but with more close call runs to titles.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Bullshit. The Phillies will win another title before the Sixers.
Always possible, but the Sixers could go on an extended period of awesome basketball, not win a title, and still be considered really successful. Think the AI years but with more close call runs to titles.
AI had precisely ONE year of that kind of success. I look back to the Sixer teams of the late 70s and early 80s, with near misses against the Trail Blazers and the Lakers before Moses finally led them to the promised land. This team is a long way from that skill level.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote:

Like any of us will find out. :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Sixers up to 6 wins now. 2 of the last 3! Looks like the 72-73 team's record may be safe...
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

I was at the game Saturday night when they thumped the Trail Blazers. First NBA game in person in what had to have been 10 years. Christmas present for the boys. Very good time, had reservations at Chickies and Petes on Packer before the game (good thing too, with the Flyers playing in the afternoon it was an hour and half wait without reservations), and then the game was very enjoyable. Kids really had a good time.

Ish makes the Sixers better right now - he's an actual point guard so that helps. I'd be real skeptical of drafting a PG like Dunn from Providence this year - I don't think of him as a good enough shooter and you can find better point guards in general, like Ish, without looking too hard. Sixers need more guys like Okafor who can create their own shots. Defense could be better too, they just struggle to stop anyone from scoring when it matters. But hey, it's all coming together and when they actually try to win next year they could be fun to watch.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Flyers are on an 8-1-1 tear, getting into the #8 playoff spot (for now) with a 3-2 win at Chicago last night! :thumb:

And the young Phils are having fun and doing well in exhibition play! :thumb:

And the Sixers need only one more win to reach double digits for the year!! :thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Yeah, the Flyers just keep getting it done, lots of great compliments on the first year coach too.

You know, the 1993 Phillies went on a torrid streak in Spring training and then you saw the season that came after that. Just saying... ;)

Sixers are in great shape - should be in the best position to get Simmons or Ingram. Unlucky that the Lakers have been tanking just as hard this year too so likely not to get that pick, but you never know. I'll be happy with a top 2 pick and one of those guys. Get Saric over here next year and actually try winning on purpose in 2016-17.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

The Ghost has energized the Flyers baby - playoffs!!
Make Delaware Football Great Again
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

bluehenbillk wrote:The Ghost has energized the Flyers baby - playoffs!!
How awesome would it be to cut another hopeful Capitals season short? :lol:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

bluehenbillk wrote:The Ghost has energized the Flyers baby - playoffs!!
:nod: Favorite Flyer right now. Even one of my Cap fan friends sent me a text last night during the game about how good that ghost guy is. Last nights game had playoff feel to it. :nod: :thumb:

I would consider getting one of these if it weren't so ghey.