NHL EXPANSION

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Re: NHL EXPANSION

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:It's times like this it SUCKS to live in Utah where no new professional franchise will ever be built. Glad we already have the two lamest pro sports out there (soccer and NBA).

Would love to see a pro Hockey team in Northern Utah.
Is there some rivalry between SLC/Denver that prevents you from being an Avs fan? If so, EFF you. :kisswink:

:lol:

Actually Im a Kings fan... But I'd love to have an NHL team in Northern Utah just so it could be easier to go watch some pro hockey.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

89Hen wrote:teams listed
If I typed all the teams out my list would look more impressive than looks by just going "All Chicago franchises". Sure, you have more out east. You also have to deal with a shit load more people than I do. I'd take fewer sports franchises over that bull shit any day. I have 44 that I can think of. You listed 56. That's really not that many more.

AHL
Chicago Wolves
Milwaukee Admirals
Rockford Icehogs

MiLB
Appleton Timber Rattlers
Beloit Snappers
Burington Bees
Cedar Rapids Kernels
Clinton Luberkings
Iowa Cubs
Kane County Cougars
Omaha Storm Chasers
Peoria Cheifs
Quad Cities River Bandits

MLB
Chicago Cubs
Chicago White Sox
Kansas City Royals
Milwaukee Brewers
Minnesota Twins

MLS
Chicago Fire
Minnesota United
Sporting KC

NBA
Chicago Bulls
Milwaukee Bucks
Minnesota Timberwolves

NBADL
Fox Valley Bucks
Iowa Energy
Sioux Falls SkyForce
Windy City Bulls

NFL
Chicago Bears
Green Bay Packers
Kansas City Chiefs
Minnesota Vikings

NHL
Chicago Black Hawks
Minnesota Wild

USHL
Bloomington Thunder
Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
Chicago Steel
Des Moines Buccaneers
Dubuque Fighting Saints
Lincoln Stars
Omaha Lancers
Sioux City Musketeers
Sioux Falls Stampede
Waterloo Black Hawks
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

clenz wrote:
89Hen wrote:teams listed
If I typed all the teams out my list would look more impressive than looks by just going "All Chicago franchises". Sure, you have more out east. You also have to deal with a shit load more people than I do. I'd take fewer sports franchises over that bull shit any day. I have 44 that I can think of. You listed 56. That's really not that many more.
No doubt, you're in the middle of nowhere but actually really close to an amazing amount of teams. BTW, if I throw in NBA-D and MLS I get six more. ;)
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

89Hen wrote:
clenz wrote: If I typed all the teams out my list would look more impressive than looks by just going "All Chicago franchises". Sure, you have more out east. You also have to deal with a shit load more people than I do. I'd take fewer sports franchises over that bull shit any day. I have 44 that I can think of. You listed 56. That's really not that many more.
No doubt, you're in the middle of nowhere but actually really close to an amazing amount of teams. BTW, if I throw in NBA-D and MLS I get six more. ;)
Iowa sports fans gets treated like Iowa in the political campaigns.

No one wants to set up shop here permanently, but everyone realizes just how passionate and valuable the Iowa market can actually be because we don't have "our own". It's why, because of the MLB black out policy, Iowa is blacked out of 32-35% of MLB games every single season. 6 MLB teams call Iowa "home territory". A Twins reporter has kept a running tally for about 3 to 4 years. Every year it's between 32 and 35 percent.

Iowa has a massive mash of fans of teams from all over the country.

The NFL, for example, Iowa is largely ruled by Green Bay, Chicago, Minnesota and Kansas City fans but the number of 49er, Steeler, Cowboy, Dolphin, Bronco and Jets fans in this state are crazy. Most sports stores carries one main team for jerseys and then a handful of popular players. Sports stores around here carry jerseys for over half the league teams because it's just a mash up.

Same for the MLB. It's almost exclusively Cubs, Cards, Twins with pockets being heavily White Sox, Brewers and Royals. The number of Yankee, Giants, Astro, etc... fans is crazy. It goes beyond the normal "Yankee/Red Sox bandwagon fans".

The NBA is dominated by the Bulls with far northern Iowa following the Wolves and a small pocket of Bucks int he NE corner.

NHL is mostly Black Hawk fans but the Wild arne't far behind.

WGN and Comcast Chicago dominate the air waves in the state of Iowa, and have for decades (at least WGN), so the eastern half of the state is largely an extension of Chicago.

It's also why Iowa gets so many minor league teams. The Iowa Energy are currently only by Memphis (another NBA team with a bunch of Iowa fans) but the Wolves just bought them starting with next season because it's 3 hours straight up I35 from Des Moines to MPLS. It's like a 1 hour flight. Shuffling players back and forth is easy. The Wild have been doing it with success and so the Wolves jumped on it. We don't have "our team" or "our sport" so everyone tries to get a piece of the pie, because we have nothing else to do so we take our sports faaar too seriously.

The Hawkeyes and Cyclones have a following that could rival the SEC football fan bases in terms of just stupid intensity because those are "our pro teams"
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

89Hen wrote:
clenz wrote: If I typed all the teams out my list would look more impressive than looks by just going "All Chicago franchises". Sure, you have more out east. You also have to deal with a shit load more people than I do. I'd take fewer sports franchises over that bull shit any day. I have 44 that I can think of. You listed 56. That's really not that many more.
Middle of nowhere my ass! Closest "big 4" team to me is 400 miles, and it's in Canada. 8-)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Grizalltheway wrote:
89Hen wrote: No doubt, you're in the middle of nowhere but actually really close to an amazing amount of teams. BTW, if I throw in NBA-D and MLS I get six more. ;)
Middle of nowhere my ass! Closest "big 4" team to me is 400 miles, and it's in Canada. 8-)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

clenz wrote:6 MLB teams call Iowa "home territory"
What's sometimes overlooked is how broken up states are that HAVE their own teams. Take PA. You would think half the state are Eagles fans and the other half Steelers fans. But there are large chunks of Ravens, Giants, Jets, Bills and Browns fans in the state. This map is NOT accurate.

Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

89Hen wrote:
What's sometimes overlooked is how broken up states are that HAVE their own teams. Take PA. You would think half the state are Eagles fans and the other half Steelers fans. But there are large chunks of Ravens, Giants, Jets, Bills and Browns fans in the state. This map is NOT accurate.

I think it's supposed to be the majority in each county?
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

89Hen wrote:

What I mean with claimed as a home team isn't just a "we have fans here". I mean 6 teams claimed Iowa as part of their media market, meaning we are blacked out of any broadcast that isn't on the regional station or a national broadcast.

That means, even though I live in a part of Iowa that doesn't get Fox Sports North, I can't watch a Twins game on TV. I couldn't watch a Brewers game if I wanted to because my part of Iowa doesn't get Fox Sports Wisconsin. Can't watch Royals games because I don' get Fox Sports Kansas City. Can't watch Cardinal games because we don't get Fox Sports Midwest. Hell, watching the Cubs (by far the #1 team in Iowa) is almost impossible right now because they ended their contract with CSN and WGN.

I can't use MLBtv because they follow black out rules. I live in the second largest metro in the state of Iowa (save your jokes). Between the Cedar Rapids metro (my metro and about 270k people), the Iowa City metro (166k people and 20 minutes south) and the Waterloo/Cedar Falls metro (40 minutes to the north and 164k people) we have roughly 20-25% of the states population. We don't have access to any of the regional stations that would carry any of those MLB teams.

It's a god damn joke.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Grizalltheway wrote:I think it's supposed to be the majority in each county?
Yes, but those counties on the Mason Dixon line are Ravens counties. :nod:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

clenz wrote:It's a god damn joke.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

So Vegas now has their team, or at least enough players to trade to get to their final team. No real shock that they took Neal, Fleury, Methot and Marchessault. I think they keep all of them. As a Caps fan I was disappointed to hear that Schmidt was gone. :cry: Vegas is loading up on draft picks, so while they may not be good for a couple years, it shouldn't take them long to be competitive. Will be interesting to see what kind of attendance they get.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote: Will be interesting to see what kind of attendance they get.
Better than Phoenix?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote:
89Hen wrote: Will be interesting to see what kind of attendance they get.
Better than Phoenix?
Mmmmm... can't be worse? I would hope that they will get a strong road team attendance. I honestly think there will be some guy trips to go to Vegas to see their team play. Not sure it it will be enough to carry the load, but I think I did hear that they sold out their season ticket allotment. I have no idea if they set aside 5000, 10,000 or 15,000 for season tix, but that's a good sign. Phoenix just need to move, period.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

http://us.blastingnews.com/sports/2017/ ... 71187.html
All rumors are speculation at this point. However, moving the Arizona Coyotes is most likely why Gary Bettman met with Tilman Fertitta. Andrew Barroway is now the sole owner of the declining Coyotes. The team has had two homes in Arizona and neither one has really worked out. Attendance is declining in Glendale and Barroway may be thinking a fresh start is best for his team.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:

Noone is a fan of the Jets? :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote:Noone is a fan of the Jets? :lol:
:suspicious:

or did you mean no one?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:

or did you mean no one?
He meant Noon. An hour BEFORE kickoff. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:

or did you mean no one?
Obviously no one :roll:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Read somewhere that Seattle finally passed an initiative to get a new arena built. My guess that puts them atop the NHL list for relocation/expansion once complete.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Should expand to Washington DC.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote:Read somewhere that Seattle finally passed an initiative to get a new arena built. My guess that puts them atop the NHL list for relocation/expansion once complete.
:suspicious: Why's that?

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:Should expand to Washington DC.
I would think Minnesota first.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Should expand to Washington DC.
I would think Minnesota first.
They need a team too, Go Black Hawks.

Thank you to GATW for pointing this out.
phpBB [video]
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: I would think Minnesota first.
They need a team too, Go Black Hawks.

Thank you to GATW for pointing this out.
:coffee: The Vikings one sucked too.