Eddie Lacy (Packers) named AP Rookie of the Year!

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
VictorG
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Eddie Lacy (Packers) named AP Rookie of the Year!

Post by VictorG »

Congrats and well deserved. Here's to hoping the Packers can find a couple more blockers for you!
:thumb:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... 42501.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Eddie Lacy (Packers) named AP Rookie of the Year!

Post by JohnStOnge »

Fascinating. What's interesting about that to me is that he played at the high school I'm in the district for; where my kids went. Watched him many times in high school.

And what's really something is that there was another back that played at the same time at that high school (Dutchtown), named Kelvin York, who to me looked just as good. They pretty much split time at Dutchtown. Or sometimes they played them both at once. However good Lacy was he wasn't good enough relative to York to keep York from getting just as much action as he did. But I think York had academic problems or something so he never played college ball.

I've seen that a few times. Like this one guy I watched from Carencro, LA, high school named Theo Babineaux. That was, literally, the most dominant high school football player I've ever seen. But he never played in college due to academics.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
VictorG
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Post by VictorG »

That is very interesting and a great story that you got to see him play in HS.

IMO there is a big leap to be made between HS and College as far as work ethic and devotion (ya, no kidding). In HS a lot of players can do extremely well just on talent. Some can make it mainly on talent in college as well but most have to develop more than just that. The jump from College to the Pros, demands the extra commitment and work ethic....plus luck! Most players lack at least part of that equation.
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Dutchtown also produced Eric Reid, now with the 49ers, and Landon Collins, now with Alabama and who will be an NFL player as well. Reid and Lacy played on the same high school football team. Kind of neat to look back and know that I was watching a team with two future NFL players on it.

Feeds into the "Dutchtown underachieves" narrative though. A lot of talent on that high school football team but they've never gotten past the quarterfinals in the State playoffs.
Could I ever be a star?

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Offense looks pretty good for next year, now it's time to build on the defense.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Well I found out what happened to Lacy's high school backfield mate Kelvin York. He went to Junior College at Fullerton College in California. That tells me grades/academics were indeed a problem. He rushed for 1,435 yards in his first Junior college year (2010); averaging 130.5 yards per game and 6.3 yards per carry. USC was recruiting him but he hurt his knee in 2011 and the Trojans backed off.

He ended up at Utah where he got playing time but never starred. He didn't get that much action at Utah during 2012 but did average 4.9 yards per carry. He was favored to be the starter there this past season but it looks like he struggled with an ankle injury all year. Basically looks like things started going downhill for him injury wise in 2011.

But, man, what a high school backfield that was to watch. You had one guy who drew the interest of a program like Alabama and another guy who eventually drew the interest of a program like USC playing in the same backfield. For York's part, he rushed for 1,400 yards and made the all State team during his senior year in high school while sharing carries with Lacy.
Could I ever be a star?

rkwittem
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: North Dakota State

Post by rkwittem »

What a shame.
:ohno:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

rkwittem wrote:
What a shame.
Allen had a great rookie season, but I would put Lacy's year above Allen. Lacy was #8 in rushing yards and had 35 receptions. Allen was #22 in receiving yards and #35 in receptions with 71, #3 on his team. Allen was a good receiver on a passing team while Lacy was a good RB on a passing team.
rkwittem
Level2
Level2

Post by rkwittem »

Gil Dobie wrote:
rkwittem wrote:
What a shame.
Allen had a great rookie season, but I would put Lacy's year above Allen. Lacy was #8 in rushing yards and had 35 receptions. Allen was #22 in receiving yards and #35 in receptions with 71, #3 on his team. Allen was a good receiver on a passing team while Lacy was a good RB on a passing team.
GB was the #7 rushing offense last year. That's a myth. San Diego was #13 in rushing. Keenan Allen had to step up because SD lost their 2 starting WRs and saw Gates continue slowing down. He carried arguably more responsibility and was more valuable in my eyes as a result.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

rkwittem wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Allen had a great rookie season, but LI would put Lacy's year above Allen. Lacy was #8 in rushing yards and had 35 receptions. Allen was #22 in receiving yards and #35 in receptions with 71, #3 on his team. Allen was a good receiver on a passing team while Lacy was a good RB on a passing team.
GB was the #7 rushing offense last year. That's a myth. San Diego was #13 in rushing. Keenan Allen had to step up because SD lost their 2 starting WRs and saw Gates continue slowing down. He carried arguably more responsibility and was more valuable in my eyes as a result.
Lacy's team was #7 in rushing and somehow that's a knock against its leading rusher? :dunce:
rkwittem
Level2
Level2

Post by rkwittem »

Grizalltheway wrote:
rkwittem wrote: GB was the #7 rushing offense last year. That's a myth. San Diego was #13 in rushing. Keenan Allen had to step up because SD lost their 2 starting WRs and saw Gates continue slowing down. He carried arguably more responsibility and was more valuable in my eyes as a result.
Lacy's team was #7 in rushing and somehow that's a knock against its leading rusher? :dunce:
No, dolt. He said Lacy played on a passing team. Not the case...they were a balanced attack.