Luck vs Griffin

All other sports including pro, high school and more!

Who will be the NFL ROY?

Andrew Luck
39%
Robert Griffin III
32%
Other
11%
Fire Andy Reid
18%

Total votes: 28

Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Luck vs Griffin

Post by Grizalltheway »

So just past the halfway point of the season, it's pretty obvious that one of these two will be Rookie of the Year. Who do you think it should/will be?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14874/andrew-luck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/1487 ... riffin-iii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Luck vs Griffin

Post by AZGrizFan »

RGIII, and it ain't close.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

AZGrizFan wrote:RGIII, and it ain't close.
Really? Only one of them is one ESPN's MVP watch list, and it ain't him.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

I went with the Red State College guy.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

QB will likely get it before him but what about Boise's Doug Martin? Already at 800 yards rushing (5.2/carry) and 245 receiving with 8 TDs and 0 fumbles.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

tribe_pride wrote:QB will likely get it before him but what about Boise's Doug Martin? Already at 800 yards rushing (5.2/carry) and 245 receiving with 8 TDs and 0 fumbles.
Good choice TP :thumb:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

If Russell Wilson continues playing like he has the last 4 weeks, he'll take it. Over that span, only Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers have a better QBR. :nod:
rkwittem
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: North Dakota State

Post by rkwittem »

Hmm, I kind of like Ryan Tannehill. He's got the best combination of throwing ability and athleticism between all of these guys and he'll get top-end coaching from Joe Philbin...one of the guys who developed Aaron Rodgers. I think Luck will get the most praise over his career, but I would be surprised if Tannehill doesn't develop into a fine QB.
RG 3, while productive (especially fantasy-wise), won't hold up as a pro. See Stewart, Kordell and Vick, Michael for additional information.

Wilson I will admit intrigues me, but he's too short and they'll give his defense more love than they'll give him. Not fair, but that's how it'll be for at least this year.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:If Russell Wilson continues playing like he has the last 4 weeks, he'll take it. Over that span, only Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers have a better QBR. :nod:
Pffffft. Uh, yeah, Seattle's dead last in the NFL in passing offense. Number one? You guessed it, the Colts. :coffee:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Grizalltheway wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:If Russell Wilson continues playing like he has the last 4 weeks, he'll take it. Over that span, only Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers have a better QBR. :nod:
Pffffft. Uh, yeah, Seattle's dead last in the NFL in passing offense. Number one? You guessed it, the Colts. :coffee:
Actually, Colts are 8th. Lions are first. :dunce: :thumb:

And Luck is only 57% on all those attempts. Passing the ball a ton doesn't mean shit when you aren't completing them, or are throwing INTs. Luck: 10 TDs, 9 INTs, 79.0 passer rating. Wilson: 62%, 13 TDs, 8 INTs, 87.2 passer rating. 3 more TDs and 1 less INT on 130 less attempts. Efficiency. :nod: Seattle has the fewest passing attempts by design, so of course we have the "worst" passing offense. If Wilson were given free reign to pass it 40 times a game too, he'd be leading the NFL. :coffee:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I've never bought into that "too short" fallacy. There have been MANY outstanding NFL quarterbacks who were less than 6' tall.

From Eddie LeBaron (from COP, now UOP) to Pat Haden to Doug Flutie, "vertically challenged" quarterbacks have had outstanding careers, including titles. On the other hand, quarterbacks who are "too tall" (see Dan McGwire at 6'8") have played like crap.

The fallacy that lies behind the bogus discrimination is that these guys supposedly "can't see over the line." Well, there are two key factors against that BS: First, it is the OL's job to create passing lanes, regardless of how tall the QB is. Second, this is a two-edged sword; if the QB "can't see over the line" (which is patently not true), the defense can't see him, either. That opens up all sorts of plays that taller quarterbacks generally can't do. Plays that have historically been eschewed as "too high school" for the NFL, but are starting to make a comeback with this spread read option stuff that's coming in. Deception used to be the name of the game in the days of the single wing, the Wing-T, and the Oregon Veer, and it's making a comeback. I wouldn't be surprised if quarterback height started dropping as more mobile QBs start hitting the league with experience in the new spread sets.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:

And Luck is only 57% on all those attempts. Passing the ball a ton doesn't mean shit when you aren't completing them, or are throwing INTs. Luck: 10 TDs, 9 INTs, 79.0 passer rating. Wilson: 62%, 13 TDs, 8 INTs, 87.2 passer rating. 3 more TDs and 1 less INT on 130 less attempts. Efficiency. :nod: Seattle has the fewest passing attempts by design, so of course we have the "worst" passing offense. If Wilson were given free reign to pass it 40 times a game too, he'd be leading the NFL. :coffee:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And no, Wilson would not be leading the NFL if he were tasked with throwing it 40 times a game.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Grizalltheway wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And no, Wilson would not be leading the NFL if he were tasked with throwing it 40 times a game.
He'd be right there at the top. :nod: :coffee:
rkwittem
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: North Dakota State

Post by rkwittem »

SuperHornet wrote:I've never bought into that "too short" fallacy. There have been MANY outstanding NFL quarterbacks who were less than 6' tall.

From Eddie LeBaron (from COP, now UOP) to Pat Haden to Doug Flutie, "vertically challenged" quarterbacks have had outstanding careers, including titles. On the other hand, quarterbacks who are "too tall" (see Dan McGwire at 6'8") have played like crap.

The fallacy that lies behind the bogus discrimination is that these guys supposedly "can't see over the line." Well, there are two key factors against that BS: First, it is the OL's job to create passing lanes, regardless of how tall the QB is. Second, this is a two-edged sword; if the QB "can't see over the line" (which is patently not true), the defense can't see him, either. That opens up all sorts of plays that taller quarterbacks generally can't do. Plays that have historically been eschewed as "too high school" for the NFL, but are starting to make a comeback with this spread read option stuff that's coming in. Deception used to be the name of the game in the days of the single wing, the Wing-T, and the Oregon Veer, and it's making a comeback. I wouldn't be surprised if quarterback height started dropping as more mobile QBs start hitting the league with experience in the new spread sets.
I bet it won't. Teams will still look for the prototype guys. Not saying they can't be good, but Wilson won't top the career of Tannehill or Luck.

And for SE- Luck is doing that with no running game and a below-average defense. Wilson actually has some quality players around him...and Luck leads the NFL in passing, regardless of what the team rank is. :dunce:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

rkwittem wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:I've never bought into that "too short" fallacy. There have been MANY outstanding NFL quarterbacks who were less than 6' tall.

I bet it won't. Teams will still look for the prototype guys. Not saying they can't be good, but Wilson won't top the career of Tannehill or Luck.

And for SE- Luck is doing that with no running game and a below-average defense. Wilson actually has some quality players around him...and Luck leads the NFL in passing, regardless of what the team rank is. :dunce:
Bingo! :thumb: :nod:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

Grizalltheway wrote:
rkwittem wrote: I bet it won't. Teams will still look for the prototype guys. Not saying they can't be good, but Wilson won't top the career of Tannehill or Luck.

Bingo! :thumb: :nod:
Luck leads in passing BECAUSE they have no run game and have to throw it 40 times a game. Any decent QB will get a lot of yards passing that much. Not saying Luck is bad, of course he's gonna be great, but he's by no means a lock for OROY.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... hlisberger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:coffee:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... far/19228/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:coffee:
tampajag
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: whooties
A.K.A.: hamburger pimp

Post by tampajag »

rkwittem wrote:Hmm, I kind of like Ryan Tannehill. He's got the best combination of throwing ability and athleticism between all of these guys and he'll get top-end coaching from Joe Philbin...one of the guys who developed Aaron Rodgers. I think Luck will get the most praise over his career, but I would be surprised if Tannehill doesn't develop into a fine QB.
RG 3, while productive (especially fantasy-wise), won't hold up as a pro. See Stewart, Kordell and Vick, Michael for additional information.

Wilson I will admit intrigues me, but he's too short and they'll give his defense more love than they'll give him. Not fair, but that's how it'll be for at least this year.
has nothing to do with being Rookie of the year. Vick isn't a good comparison to RGIII as a QB.
tampajag
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: whooties
A.K.A.: hamburger pimp

Post by tampajag »

tribe_pride wrote:QB will likely get it before him but what about Boise's Doug Martin? Already at 800 yards rushing (5.2/carry) and 245 receiving with 8 TDs and 0 fumbles.
I agree, he's been playing well, he's just tainted by playing for the Bucs
FargoBison
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by FargoBison »

If I wanted to pick to be the Vikings QB it would be Luck and I wouldn't even need to think twice about it. Damn Colts lose Manning and then land the next great QB.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

:coffee: :coffee:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/10s ... er-10-spot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Andrew Luck 10 TD's passing, 5 rushing and 9 Int's and 159 rushing yards, 57.5 completion percentage
RGIII has 8 TD's passing, 6 rushing and 3 Int's and 529 rushing yards, 65.6 completion percentage
Wilson has 15 TD's passing, 0 rushing, and 8 Int's and 189 rushing yards, 62.1 completion percentage

After 9 games Mark Sanchez has 10 TD's and 9 Int's
Last edited by Gil Dobie on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Gil Dobie wrote:Andrew Luck 10 TD's and 9 Int's and 159 rushing yards, 57.5 completion percentage
RGIII has 8 TD's and 3 Int's and 529 rushing yards, 65.6 completion percentage
Wilson has 15 TD's and 8 Int's and 189 rushing yards, 62.1 completion percentage

Whether or not you buy into Total QBR, Luck is top 5 in that, the others aren't. Just sayin'.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Andrew Luck 10 TD's and 9 Int's and 159 rushing yards, 57.5 completion percentage
RGIII has 8 TD's and 3 Int's and 529 rushing yards, 65.6 completion percentage
Wilson has 15 TD's and 8 Int's and 189 rushing yards, 62.1 completion percentage

Whether or not you buy into Total QBR, Luck is top 5 in that, the others aren't. Just sayin'.
Glad to see the ESPN influence in your life. :lol: