US SOCCER

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
wildkyle
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: weber state
A.K.A.: kyle

US SOCCER

Post by wildkyle »

For the first time ever the US Soccer team went to Mexico and beat them.
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Re: US SOCCER

Post by BlueHen86 »

wildkyle wrote:For the first time ever the US Soccer team went to Mexico and beat them.
Watched it. Great game. US hung in and scored late goal to take the 1-0 lead. The two late saves by Howard were amazing.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

All hail Herman the German. :notworthy: :notworthy:
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

Buhbuhbut - didn't the Mexicans just win the Olympic gold medal in soccer? Fireworks and everything at halftime. Damn Yanks, spoiling their victory lap...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

Rob Iola wrote:Buhbuhbut - didn't the Mexicans just win the Olympic gold medal in soccer? Fireworks and everything at halftime. Damn Yanks, spoiling their victory lap...
Yes they did, makes the win even better.

I thought the announcers brought up a good point during the telecast when they questioned why Mexico would play this friendly in Azteca Stadium. We will likely be playing Mexico there again soon in a World Cup qualifying match. Why give the US team experience there? Now our players know what to expect and they knw they can win there.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Rob Iola wrote:Buhbuhbut - didn't the Mexicans just win the Olympic gold medal in soccer? Fireworks and everything at halftime. Damn Yanks, spoiling their victory lap...
Taylor Twellman sure looks (more of) a jackass. :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

BlueHen86 wrote:
wildkyle wrote:For the first time ever the US Soccer team went to Mexico and beat them.
Watched it. Great game. US hung in and scored late goal to take the 1-0 lead. The two late saves by Howard were amazing.
My wife woke me up from my nap with any angry yell when the US scored. :lol:
And yeah those saves by Howard were huge. The US desperately held on in the last 10 minutes, a lot of poor passing and lack of desire to try and possess the ball to try and kill the clock. They will need a better end game strategy next time.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

BlueHen86 wrote:

I thought the announcers brought up a good point during the telecast when they questioned why Mexico would play this friendly in Azteca Stadium. We will likely be playing Mexico there again soon in a World Cup qualifying match. Why give the US team experience there? Now our players know what to expect and they knw they can win there.
Azteca stadium had a lot of empty seats for this friendly matchup; I am sure the qualifying match will be a lot more electric and hostile.
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

SDHornet wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:

Azteca stadium had a lot of empty seats for this friendly matchup; I am sure the qualifying match will be a lot more electric and hostile.
No doubt, but the aura of invincibilty that the Mexicans enjoyed there is gone. They should have scheduled the game at another venue.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I thought the Olympics only allow the U-23 team + 3 older guys. Regardless, it was a great win last night. Considering I live in Mexican-heavy Manassas, I'll enjoy wearing my US Soccer hat today.
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
I thought the Olympics only allow the U-23 team + 3 older guys. Regardless, it was a great win last night.
That sounds right. The US didn't beat the same team that won Olympic gold, but it did ruin the celebration. :lol:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Soccer...... :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

How much extra time did they add at the end of the game for stoppage. :ohno: :ohno:
Why can't these fvckin morons figure out a way to have the game end when the clock runs out?

And eliminate the offsides rule and make the goal bigger. :rant:
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

CAA Flagship wrote:Soccer...... :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

How much extra time did they add at the end of the game for stoppage. :ohno: :ohno:
Why can't these fvckin morons figure out a way to have the game end when the clock runs out?

And eliminate the offsides rule and make the goal bigger. :rant:
Wait a minute...I thought we didn't even qualify for the Olympics??

Yes, I agree eliminating the offsides rule would make soccer more "watchable". But I still probably wouldn't watch.

I do have to give soccer half credit on something - after watching men's hoops in the Olympics there isn't much difference between flopping in European soccer & hoops. Rudy Fernandez? dude needs his ass kicked.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Right, eliminate the offside rule so players can just sit in front of the opposing goal, and wait for the ball to come to them. Brilliant.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Grizalltheway wrote:Right, eliminate the offside rule so players can just sit in front of the opposing goal, and wait for the ball to come to them. Brilliant.
Cherry picking at it's best....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

BlueHen86 wrote:
Watched the first 70 minutes and then flipped the channel and forgot to go back until the LL Softball game was on. :x
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3

Post by Rob Iola »

89Hen wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:
Watched the first 70 minutes and then flipped the channel and forgot to go back until the LL Softball game was on. :x
You turned on ESPN for LL Softball? You're not actually SuperHornet are you?
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3

Post by Rob Iola »

∞∞∞ wrote:
I thought the Olympics only allow the U-23 team + 3 older guys. Regardless, it was a great win last night. Considering I live in Mexican-heavy Manassas, I'll enjoy wearing my US Soccer hat today.
Manassas huh? Good side or bad side of Liberia/28? And what colors do you wear?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Rob Iola wrote:
89Hen wrote: Watched the first 70 minutes and then flipped the channel and forgot to go back until the LL Softball game was on. :x
You turned on ESPN for LL Softball? You're not actually SuperHornet are you?
No, I turned on ESPN to see the end of the game and it already moved on to softball. I'm pretty sure JSO also watches LL Softball, but for a different reason. :?
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Rob Iola wrote:Good side or bad side of Liberia/28?
Not sure. I mean it's not amazing, but it's not a bad part either. The community I live in takes landscaping seriously so I think that's a good sign. :lol:

It's the Stonington Community off 66: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.79400 ... gl=us&z=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rob Iola wrote:And what colors do you wear?
I don't know what that means. My dad's business is in Manassas so when I went to college, we rented our McLean home to use the money for a mortgage on a house in Manassas. Overall, I've lived at ODU and Norfolk longer than I have here, so I don't know any of the intricacies of the area's culture...other than there are a lot of illegal immigrants and people who love to pimp out their early 90s compact cars...and to avoid Georgetown South.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Grizalltheway wrote:Right, eliminate the offside rule so players can just sit in front of the opposing goal, and wait for the ball to come to them. Brilliant.
First, so what? The defense would adjust.
But it needs to be a stationary line similar to hockey. The refs suck at visually establishing a moving line at a time when a ball is kicked that could be as far away as 30 or 40 yards away. How can anyone expect a ref to get that right? And how many times do you see the refs get it wrong? It's a bad rule. Just strike a line about 20 yards in front of the goal and make a rule that the offense can't go inside of that line unless the ball goes in first. Done. :clap:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

And for Pete's sake, if there is a stoppage of play, STOP THE DAMN CLOCK SO THE CROWD CAN COUNT DOWN THE FINAL 10 SECONDS OF THE GAME AT THE END AND KNOW THAT IT IS THE END OF THE GAME. :twisted: :twisted:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Short shorts. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

:lol:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

CAA Flagship wrote:
First, so what? The defense would adjust.
But it needs to be a stationary line similar to hockey. The refs suck at visually establishing a moving line at a time when a ball is kicked that could be as far away as 30 or 40 yards away. How can anyone expect a ref to get that right? And how many times do you see the refs get it wrong? It's a bad rule. Just strike a line about 20 yards in front of the goal and make a rule that the offense can't go inside of that line unless the ball goes in first. Done. :clap:
The ref doesn't make the call, linesmen on either side of the field do. Yeah, it can be tough to make close calls, but what sport doesn't have similar situations? Like calling balls and strikes is an exact science? :roll:

The defense would adjust? Yeah, and O-lineman would adjust if the defense could jump across the line whenever they wanted, but the game would suck.

If you don't like the sport, then don't watch it. They aren't going to change it to suit your tastes. :coffee:
GSUhooligan
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: HAIL SOUTHERN!

Post by GSUhooligan »

If the higher ups want MLS to REALLY catch on, they need to do away with draws and make every game knockout stage rules with extra time and then penalties. Nothing worse than investing 90 minutes of my life to see a 0-0 draw.