Cities that have won all 4 major Championships

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Monarchs, Gators, Huskies

Re: Cities that have won all 4 major Championships

Post by ODUalum11 »

I'd count the Pats as a boston team, therefore Boston is the only city to have all 4 teams from all 4 major sports win championships in a 7 year span, not to mention the Red Sox unfortunately have a GREAT chance to win the World Series this year.
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: New Hampshire
A.K.A.: UNHWildCats

Post by UNHWildCats »

ODUalum11 wrote:I'd count the Pats as a boston team, therefore Boston is the only city to have all 4 teams from all 4 major sports win championships in a 7 year span, not to mention the Red Sox unfortunately have a GREAT chance to win the World Series this year.
it also cant be discounted that its possible for a few days next spring the four Boston area teams could be holding all 4 titles at the same time.
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

UNHWildCats wrote:
ODUalum11 wrote:I'd count the Pats as a boston team, therefore Boston is the only city to have all 4 teams from all 4 major sports win championships in a 7 year span, not to mention the Red Sox unfortunately have a GREAT chance to win the World Series this year.
it also cant be discounted that its possible for a few days next spring the four Boston area teams could be holding all 4 titles at the same time.
I'll unfortunately give you the Red Sox and MAYBE the Pats but I think the championship window has slammed shut on the Celtics.
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4

Post by UNHWildCats »

ODUalum11 wrote:
UNHWildCats wrote: it also cant be discounted that its possible for a few days next spring the four Boston area teams could be holding all 4 titles at the same time.
I'll unfortunately give you the Red Sox and MAYBE the Pats but I think the championship window has slammed shut on the Celtics.
perhaps, but they remain dangerous enough. What they do this summer to replace Perkins will determine it... The day they traded him was the day they lost the 2011 championship. The Big 4 remain a big threat.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

ODUalum11 wrote:
UNHWildCats wrote: it also cant be discounted that its possible for a few days next spring the four Boston area teams could be holding all 4 titles at the same time.
Yeah, if they couldn't get past the Heat this year, it ain't happening next.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

89Hen wrote:Philly. Unless you don't want to count NFL Championships as major. :coffee:

Me thinks they mean the Super Bowl. But if not, then you can add Detroit to the list as well.
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

Grizalltheway wrote:
ODUalum11 wrote:
I think it was Scottie Pippen who said it best, this past year was the best chance to beat them because they will only get better. Imagine when they actually get a legit point guard and center who is a threat on the offensive end?! As well as Lebron possibly finding his game next year? :shock: Heat would have won the series this year if Lebron actually showed up.

I also think other teams will only get better. Bulls will get better as well as the Knicks. The Knicks are only 1-2 signings away from being a legit Eastern Conference contender.
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4

Post by UNHWildCats »

ODUalum11 wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
I think it was Scottie Pippen who said it best, this past year was the best chance to beat them because they will only get better. Imagine when they actually get a legit point guard and center who is a threat on the offensive end?! As well as Lebron possibly finding his game next year? :shock: Heat would have won the series this year if Lebron actually showed up.

I also think other teams will only get better. Bulls will get better as well as the Knicks. The Knicks are only 1-2 signings away from being a legit Eastern Conference contender.
how many years are we going to be waiting for Lebron to actually show up? Maybe the reality is that what you see is what you get... nothing greater is coming through the door.
saint0917
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Umass

Post by saint0917 »

JoltinJoe wrote:
saint0917 wrote:
I forgot about the Chicago White Sox, so that would be 5 teams in one city.
New York has eight teams which have won major professional championships while actually playing home games in New York City itself:

New York Giants (baseball)
Brooklyn Dodgers (baseball)
New York Yankess (baseball)
New York Mets (baseball)
New York Giants (football)
New York Jets (football)
New York Knickerbockers (basketball)
New York Rangers (hockey)
Very Good, you get an A++ in sports history. :thumb:
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

UNHWildCats wrote:
ODUalum11 wrote:

how many years are we going to be waiting for Lebron to actually show up? Maybe the reality is that what you see is what you get... nothing greater is coming through the door.
I think lebron will show up sooner or later, just how A-Rod did for the yankees in '09. Too many people have been bashing Lebron for him not to show up. I'm not saying I dont see the Celtics not making it back I'm just saying I dont think they have as great of chances as years past.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

AshevilleApp wrote:
89Hen wrote:Philly. Unless you don't want to count NFL Championships as major. :coffee:

Me thinks they mean the Super Bowl. But if not, then you can add Detroit to the list as well.
Add Detroit to the list - the NFL existed as a major sports entity for 46 years before the Super Bowl came around. Just because we renamed the title game doesn't mean the title games that came before it are lesser. That's like calling the I-AA titles lesser that were won before they renamed it to FCS.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

GannonFan wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:

Add Detroit to the list - the NFL existed as a major sports entity for 46 years before the Super Bowl came around. Just because we renamed the title game doesn't mean the title games that came before it are lesser. That's like calling the I-AA titles lesser that were won before they renamed it to FCS.
+1
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

ODUalum11 wrote:
UNHWildCats wrote: how many years are we going to be waiting for Lebron to actually show up? Maybe the reality is that what you see is what you get... nothing greater is coming through the door.
I think lebron will show up sooner or later, just how A-Rod did for the yankees in '09. Too many people have been bashing Lebron for him not to show up. I'm not saying I dont see the Celtics not making it back I'm just saying I dont think they have as great of chances as years past.
A-Rod in '09 was like Lebron this year - A-Rod had great divisional and then league championship series, and then was a bit player in the World Series. Hard to tell if Lebron is able to do more than he did this year - he's not a great outside shooter and he's not a guy that demands the ball in the 4th quarter. He's almost the opposite of guys like Jordan and Kobe in that regard. Heck, even Magic shot the ball more in the 4th quarter than Lebron did in the Finals. I'm not sure he can become a better shooter, especially in the clutch, than he is now, and if he can't, he's always going to be second fiddle to someone who can.

I agree that the Heat have a better shot than the aging and missing-someone-in-the-middle Celtics, but even then they played with an injured Rondo this year - if he's not hurt, I'm not sure the Heat get by them this year. Boston's window is still open for maybe next year, at the most a year after that.
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

GannonFan wrote:
ODUalum11 wrote:
A-Rod in '09 was like Lebron this year - A-Rod had great divisional and then league championship series, and then was a bit player in the World Series. Hard to tell if Lebron is able to do more than he did this year - he's not a great outside shooter and he's not a guy that demands the ball in the 4th quarter. He's almost the opposite of guys like Jordan and Kobe in that regard. Heck, even Magic shot the ball more in the 4th quarter than Lebron did in the Finals. I'm not sure he can become a better shooter, especially in the clutch, than he is now, and if he can't, he's always going to be second fiddle to someone who can.

I agree that the Heat have a better shot than the aging and missing-someone-in-the-middle Celtics, but even then they played with an injured Rondo this year - if he's not hurt, I'm not sure the Heat get by them this year. Boston's window is still open for maybe next year, at the most a year after that.
I never want to hear Lebron mentioned with the names of Kobe and Jordan ever again unless he can prove everybody wrong. For the time being its not question Kobe and Jordan are better. I'd even say Kobe is better now. :shock: At least with Kobe he has that killer instinct, he damands the ball in the 4th quarter, he can shoot, he can adjust his game if he has to and he also has rings. :nod:

It's hilarious when people say Lebron has more MVP's than Kobe. Yeah, Lebron can have his REGULAR SEASON MVP awards, I'd much rather see Kobe get Finals MVP's.

Also like UNH said if I remember correctly, the Celtics pissed away their chances of a championship when they traded Perkins.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

ODUalum11 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

I never want to hear Lebron mentioned with the names of Kobe and Jordan ever again unless he can prove everybody wrong. For the time being its not question Kobe and Jordan are better. I'd even say Kobe is better now. :shock: At least with Kobe he has that killer instinct, he damands the ball in the 4th quarter, he can shoot, he can adjust his game if he has to and he also has rings. :nod:

It's hilarious when people say Lebron has more MVP's than Kobe. Yeah, Lebron can have his REGULAR SEASON MVP awards, I'd much rather see Kobe get Finals MVP's.
Also like UNH said if I remember correctly, the Celtics pissed away their chances of a championship when they traded Perkins.
As much as it pains me to say it, I see it as very similar to the Brady v Manning discussion.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
ODUalum11 wrote:

As much as it pains me to say it, I see it as very similar to the Brady v Manning discussion.
With the minor difference being that Manning actually has a ring whereas Lebron has to ask Wade nicely to show him his. :nod:
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

Speaking of rings did anybody hear about the Lebron promotion the Peoria Chiefs had last night? :lol:

Also FWIW, Brady>>>>>Manning.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

saint0917 wrote:
saint0917 wrote:I know many of you will say Boston, But, technically the Patriots are not in Boston. The only one I can think of is Chicago. And That's Chcago if you count (and I guess you have to.) the Cubs winning the World Series 1908, the Bulls have 6 six NBA championships, The Bears won one Super Bowl, and the Blackhawks won four Stanley Cups.
I forgot about the Chicago White Sox, so that would be 5 teams in one city.
Chicago Cardinals make it 6
CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Post by CatMom »

The name is The New England Patriots...not Boston, they do not play in Boston and are claimed by a region...not a city. Boston is 35 miles away. Almost like Dover, DE claiming the Eagles or something.

Also, almost like Irving, TX claiming the Dallas Cowboys...oh wait :D
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

CatMom wrote:The name is The New England Patriots...not Boston, they do not play in Boston and are claimed by a region...not a city. Boston is 35 miles away. Almost like Dover, DE claiming the Eagles or something.

and I guess that includes NYC claiming the Giants and Jets?
CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Post by CatMom »

ODUalum11 wrote:
CatMom wrote:The name is The New England Patriots...not Boston, they do not play in Boston and are claimed by a region...not a city. Boston is 35 miles away. Almost like Dover, DE claiming the Eagles or something.

and I guess that includes NYC claiming the Giants and Jets?
In my book. Guess I'm a stickler
Can't acknowledge the teams that play in a whole other state (which it actually is, truth be told) but I can go with the championships they won when they actually played in NYC proper.
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

I also guess that the Golden State Warriors more represent the state of Cali. than the Oakland/San Fran. area.....
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4

Post by UNHWildCats »

The Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins are also claimed by a region. The four franchises represent New England... aside for a small corner in southwest Conn which blends between the Boston area teams and New York area teams.
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

UNHWildCats wrote:

The Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins are also claimed by a region. The four franchises represent New England... aside for a small corner in southwest Conn which blends between the Boston area teams and New York area teams.
Patriots were not claimed by Boston until they started winning superbowls.
UNI FIGHT
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

ODUalum11 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Kobe is one of the more overrated players of this generation. There is a reason he has only won 1 MVP. And it is because he is not a great overall basketball player. He is a great, elite all time scorer. Overrated defender. Poor rebounder. Pathetic passer. And a whiny crybaby bitch.

Now, I dislike Lebron as much as anyone, but he took fucking CLEVELAND to the NBA finals with a bunch of scrubs. The Cavs had the best record in the league for a couple of seasons, and Lebron did it by himself. The three years where Kobe was not playing with a slew of all-stars/hall of famers, and was on his own in LA (which he basically demanded like the bitch that he is) the Lakers sucked. The missed the playoffs entirely, lost in the first round, and lost in the first round.

Lebron > Kobe.
UNI FIGHT