Cities that have won all 4 major Championships

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Re: Cities that have won all 4 major Championships

Post by Rob Iola »

Don't forget about Pittsburgh - Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, and Pisces.

What's that - you've never heard of the Pisces? Their star looked exactly like Julius Erving...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fish_T ... Pittsburgh
Proletarians of the world, unite!
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: New Hampshire
A.K.A.: UNHWildCats

Post by UNHWildCats »

DJH wrote:
UNHWildCats wrote: The Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins are also claimed by a region. The four franchises represent New England... aside for a small corner in southwest Conn which blends between the Boston area teams and New York area teams.
Patriots were not claimed by Boston until they started winning superbowls.
The Patriots have been claimed by fans from the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire to the beaches of Maine, down through Boston and western Massachusetts and throughout Rhode Island and eastern Conn for years before anyone even knew there was a Tom Brady on earth.
DJH
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: The MVC

Post by DJH »

UNHWildCats wrote:
DJH wrote:
Patriots were not claimed by Boston until they started winning superbowls.
The Patriots have been claimed by fans from the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire to the beaches of Maine, down through Boston and western Massachusetts and throughout Rhode Island and eastern Conn for years before anyone even knew there was a Tom Brady on earth.
Exactly. And that's why they are named the "New England" Patriots, not the Boston Pats. Boston didn't give a shit about them until they started winning.
UNI FIGHT
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: New Hampshire
A.K.A.: UNHWildCats

Post by UNHWildCats »

DJH wrote:
UNHWildCats wrote: The Patriots have been claimed by fans from the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire to the beaches of Maine, down through Boston and western Massachusetts and throughout Rhode Island and eastern Conn for years before anyone even knew there was a Tom Brady on earth.
Exactly. And that's why they are named the "New England" Patriots, not the Boston Pats. Boston didn't give a shit about them until they started winning.
thats not true. Plenty of people all over new england including people in Boston cared about the team long before they were winning
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Rob Iola wrote:Don't forget about Pittsburgh - Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, and Pisces.

What's that - you've never heard of the Pisces? Their star looked exactly like Julius Erving...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fish_T ... Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh Pipers did win the ABA title with Connie Hawkins.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

ODUalum11 wrote:
CatMom wrote:The name is The New England Patriots...not Boston, they do not play in Boston and are claimed by a region...not a city. Boston is 35 miles away. Almost like Dover, DE claiming the Eagles or something.

Also, almost like Irving, TX claiming the Dallas Cowboys...oh wait :D
and I guess that includes NYC claiming the Giants and Jets?
As stated prior, the Giants and Jets won titles when they played in NYC.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

AshevilleApp wrote:
89Hen wrote:Philly. Unless you don't want to count NFL Championships as major. :coffee:

Me thinks they mean the Super Bowl. But if not, then you can add Detroit to the list as well.
Both are good. The NFL did crown a champion before the Super Bowl.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

DJH wrote:
ODUalum11 wrote:
I never want to hear Lebron mentioned with the names of Kobe and Jordan ever again unless he can prove everybody wrong. For the time being its not question Kobe and Jordan are better. I'd even say Kobe is better now. :shock: At least with Kobe he has that killer instinct, he damands the ball in the 4th quarter, he can shoot, he can adjust his game if he has to and he also has rings. :nod:

It's hilarious when people say Lebron has more MVP's than Kobe. Yeah, Lebron can have his REGULAR SEASON MVP awards, I'd much rather see Kobe get Finals MVP's.

Also like UNH said if I remember correctly, the Celtics pissed away their chances of a championship when they traded Perkins.
Kobe is one of the more overrated players of this generation. There is a reason he has only won 1 MVP. And it is because he is not a great overall basketball player. He is a great, elite all time scorer. Overrated defender. Poor rebounder. Pathetic passer. And a whiny crybaby bitch.

Now, I dislike Lebron as much as anyone, but he took **** CLEVELAND to the NBA finals with a bunch of scrubs. The Cavs had the best record in the league for a couple of seasons, and Lebron did it by himself. The three years where Kobe was not playing with a slew of all-stars/hall of famers, and was on his own in LA (which he basically demanded like the bitch that he is) the Lakers sucked. The missed the playoffs entirely, lost in the first round, and lost in the first round.

Lebron > Kobe.
Kobe's rings - 5. Lebron's rings - 0. That's sums it up right there.

Seriously, even you admit that he's a great, elite all time scorer. Forget the overrated defender crap - the guy is a 9 time first team all defender in the NBA, and second team defender two other times. Sure he's a poor rebounder - what's there to rebound when he's the one taking shots and making them? And pathetic passer? Only a Lebron apologist would actually try to make up stuff like that. This whole trend to try to define Lebron as a "facilitator" is just a way to turn the attention away from the fact that Lebron is a mediocre outside shooter and doesn't want the ball in the 4th quarter and he actually defers to guys like Kobe to take the big shots - seem to remember the '08 gold medal game where Kobe dropped 13 points of the USA's 27 in the 4th quarter, and also led the team with 6 assists in that game - in big games like that, guys like Kobe step up, guys like Lebron "facilitate" by standing around and watching guys like Kobe.

Lebron may one day get a ring, but he's going to be dependent on someone winning it for him. No wonder a guy like Scottie Pippen talked up Lebron so much - Scottie would love for people to think he was just as good as Jordan. When it comes down to it, though, guys like Jordan and Kobe are the guys who win you titles. Scottie's and Lebron's are great players, but they need someone else to step up for them.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Monarchs, Gators, Huskies

Post by ODUalum11 »

GannonFan wrote:
DJH wrote:
Kobe is one of the more overrated players of this generation. There is a reason he has only won 1 MVP. And it is because he is not a great overall basketball player. He is a great, elite all time scorer. Overrated defender. Poor rebounder. Pathetic passer. And a whiny crybaby bitch.

Now, I dislike Lebron as much as anyone, but he took **** CLEVELAND to the NBA finals with a bunch of scrubs. The Cavs had the best record in the league for a couple of seasons, and Lebron did it by himself. The three years where Kobe was not playing with a slew of all-stars/hall of famers, and was on his own in LA (which he basically demanded like the bitch that he is) the Lakers sucked. The missed the playoffs entirely, lost in the first round, and lost in the first round.

Lebron > Kobe.

Seriously, even you admit that he's a great, elite all time scorer. Forget the overrated defender crap - the guy is a 9 time first team all defender in the NBA, and second team defender two other times. Sure he's a poor rebounder - what's there to rebound when he's the one taking shots and making them? And pathetic passer? Only a Lebron apologist would actually try to make up stuff like that. This whole trend to try to define Lebron as a "facilitator" is just a way to turn the attention away from the fact that Lebron is a mediocre outside shooter and doesn't want the ball in the 4th quarter and he actually defers to guys like Kobe to take the big shots - seem to remember the '08 gold medal game where Kobe dropped 13 points of the USA's 27 in the 4th quarter, and also led the team with 6 assists in that game - in big games like that, guys like Kobe step up, guys like Lebron "facilitate" by standing around and watching guys like Kobe.

Lebron may one day get a ring, but he's going to be dependent on someone winning it for him. No wonder a guy like Scottie Pippen talked up Lebron so much - Scottie would love for people to think he was just as good as Jordan. When it comes down to it, though, guys like Jordan and Kobe are the guys who win you titles. Scottie's and Lebron's are great players, but they need someone else to step up for them.
+1 DJH are you serious when you say Kobe is overrated?! :rofl: :lol:

Just some his accomplishment's throughout his career....

5× NBA Champion (2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010)
2× NBA Finals MVP (2009–2010)
NBA Most Valuable Player (2008)
13× NBA All-Star (1998, 2000–2011)
2× NBA scoring champion (2006–2007)
9× All-NBA First Team (2002–2004, 2006–2011)
2× All-NBA Second Team (2000–2001)
2× All-NBA Third Team (1999, 2005)
9× All-Defensive First Team (2000, 2003–2004, 2006–2011)
2× All-Defensive Second Team (2001–2002)
NBA All-Rookie Second Team (1997)
4× NBA All-Star Game MVP (2002, 2007, 2009, 2011)
NBA Slam Dunk Contest champion (1997)
Naismith Prep Player of the Year (1996)

Yeah, he's definitely overrated. :roll:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

ODUalum11 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

DJ's like the guy who at the end of the night gets on his beer goggles and goes home with a skank, and then wakes up in the morning and tries to justify how great she is in order not to feel like he was used the night before. Lebron's his skank and after that disappearing act in the Finals, DJ has to feel used. Or should I say, "facilitated". :rofl:
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

GannonFan wrote:
ODUalum11 wrote:

DJ's like the guy who at the end of the night gets on his beer goggles and goes home with a skank, and then wakes up in the morning and tries to justify how great she is in order not to feel like he was used the night before. Lebron's his skank and after that disappearing act in the Finals, DJ has to feel used. Or should I say, "facilitated". :rofl:
Lebron wasn't a facilitator in the finals. Everytime he got the ball he'd pass the ball like it was on fire. It's one thing when you're passing the ball to guys like Pau Gasol, Andruw Bynum, Derek Fisher (yeah he's old and not the best PG but he comes up big at points in the playoffs), Lamar Odom and so on. As for Lebron he was passing to guys like Juwan Howard and Mike Bibby. Players not nearly as talented as him.
DJH
Level3
Level3

Post by DJH »

I don't like Lebron at all. But there is little doubt that he is a better basketball player than Kobe Bryant, and the stats back it up. Lebron and bunch of nobodies in Cleveland were at the top of the league for several years, and when Kobe was in a similar situation in LA, he failed miserably.

That said, I'd rather have Kobe take that last shot with a chance to win a game. But I'd build a team around Lebron, not Kobe.
UNI FIGHT
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

DJH wrote:I don't like Lebron at all. But there is little doubt that he is a better basketball player than Kobe Bryant, and the stats back it up. Lebron and bunch of nobodies in Cleveland were at the top of the league for several years, and when Kobe was in a similar situation in LA, he failed miserably.

That said, I'd rather have Kobe take that last shot with a chance to win a game. But I'd build a team around Lebron, not Kobe.
Who would build a team around Lebron? Heck, Lebron himsel doesn't even want to build a team around himself - he'd rather go find an established team. If he doesn't want to build around himself, why would you? And yeah, Cleveland tore up the NBA for years - of course, considering for most of that time the Eastern Conference had 4, maybe 5 legitimate NBA teams, that didn't take a whole lot. What's more shocking is that they didn't get out of the East more than they did (once). And seeing how that went, well, it doesn't take a lot of extrapolation to see how they would do in the West. At the end of the day, Kobe wins titles, and Lebron can't be found in the 4th quarter. You build around Lebron if you don't care about titles, you build around Kobe if you want them. Pretty simple.
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

I dont think the Kobe and Lebron comparison is fair because both are at totally different parts in their careers at the moment.

Let me ask you this if it was Kobe, D.Wade, and Bosh on the same team against the Mavs. Who wins that series?

If you ask me, I say Heat in 5.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Well, it ALMOST works for Boston. The Patriots won the AFL East title in 1963 (their first year in Fenway Park) before getting wasted by San Diego in the AFL Championship Game.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

ODUalum11 wrote:I dont think the Kobe and Lebron comparison is fair because both are at totally different parts in their careers at the moment.

Let me ask you this if it was Kobe, D.Wade, and Bosh on the same team against the Mavs. Who wins that series?

I'd say you are right.
ODUalum11
Level3
Level3

Post by ODUalum11 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
ODUalum11 wrote:I dont think the Kobe and Lebron comparison is fair because both are at totally different parts in their careers at the moment.

I'd say you are right.
of course I am. :thumb:
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

I think the Heat would have won this year if they had Kobe instead of LeBron.

LeBron is the King of being overrated and overhyped, Kobe, like like him or not, has 5 rings.

Jordan >>> Kobe >>>>>> LeBron.
DJH
Level3
Level3

Post by DJH »

Kobe only has 5 rings because he has played on talent loaded rosters with the Lakers. If Lebron had similar opportunities early in his career, he would already have titles. Kobe's first 3 titles with LA, he was indisputably the second best player on his own team to Shaq, who was dominating the league at the time. Give Lebron time with this loaded Heat team and they will win titles, just as Kobe did.
UNI FIGHT
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

DJH wrote:Kobe only has 5 rings because he has played on talent loaded rosters with the Lakers. If Lebron had similar opportunities early in his career, he would already have titles. Kobe's first 3 titles with LA, he was indisputably the second best player on his own team to Shaq, who was dominating the league at the time. Give Lebron time with this loaded Heat team and they will win titles, just as Kobe did.
Nonsense - there's no guarantee that Lebron would've won any titles with Shaq - in those years, Shaq wasn't a force in the 4th quarter (couldn't shoot free throws) and somebody needed to step up, demand the ball in the 4th, and be able to score. Kobe did it. Wade did it. Lebron has never done that. You need to take a big leap of faith to assume that somehow Lebron, who has disappeared when needed in the 4th quarter, would've stepped up in a very similar scenario but on a different team. Why would the fact that he'd be wearing a Lakers jersey make Lebron a better 4th quarter player than he's been without a Lakers jersey?
DJH
Level3
Level3

Post by DJH »

Lebron really didn't have the label of "bad 4th quarter guy" until the NBA finals this year. (although you could argue that it started with the game 6 loss to Boston last season while he was with the Cavs) Nobody knows what exactly happened with him in the finals this year, but other than that he has been a good 4th quarter player. Just the series before, he absolutely dominated the 4th quarter and closed out the Bulls in nearly every game.

I said this earlier in the thread, but it is a fair comparison, just look at what Lebron did with those no talent Cavs teams (several top finishes in the east, and a trip to the finals) with what Kobe did those 3 years when he didn't have a loaded team (no playoffs, and 2 first round exits).

Lebron is the more complete basketball player, and can absolutely carry a team, and can turn a bad team into a good one, just by his presence on the floor. You cannot say the same thing about Kobe. Kobe has scoring ability right up there with anyone in NBA history, but it has been proven that he needs great players around him to win. He needs guys like Odom, Gasol, Shaq, etc to win.

Give me Lebron with combinations of Shaq, Odom, Gasol, and not to mention the greatest NBA coach ever Phil Jackson, and he would produce the same results as Kobe Bryant.
UNI FIGHT
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Kobe did win a title with possibly no hall of fame team-mates.

How often does that happen?
DJH
Level3
Level3

Post by DJH »

Gil Dobie wrote:Kobe did win a title with possibly no hall of fame team-mates.
No, he didn't.
UNI FIGHT
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

DJH wrote:Lebron really didn't have the label of "bad 4th quarter guy" until the NBA finals this year. (although you could argue that it started with the game 6 loss to Boston last season while he was with the Cavs) Nobody knows what exactly happened with him in the finals this year, but other than that he has been a good 4th quarter player. Just the series before, he absolutely dominated the 4th quarter and closed out the Bulls in nearly every game.

I said this earlier in the thread, but it is a fair comparison, just look at what Lebron did with those no talent Cavs teams (several top finishes in the east, and a trip to the finals) with what Kobe did those 3 years when he didn't have a loaded team (no playoffs, and 2 first round exits).

Lebron is the more complete basketball player, and can absolutely carry a team, and can turn a bad team into a good one, just by his presence on the floor. You cannot say the same thing about Kobe. Kobe has scoring ability right up there with anyone in NBA history, but it has been proven that he needs great players around him to win. He needs guys like Odom, Gasol, Shaq, etc to win.

Give me Lebron with combinations of Shaq, Odom, Gasol, and not to mention the greatest NBA coach ever Phil Jackson, and he would produce the same results as Kobe Bryant.
Nope - Lebron has never been a 4th quarter finisher. He's not a prolific scorer (you've even said so) and he's not the guy who takes the ball and demands the ball when the game is on the line. Perfect example - '08 Olympics. He's teamed up with Kobe and he simply watches Kobe take over and make all the clutch plays to beat Spain, especially when the game got close.

Lebron needs other people to win games and win titles for him. Unfortunately, Wade had a bad Finals this year. Hopefully Wade can step it up and win one for Lebron next year. It's probably heavy lifting carrying Lebron on his back, but we'll see if Wade can do it.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

DJH wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Kobe did win a title with possibly no hall of fame team-mates.
No, he didn't.
So, then please state who is going tomake the hall of fame from the last Lakers championship besides Kobe.