Triple Crown?

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Triple Crown?

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:With this Trie Crown thing, why don't they have the biggest races for the fastest horses period, and not just limit it to the fastest 3 year olds?
To some people, the Breeder's Cup, which is more wide open age-wise, is the real racing event of the season. The Triple Crown just has all the history associated with it.
So is that what the Pharoh horse does next year? I read somewhere that throughbreds typically reach their peak physical potential at 4 years old. If that's the case then Pharoh could be a little faster next year..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

BDKJMU wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
To some people, the Breeder's Cup, which is more wide open age-wise, is the real racing event of the season. The Triple Crown just has all the history associated with it.
So is that what the Pharoh horse does next year? I read somewhere that throughbreds typically reach their peak physical potential at 4 years old. If that's the case then Pharoh could be a little faster next year..
I'd be shocked if he raced again.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

clenz wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
Yep. Apparently they'll be able to get 75-100k a pop in stud fees for him.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

clenz wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
Why retire a healthy athlete before they've reached their prime?

TRIPLE CROWN WINNER TO GET REST, THEN RACE AGAIN
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/R/ ... 7-14-40-52" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

BDKJMU wrote:
clenz wrote: I'd be shocked if he raced again.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/R/ ... 7-14-40-52" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He's worth over 20m after 8 races.
100k per pop...pun intended...in stud fees

All gone with one leg injury.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

clenz wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:

He's worth over 20m after 8 races.
100k per pop...pun intended...in stud fees

All gone with one leg injury.
He's insured.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

Owners sold the breeding rights for likely over $20 million and the owner of breeding rights has no say over what is done before they start breeding so they might as well race him for a little while longer.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

tribe_pride wrote:Owners sold the breeding rights for likely over $20 million and the owner of breeding rights has no say over what is done before they start breeding so they might as well race him for a little while longer.
Agreed. He'll race again, Baffert has already laid out that he's going to race at least three more times, including running something in the Breeder's Cup 9 (not sure he'll race the Classic, but he'll run something assuming he's healthy). Because the owner's sold the breeding rights over the winter, rather than selling it now that he's a Triple Crown winner, they can't take advantage of his new royal status and break the bank with a breeding contract (the breeding contract is a bargain considering his newly minted status). For the owners, the only way to keep making money is to race him.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

GannonFan wrote:
tribe_pride wrote:Owners sold the breeding rights for likely over $20 million and the owner of breeding rights has no say over what is done before they start breeding so they might as well race him for a little while longer.
Agreed. He'll race again, Baffert has already laid out that he's going to race at least three more times, including running something in the Breeder's Cup 9 (not sure he'll race the Classic, but he'll run something assuming he's healthy). Because the owner's sold the breeding rights over the winter, rather than selling it now that he's a Triple Crown winner, they can't take advantage of his new royal status and break the bank with a breeding contract (the breeding contract is a bargain considering his newly minted status). For the owners, the only way to keep making money is to race him.
According to the article linked above, they sold the breeding rights before the Belmont not during the winter
Before the Belmont, Zayat sold breeding rights to American Pharoah to Coolmore Ashford Stud near Versailles, Kentucky. The family has said it received offers higher than $20 million, but the terms of the deal haven't been disclosed.
Still correct that they can now only make money by racing him but they made likely more than $20 million off of the breeding contract recently.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

tribe_pride wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
According to the article linked above, they sold the breeding rights before the Belmont not during the winter
Before the Belmont, Zayat sold breeding rights to American Pharoah to Coolmore Ashford Stud near Versailles, Kentucky. The family has said it received offers higher than $20 million, but the terms of the deal haven't been disclosed.
Still correct that they can now only make money by racing him but they made likely more than $20 million off of the breeding contract recently.
Yup, you're right, they sold the rights just after the Preakness and for more than $20M. I thought they had sold it during the winter after he got hurt.

Decent bet by the breeding rights owner's - took a gamble and now they are looking at probably $100k per foal, given that Pharoah's daddy is a pretty successful stud.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Has there ever been a gay horse? Boy would that piss off the owners of the breeding rights.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

93henfan wrote:Has there ever been a gay horse? Boy would that piss off the owners of the breeding rights.

What ever you do, don't google "gay stud horse".
:thumb:
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

Grizo406
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UM, MSU, GSU, ASU
A.K.A.: A true ICON/HOF'er