NFL 2020 Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Re: NFL 2020 Season

Post by Vidav »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:39 pm
Vidav wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:20 pm

Also the FCS is boring with NDSU winning all the time.
Boredom is relative to which side of the field you are sitting on.

Of course. Just like the NFL was amazing for Patriots fans over the last 20 years. But for other AFC fans it was mostly dumb. A dynasty of 5ish years is fun. Beyond that it ruins the sport imo. :coffee:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Vidav wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:15 pm Cowboys drafted the QB from JMU. I guess I will have to get some streamers.
I'd rather have Danny White and Kevin Thomson. I guess I'll have to wait until next year for that....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

1994: 22
1995: 22
1996: 29
1997: 27
1998: 17
1999: 27
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:01 am
Vidav wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:15 pm Cowboys drafted the QB from JMU. I guess I will have to get some streamers.
I'd rather have Danny White and Kevin Thomson. I guess I'll have to wait until next year for that....
If Dallas loses any games, it's not their fault, they were the better team. Trick plays, luck, refs, etc.
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:07 pm

If Dallas loses any games, it's not their fault, they were the better team. Trick plays, luck, refs, etc.
Also they lose when the players don't perform well. Or the coaches make dumb decisions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Way to leave out 4 time Grey Cup winner, Ricky Ray, SH... :ohno:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:39 pm
Vidav wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:20 pm

Also the FCS is boring with NDSU winning all the time.
Boredom is relative to which side of the field you are sitting on.

I agree. It obviously hasn't been boring for NDSU fans. And for JMU fans 3 of the last 4 years. Winning the semis in Fargo, and losing 2x in Frisco by single scores that went down to the wire, from our side of the field sucked, was frustrating, but it wasn't boring.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

89Hen wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:37 am 1994: 22
Yeah, I figured that would shut you guys up.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

89Hen wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:14 pm
Yeah... sh!tz never been the same since 99
those were the good 'ol days

:grizo1:

some folks will argue it was 96 but I'm more of a 99 guy myself
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:43 pm
The 1 JMU player everyone thought most likely to get drafted, AA DE Ron'Dell Carter, per the JMU board, has signed as a UDFA with the Cowboys.
From the JMU board:
@AaronWilson_NFL

"Cowboys' undrafted free agent deal with James Madison pass rusher includes $145,000 guaranteed: $125,000 of his base salary guaranteed with $20,000 signing bonus"

Michael Gehlken of the Dallas Morning News mentioned that amount is more guaranteed money than a 7th round pick.
Which makes you wonder if he got call from 25 teams, and more than 7th Rd $, why wasn't he drafted? Maybe was one of the guys who would have been if all the pre draft stuff hadn't gotten cancelled.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:46 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:27 pm
Surprised. I was expecting 1-2 JMU players to be drafted late, but not Dinucci. Got a nice 1 min blurb by Kiper with highlight package.
I saw that. Very complementary. He called FCS "I-AA". I bet Ralph rolled over in his pod in China.
Something the Dallas coverage talked about. McCarthy and Dinucci are both from Pittsburgh...
In Frisco for the FCS title game in January, Ben DiNucci introduced himself to Mike McCarthy inside an elevator at the Omni not long after McCarthy was named coach. McCarthy’s brother, Joe, was DiNucci’s basketball coach growing up. Now he gets to play for another McCarthy. “Now I’m going to be able to play under him, it’s just crazy,” DiNucci said.
Who knows, maybe that tie in was the difference between being a 7th Rd pick and a UDFA..
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:14 pm
More proof of nothing.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

The consensus on the Lions work over the last couple of days is that they added several players. I guess that's a start.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:16 pm
Ibanez wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:34 am

That can't be. According to most of my friends and family, the ACC is a dominating force and the SEC is all hype. :roll:

They seem to think Clemson = ACC.
I' surprised we haven't had a dissertation from JSO about all the SEC and LSU 1st round picks..
:lol: Don't give him any ideas.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:58 pm

I'd love to have Ray...but he retired nearly a year ago....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:47 am
kalm wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:58 pm

:?
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:24 am
SuperHornet wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:47 am

:?
Dbacks had Ray a few times...
word is he's not that good

:coffee:

I trust Dbacks assessment on these matters
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:32 pm I REALLY like what the Eagles have done today, finally. WR saturation. They get a proven WR in Goodwin from the 49ers for peanuts and draft two more WRs today, so that's four new WRs for Carson. They beef up the interior and outside OL with Taylor and Wanogho. They actually pick up two LBs and a solid safety as well.

After yesterday's debacle. I feel a helluva lot better now. Sorry, Howie. You redeemed yourself a bit. Several smart trade-downs and pickups.
The Hurts draft pick is going to be a head scratcher for awhile, but at least on the plus side if Wentz does get injured or, say, leaves a playoff game after a dirty hit, we don't automatically have to write off the season or that game. A little insurance isn't terrible. And, on the plus side, we screwed up the Patriots draft as they were likely to take Hurts 7 picks later in the second round.

Actually, the draft pick I didn't like was the 3rd round pick - that LB they took there is a real project - I don't think he even really played high school football (religious reason) so he's very raw. And there were other, similar talent (i.e. fast) LB'ers there they could've taken instead. I thought that pick was very strange. He picked well after that.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:55 am
93henfan wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:32 pm I REALLY like what the Eagles have done today, finally. WR saturation. They get a proven WR in Goodwin from the 49ers for peanuts and draft two more WRs today, so that's four new WRs for Carson. They beef up the interior and outside OL with Taylor and Wanogho. They actually pick up two LBs and a solid safety as well.

After yesterday's debacle. I feel a helluva lot better now. Sorry, Howie. You redeemed yourself a bit. Several smart trade-downs and pickups.
The Hurts draft pick is going to be a head scratcher for awhile, but at least on the plus side if Wentz does get injured or, say, leaves a playoff game after a dirty hit, we don't automatically have to write off the season or that game. A little insurance isn't terrible. And, on the plus side, we screwed up the Patriots draft as they were likely to take Hurts 7 picks later in the second round.

Actually, the draft pick I didn't like was the 3rd round pick - that LB they took there is a real project - I don't think he even really played high school football (religious reason) so he's very raw. And there were other, similar talent (i.e. fast) LB'ers there they could've taken instead. I thought that pick was very strange. He picked well after that.
With many tears shed and two days to rest on it, I'm actually warming (slightly, very slightly) to the Hurts pick.

After all, Carson Wentz has failed to finish the last three seasons healthy. His health is a liability at this point.

The shock of the Hurts pick is wearing off with time.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:03 pm

With many tears shed and two days to rest on it, I'm actually warming (slightly, very slightly) to the Hurts pick.

After all, Carson Wentz has failed to finish the last three seasons healthy. His health is a liability at this point.

Plus, if they do get formations where they're both on the field at the same time, Hurts could be that extra running back that they didn't draft this time around that they still needed.

I was fine with the pick when I saw Doug Pederson all smiles after making the pick - if he's happy with it then I'm at least not unhappy with it.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

I know A. Rodgers just signed a contract, but will he make it through this season before he is traded or released?
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Peter King likes it ...
Philadelphia: Ripping the Jalen Hurts pick? Really?

I’m befuddled about something. I hear all this criticism of the Eagles for taking Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts with the 53rd pick in the draft. If there’s one team in football, over the past three years, that’s demonstrated the need for a very good backup quarterback, it’s Philadelphia. The Eagles missed Carson Wentz for six games in 2017 and seven games in 2018; Nick Foles saved the day. Now Foles is gone. Nate Sudfeld was due to be the backup, till Hurts got picked Friday night.

On a good team (which Philadelphia is) with a quarterback who has missed significant time (which Wentz is), the backup quarterback is one of the 10 most important players on the team. Let’s compare the need for a strong backup quarterback to the other Eagles needs when they picked at 53: They could have picked the ninth cornerback or the fifth safety or the sixth linebacker or the fifth running back with the 53rd pick. Or they could have picked a quarterback who you’d think would give Philadelphia a chance to win big games in December and January if he had to play. (A chance, I say; not a certainty.) Hurts, too, can be active and play some role—not altogether like a Taysom Hill, but some sort of role—as a changeup in Doug Pederson’s scheme. Look at the Packers when Rodgers got hurt in 2017, the Niners when Jimmy Garoppolo went down in 2018, the Lions when Matthew Stafford was gone in 2019. All sank like stones.

I don’t know if Hurts would win a playoff game, but I’d sure like his chance to do so more than Sudfeld. And for the 53rd pick, it’s a smart investment.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

grizzaholic wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:23 pm I know A. Rodgers just signed a contract, but will he make it through this season before he is traded or released?
IMO, they have to keep him. He sat behind Favre for 3 years. Let Love sit behind Rodgers 3 years, then he'll be 24 and Rodgers 40 before the end of that season.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:36 pm

Peter King likes it ...
Philadelphia: Ripping the Jalen Hurts pick? Really?

I’m befuddled about something. I hear all this criticism of the Eagles for taking Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts with the 53rd pick in the draft. If there’s one team in football, over the past three years, that’s demonstrated the need for a very good backup quarterback, it’s Philadelphia. The Eagles missed Carson Wentz for six games in 2017 and seven games in 2018; Nick Foles saved the day. Now Foles is gone. Nate Sudfeld was due to be the backup, till Hurts got picked Friday night.

On a good team (which Philadelphia is) with a quarterback who has missed significant time (which Wentz is), the backup quarterback is one of the 10 most important players on the team. Let’s compare the need for a strong backup quarterback to the other Eagles needs when they picked at 53: They could have picked the ninth cornerback or the fifth safety or the sixth linebacker or the fifth running back with the 53rd pick. Or they could have picked a quarterback who you’d think would give Philadelphia a chance to win big games in December and January if he had to play. (A chance, I say; not a certainty.) Hurts, too, can be active and play some role—not altogether like a Taysom Hill, but some sort of role—as a changeup in Doug Pederson’s scheme. Look at the Packers when Rodgers got hurt in 2017, the Niners when Jimmy Garoppolo went down in 2018, the Lions when Matthew Stafford was gone in 2019. All sank like stones.

I don’t know if Hurts would win a playoff game, but I’d sure like his chance to do so more than Sudfeld. And for the 53rd pick, it’s a smart investment.
I don't disagree ^ with much of that...
The only problem is - at the 53rd slot he has to make the team - even if he doesn't make the team he has to make the team
So Jalen Hurts will be on the Eagles roster for at least 3 years regardless of his ability or progress
because he was taken in the 2nd round

:nod:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Chizzang wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:15 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:36 pm

Peter King likes it ...

I don't disagree ^ with much of that...
The only problem is - at the 53rd slot he has to make the team - even if he doesn't make the team he has to make the team
So Jalen Hurts will be on the Eagles roster for at least 3 years regardless of his ability or progress
because he was taken in the 2nd round

:nod:
Huh? You think he's not good enough to even be on the team? You don't think he can beat out Nate Sudfeld, the Eagles current backup? I'm probably more positive than most people on Sudfeld, but geesh, I'm pretty sure Hurts is a better potential QB than Sudfeld is. Heck, the Eagles do - last year the Eagles determined that the fossilized Josh McCown was a better QB than Sudfeld. I'm not worried about Hurts not earning a roster spot.