2018 NHL Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: 2018 NHL Thread

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote:Jesus, Hen. Are you ever satisfied with anything? In a normal year, Ovie would be on the golf course by now. :coffee:
You obviously haven't been paying attention the Caps history. Tampa has been down 0-2 losing both at home once before and came back to win the series, against... guess who?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Jesus, Hen. Are you ever satisfied with anything? In a normal year, Ovie would be on the golf course by now. :coffee:
You obviously haven't been paying attention the Caps history. Tampa has been down 0-2 losing both at home once before and came back to win the series, against... guess who?
Talked to a customer in DC today, he isn't watching the playoffs this year, doesn't want to jinx the Caps, after watching them loose to the Pens all those other years.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: You obviously haven't been paying attention the Caps history. Tampa has been down 0-2 losing both at home once before and came back to win the series, against... guess who?
Talked to a customer in DC today, he isn't watching the playoffs this year, doesn't want to jinx the Caps, after watching them loose to the Pens all those other years.
I'd say the fact that they are more loose is why they didn't lose to the Pens.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Talked to a customer in DC today, he isn't watching the playoffs this year, doesn't want to jinx the Caps, after watching them lose to the Pens all those other years.
I'd say the fact that they are more loose is why they didn't lose to the Pens.
Knot grabing thoose stix two tite.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Vegas ties up the series 1-1

SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

I totally forgot there was a hockey game last night, but I see my team won! Yay!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote:I totally forgot there was a hockey game last night, but I see my team won! Yay!
Oh, this is starting to get good. :D
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

89Hen wrote:
:suspicious:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote:I totally forgot there was a hockey game last night, but I see my team won! Yay!
Caps really dominated this game. Tampa went through a 21 minute stretch without registering a shot on goal. :evil:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Caps really dominated this game. Tampa went through a 21 minute stretch without registering a shot on goal. :evil:
*Refs (Note: not saying they were bad calls though)

One power play led to another, to another, to another...... :ohno: .......and the Caps couldn't score with them.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote:
89Hen wrote: Caps really dominated this game. Tampa went through a 21 minute stretch without registering a shot on goal. :evil:
*Refs (Note: not saying they were bad calls though)

One power play led to another, to another, to another...... :ohno: .......and the Caps couldn't score with them.
But you really only can say that if they were bad calls. The one trip was pretty weak, but the others were legit penalties. No glaring errors like earlier games. They did their job and were not a factor in the game.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

Go Bolts!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Vegas, what a story, whether they win the cup or not.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Gil Dobie wrote:Vegas, what a story, whether they win the cup or not.
Fucking sand burglars shouldn’t be in the league.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ivytalk wrote:
**** sand burglars shouldn’t be in the league.
Possibly 2 teams, sand and swamp. Popular hockey area's of North America.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: **** sand burglars shouldn’t be in the league.
Possibly 2 teams, sand and swamp. Popular hockey area's of North America.
Gil, if that happens, it will be the lowest-rated SC finals ever. :mrgreen:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

A story of how the NHL fucked up. Sorry, no expansion team should ever be good enough in their first season to make it this far, hell even make the playoffs. Really not fair to the teams that are slogging it out year after year to build... ESPECIALLY the more recent expansion teams. This is bullshit. :nod: :evil:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote:
A story of how the NHL **** up. Sorry, no expansion team should ever be good enough in their first season to make it this far, hell even make the playoffs. Really not fair to the teams that are slogging it out year after year to build... ESPECIALLY the more recent expansion teams. This is bullshit. :nod: :evil:
Absolutely right, 89. All those Vegas fans understand is hookers and blow.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
A story of how the NHL **** up. Sorry, no expansion team should ever be good enough in their first season to make it this far, hell even make the playoffs. Really not fair to the teams that are slogging it out year after year to build... ESPECIALLY the more recent expansion teams. This is bullshit. :nod: :evil:
What was not fair for Vegas? Was something different about the expansion draft this time? I thought they still had a pretty uninspiring roster and somehow they are winning anyway. That's what the real kicker is for the NHL - the Flyers are just one of many teams that haven't won in a generation and apparently it's because they've been mucking it up for years since all you have to do to win in the NHL is pull a random group of players together that other teams don't want and you can win right away.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: A story of how the NHL **** up. Sorry, no expansion team should ever be good enough in their first season to make it this far, hell even make the playoffs. Really not fair to the teams that are slogging it out year after year to build... ESPECIALLY the more recent expansion teams. This is bullshit. :nod: :evil:
What was not fair for Vegas? Was something different about the expansion draft this time?
Yes, vastly. I'm in no way saying Vegas cheated or didn't do a great job with obtaining players, but the NHL did change the draft rules. They shrunk the number of how many players teams could protect.

The last expansion was in 2000 and teams could protect either: one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards OR two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards.

This go round you could only protect either: one goaltender, three defensemen and seven forwards OR one goaltender and eight skaters (forwards/defensemen).

Furthermore, there were two teams drafting instead of one in 2000 so the pool was basically half the size.

Futher-furthermore, two of the existing NHL teams were able to protect their entire rosters in 2000 because they were still fairly new themselves.

Vegas was the beneficiary of a big change in rules. If I'm Columbus or Minnesota, I'm suing the league. :nod:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:a random group of players together that other teams don't want
BTW, not sure if you're fishing or ignorant. Teams did NOT want to give up these players. Caps lost what would have been their second best defenseman this year and HUGE fan favorite.

phpBB [video]
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
What was not fair for Vegas? Was something different about the expansion draft this time?
Yes, vastly. I'm in no way saying Vegas cheated or didn't do a great job with obtaining players, but the NHL did change the draft rules. They shrunk the number of how many players teams could protect.

The last expansion was in 2000 and teams could protect either: one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards OR two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards.

This go round you could only protect either: one goaltender, three defensemen and seven forwards OR one goaltender and eight skaters (forwards/defensemen).

Furthermore, there were two teams drafting instead of one in 2000 so the pool was basically half the size.

Futher-furthermore, two of the existing NHL teams were able to protect their entire rosters in 2000 because they were still fairly new themselves.

Vegas was the beneficiary of a big change in rules. If I'm Columbus or Minnesota, I'm suing the league. :nod:
See, I didn't know that.

But with all that being said, wasn't Vegas like a 500-1 longshot to win the Stanley Cup this year? Weren't most people picking them to be a middle of the road team at best this year? Most people thought they would suck, favorable expansion draft rules non-withstanding, yet here they are four wins from hoisting the Cup. What gives?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:a random group of players together that other teams don't want
BTW, not sure if you're fishing or ignorant. Teams did NOT want to give up these players. Caps lost what would have been their second best defenseman this year and HUGE fan favorite.

phpBB [video]
If the Caps, depending on the scenario, could have protected three or five defensemen, how did they end up losing their second best one? Sounds like the Caps missing the ball on that one. :coffee:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:See, I didn't know that.

But with all that being said, wasn't Vegas like a 500-1 longshot to win the Stanley Cup this year? Weren't most people picking them to be a middle of the road team at best this year? Most people thought they would suck, favorable expansion draft rules non-withstanding, yet here they are four wins from hoisting the Cup. What gives?
People aren't very savvy when it comes to hockey and nobody was honestly paying attention to how much the expansion draft had changed. Just the simple fact that there were more teams in the league and half the number of expansion teams picking this go round means Vegas was likely to have twice the talent that the Wild and Blue Jackets had for their draft.