2018-19 Big Sky Basketball

College Hoops discussion
JALMOND
Level3
Level3
Posts: 3400
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:04 pm
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Re: 2018-19 Big Sky Basketball

Postby JALMOND » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:53 am

SDHornet wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
I don't think Sac State has gone beyond the talk phase on a new arena. PSU finally got their new arena, though. It's not big, but it's bigger than the old Stott Center and way nicer—of course, even Hornet Gym was nicer than the old Stott Center. :?

Define "talk phase".

President Nelsen highlighted 2 main capital improvement projects when he came on board in fall '16: a new science building and an events center. The science building opens fall '19. I think his full focus now goes towards getting the event center done. I'm encouraged that the event center gets done under Nelsen's leadership. I've heard we got some feasibility studies done, and I've heard we are in the fund raising stage (i.e. getting naming rights, large donations, etc). We'll see how it goes but we've got a mover and shaker occupying the Presidents office.


Two things that happened that moved the Pavilion from talk to action was the partnership established between PSU and OHSU (the big medical facility in Portland), and longtime Blazers radio personality Bill Schonely came on board. Simply put, the Pavilion would not have gone anywhere without the matching donation from OHSU. As for Schonely, he is like EF Hutton in Portland (when he talks, people listen), and every chance we had, he was there speaking on behalf of the project. He brought credibility to the project.

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 11349
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: 2018-19 Big Sky Basketball

Postby SDHornet » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:21 pm

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
SDHornet wrote:Define "talk phase".

President Nelsen highlighted 2 main capital improvement projects when he came on board in fall '16: a new science building and an events center. The science building opens fall '19. I think his full focus now goes towards getting the event center done. I'm encouraged that the event center gets done under Nelsen's leadership. I've heard we got some feasibility studies done, and I've heard we are in the fund raising stage (i.e. getting naming rights, large donations, etc). We'll see how it goes but we've got a mover and shaker occupying the Presidents office.


Well, I was thinking of "fundraising stage" & "talk phase" as basically being the same thing.

Talk phase>planning/permitting/study phase>funding/fundraising phase>design/permitting (yes again) phase>construction phase

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10352
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: 2018-19 Big Sky Basketball

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Wow… NoCo's women lost to last-place Weber at home. :?

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10352
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

1/17 Scores

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:50 am

    Men

    PSU 69-83 SUU; The Vikings win the boards 38-18, but lose turnovers 25-15
    ISU 59-76 WEB; Wildcats win shooting 54%-33%
    SAC 66-64 NAU; Joshua Patton goes 13/17 and scores a career-high 34 (including the game-winner)



    Women

    SUU 49-63 PSU; Viks win second-half shooting 55%-29%
    NAU 61-65 SAC; Regan Schenck goes 0/11 from the field and 0/9 from three :?
    WEB 55-54 UNC; The Bears end Weber's 10-game losing streak in front of a couple thousand school kids

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10352
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

1/19 Scores

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:07 am

    Men

    MSU 81-85 EWU; Tyler Hall breaks Bogdan Bliznyuk's career Big Sky scoring record
    UMT 69-51 IDA; Idaho had three 5+ minute scoring droughts
    SAC 71-76 SUU; Suutah holds on despite losing turnovers 17-1 in the second half :?
    UNC 64-78 WEB; Wildcats win second-half shooting 59%-38%
    PSU 75-82 NAU; The Viks are shooting 28% from the arc, ranking in the bottom-10 nationally



    Women

    NAU 55-72 PSU; Vikings win three-point shooting 59%-17%
    SUU 76-77 SAC; Kennedy Nicholas gets 22 points and a career-high 20 rebounds
    IDA 79-82 UMT; Jace Henderson gets a career-high 31 points and 12 rebounds
    EWU 89-87 MSU (OT); Violet Kapri Morrow scores a career-high 37, 10 coming in overtime
    ISU 56-60 UNC; Bengal coach Seton Sobolewski gets a game-losing technical with 2 seconds left :lol:

User avatar
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
Posts: 15340
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:24 pm
I am a fan of: Sac State
Location: Lodi, CA

Re: 2018-19 Big Sky Basketball

Postby SuperHornet » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:14 pm

Our girls win two in a row. I wonder how many fans are STILL calling for the dismissal of Bunky Harkleroad....
Image

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10352
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: 2018-19 Big Sky Basketball

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:57 pm

SuperHornet wrote:Our girls win two in a row. I wonder how many fans are STILL calling for the dismissal of Bunky Harkleroad....


Probably quite a few, at least to the extent that there are Sac State fans calling for anything. Sac just beat 2 of the weakest teams in the league at home, they're only 6-8 even after those wins, and they're still coming off 3-straight losing seasons and 2-straight 20-loss seasons.

It may come down to how good the future looks. The Hornets clearly have a depth problem this year because they haven't been able to run the full Westhead-style like I'm sure Harkleroad wants. The question is whether that's just an injury issue or if it's a recruiting issue.

User avatar
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 11349
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:50 pm
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: 2018-19 Big Sky Basketball

Postby SDHornet » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:55 am

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
SuperHornet wrote:Our girls win two in a row. I wonder how many fans are STILL calling for the dismissal of Bunky Harkleroad....


Probably quite a few, at least to the extent that there are Sac State fans calling for anything. Sac just beat 2 of the weakest teams in the league at home, they're only 6-8 even after those wins, and they're still coming off 3-straight losing seasons and 2-straight 20-loss seasons.

It may come down to how good the future looks. The Hornets clearly have a depth problem this year because they haven't been able to run the full Westhead-style like I'm sure Harkleroad wants. The question is whether that's just an injury issue or if it's a recruiting issue.

Yeah I think Bunky is gone unless they have a good showing in BSC play followed by a deep run in the BSCT.

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10352
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

1/21 Score

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:36 am

    Men

    UNC 77-53 ISU; The Bears go 13/27 from the arc while the Bengals go 2/17

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10352
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Post-Week-4 Standings

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:08 am

      Men

      1. Weber State___________6-1_____12-6_____ W3
      2. Northern Colorado____6-2_____12-7_____ W1
      3. Montana ______________5-2_____12-6_____ W2
      4. Montana State ________4-3______7-10____ L2
      5. Southern Utah ________4-3______9-7_____ W4
      6. Eastern Washington___3-3______5-12____ W2
      7. Northern Arizona _____3-4______5-12____ W1
      8. Idaho State ___________3-4______7-9_____ L2
      9. Portland State_________1-5______6-11____ L3
      10.Sacramento State _____1-5______7-8_____ L1
      11.Idaho _________________1-5______4-13____ L3



      Women

      1. Portland State_________5-1_____13-2_____ W5
      2. Northern Colorado____6-2_____11-6_____ W1
      3. Idaho State ___________5-2_____10-6_____ L1
      4. Idaho _________________4-2______7-8_____ L1
      5. Montana State ________4-3______9-8_____ L1
      6. Montana ______________4-3______9-7_____ W1
      7. Eastern Washington___3-3______4-11____ W2
      8. Sacramento State _____2-4______6-8_____ W2
      9. Southern Utah ________2-5______5-11____ L2
      10.Northern Arizona _____1-6______5-11____ L4
      11.Weber State___________1-6______4-13____ W1

css75
Level2
Level2
Posts: 1513
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 pm

Re: 2018-19 Big Sky Basketball

Postby css75 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:38 am

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
    Men

    UNC 77-53 ISU; The Bears go 13/27 from the arc while the Bengals go 2/17



Watched it on Pluto, Bengals really soiled the sheets.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10352
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

POTW - Week 11

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:57 pm


Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10352
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

1/24 Scores

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:35 am

    Men

    EWU 65-78 PSU; Viks shoot a season-high 60%; their previous high against a DI was 46% against Riverside :?
    IDA 48-69 SAC; Marcus Graves gets 14 points and 10 assists
    ISU 69-80 UMT; Jamar Akoh gets 22 points, 17 rebounds, and 4 steals
    WEB 93-84 MSU; Weber has won 8 of 9 and is scoring 84.6 ppg over that stretch
    SUU 68-79 UNC; Jordan Davis scores 36 points on 82% shooting



    Women

    PSU 76-64 EWU; Vikings win the third quarter 20-5
    SAC 66-104 IDA; The Vandals make 18 treys to Sac's 2
    UMT 34-50 ISU; The Bengals set a school record for fewest points allowed against a DI
    UNC 71-44 SUU; Suutah actually led 14-3 early :?
    MSU 66-59 WEB; Weber goes 3/19 from the arc and blows a 10-point halftime lead

User avatar
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 10414
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:42 pm
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian
Location: Missoula, MT

Re: 2018-19 Big Sky Basketball

Postby Vidav » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:56 pm

Did anyone see what happened to cause the fight in the second half of the Griz game? I was there but wasn't looking.
93 had something to do with this:
Image

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10352
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

1/26 Scores

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:02 am

    Men

    IDA 53-69 PSU; Vikings win consecutive DI games for the first time this season
    EWU 94-92 SAC (OT); Eastern wins despite blowing a 10-point lead with 4:00 left
    UNC 63-48 NAU; NoCo's starters only shot 36%, but their bench shot 50%
    WEB 68-75 UMT; Griz win points-off-turnovers 25-0
    ISU 84-104 MSU; The Bengals shot 59% in the first half, but lost turnovers 13-1 in that frame



    Women

    SAC 73-70 EWU; Hornets shoot a season-high 48%
    PSU 78-80 IDA; The Vandals somehow win the boards by 11 against the much larger Vikings
    MSU 43-61 ISU; Bobcats shoot 14% in the second half :suspicious:
    UMT 72-60 WEB; Lady Griz hit a season-high 9 treys and get all five starters in double figures
    NAU 53-63 UNC; Savannah Smith scores 30, 24 coming in the second half

User avatar
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 40272
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: 1/26 Scores

Postby kalm » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:02 am

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
    Men

    IDA 53-69 PSU; Vikings win consecutive DI games for the first time this season
    EWU 94-92 SAC (OT); Eastern wins despite blowing a 10-point lead with 4:00 left
    UNC 63-48 NAU; NoCo's starters only shot 36%, but their bench shot 50%
    WEB 68-75 UMT; Griz win points-off-turnovers 25-0
    ISU 84-104 MSU; The Bengals shot 59% in the first half, but lost turnovers 13-1 in that frame



    Women

    SAC 73-70 EWU; Hornets shoot a season-high 48%
    PSU 78-80 IDA; The Vandals somehow win the boards by 11 against the much larger Vikings
    MSU 43-61 ISU; Bobcats shoot 14% in the second half :suspicious:
    UMT 72-60 WEB; Lady Griz hit a season-high 9 treys and get all five starters in double figures
    NAU 53-63 UNC; Savannah Smith scores 30, 24 coming in the second half


Eastern didn’t handle the Hornet press very well. But other than Peatling and Hunt, we’re very young and showing some signs of improvement.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 49237
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: 2018-19 Big Sky Basketball

Postby AZGrizFan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:13 am

Vidav wrote:Did anyone see what happened to cause the fight in the second half of the Griz game? I was there but wasn't looking.


I watched the whole game on Pluto....didn’t see a fight.
"Ah ****. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 49237
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: 1/26 Scores

Postby AZGrizFan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:14 am

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
    Men

    IDA 53-69 PSU; Vikings win consecutive DI games for the first time this season
    EWU 94-92 SAC (OT); Eastern wins despite blowing a 10-point lead with 4:00 left
    UNC 63-48 NAU; NoCo's starters only shot 36%, but their bench shot 50%
    WEB 68-75 UMT; Griz win points-off-turnovers 25-0
    ISU 84-104 MSU; The Bengals shot 59% in the first half, but lost turnovers 13-1 in that frame



    Women

    SAC 73-70 EWU; Hornets shoot a season-high 48%
    PSU 78-80 IDA; The Vandals somehow win the boards by 11 against the much larger Vikings
    MSU 43-61 ISU; Bobcats shoot 14% in the second half :suspicious:
    UMT 72-60 WEB; Lady Griz hit a season-high 9 treys and get all five starters in double figures
    NAU 53-63 UNC; Savannah Smith scores 30, 24 coming in the second half


Griz better figure some **** out. They were up on Weber 32-10. 32-10!!! And that game got down to a four point lead with about 3 minutes to play. :ohno: :ohno:
"Ah ****. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

User avatar
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 10414
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:42 pm
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian
Location: Missoula, MT

Re: 2018-19 Big Sky Basketball

Postby Vidav » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:49 am

AZGrizFan wrote:
Vidav wrote:Did anyone see what happened to cause the fight in the second half of the Griz game? I was there but wasn't looking.


I watched the whole game on Pluto....didn’t see a fight.


At one point Rorie was getting in the face of a Weber player and had to be pulled back. Randy Ray even got involved. But I didn't see what upset him.
93 had something to do with this:
Image

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10352
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: 2018-19 Big Sky Basketball

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:39 am

Vidav wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
I watched the whole game on Pluto....didn’t see a fight.


At one point Rorie was getting in the face of a Weber player and had to be pulled back. Randy Ray even got involved. But I didn't see what upset him.


Rorie got into it with a Weber player (not sure which one), but I don't think it elevated beyond shouting. The refs started officiating the game a bit tighter after that.
Last edited by Mvemjsunpx on Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10352
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: 1/26 Scores

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:49 am

AZGrizFan wrote:Griz better figure some **** out. They were up on Weber 32-10. 32-10!!! And that game got down to a four point lead with about 3 minutes to play. :ohno: :ohno:


Eh, this kind of thing isn't that unusual in college basketball. We all knew the Griz weren't going to win by 22. Weber isn't Idaho.

User avatar
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 49237
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:40 pm
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate
Location: Just to the right of center

Re: 1/26 Scores

Postby AZGrizFan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:43 pm

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Griz better figure some **** out. They were up on Weber 32-10. 32-10!!! And that game got down to a four point lead with about 3 minutes to play. :ohno: :ohno:


Eh, this kind of thing isn't that unusual in college basketball. We all knew the Griz weren't going to win by 22. Weber isn't Idaho.


If you’ve got a 22 point lead on a team, that game’s outcome should never again be in question. Griz have made a habit of letting teams back into games....it’s gonna bite em in the ass...
"Ah ****. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Image

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10352
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: 1/26 Scores

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:56 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
Eh, this kind of thing isn't that unusual in college basketball. We all knew the Griz weren't going to win by 22. Weber isn't Idaho.


If you’ve got a 22 point lead on a team, that game’s outcome should never again be in question. Griz have made a habit of letting teams back into games....it’s gonna bite em in the ass...


Most teams don't lead by 22 that early in the game, either, so Weber had a lot of time to regroup. Hell, the Lady Griz led SFPA by 20 in the fourth quarter and only won by 2.

You're right that the Griz do have something of a problem in this department, but—given the general fickleness of college basketball—I don't think it's as big as you're making it out to be.

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10352
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

1/28 Scores

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:01 am

    Men

    SUU 77-80 NAU (OT); The 'Jacks have committed single-digit turnovers in 4 of their last 5 games



    Women

    NAU 78-69 SUU; The 'Jacks shoot 51% in the first half and get just their 2nd. win in their last 13 games

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10352
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Post-Week-5 Standings

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:34 am

      Men

      1. Northern Colorado____8-2_____14-7_____ W3
      2. Montana ______________7-2_____14-6_____ W4
      3. Weber State___________7-2_____13-7_____ L1
      4. Montana State ________5-4______8-11____ W1
      5. Eastern Washington___4-4______6-13____ W1
      6. Northern Arizona _____4-5______6-13____ W1
      7. Southern Utah ________4-5______9-9_____ L2
      8. Portland State_________3-5______8-11____ W2
      9. Idaho State ___________3-6______7-11____ L4
      10.Sacramento State _____2-6______8-9_____ L1
      11.Idaho _________________1-7______4-15____ L5



      Women

      1. Northern Colorado____8-2_____13-6_____ W3
      2. Idaho State ___________7-2_____12-6_____ W2
      3. Idaho _________________6-2______9-8_____ W2
      4. Portland State_________6-2_____14-3_____ L1
      5. Montana State ________5-4_____10-9_____ L1
      6. Montana ______________5-4_____10-8_____ W1
      7. Sacramento State _____3-5______7-9_____ W1
      8. Eastern Washington___3-5______4-13____ L2
      9. Northern Arizona _____2-7______6-12____ W1
      10.Southern Utah ________2-7______5-13____ L4
      11.Weber State___________1-8______4-15____ L2


Return to “College Hoops”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests