Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: March Madness 2018

Post by 89Hen »

CID1990 wrote:
89Hen wrote: :nod:
Neither of you Philistines grew up in Tobacco Road
Correct, but neither did 98% of the Duke haters in the country. That's the point.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

March Madness 2018

Post by CID1990 »

89Hen wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Correct, but neither did 98% of the Duke haters in the country. That's the point.
Well the smug prickiness of Duke is detectable from thousands of miles away so I forgive those foreign haters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
89Hen wrote: Correct, but neither did 98% of the Duke haters in the country. That's the point.
Well the smug prickiness of Duke is detectable from thousands of miles away so I forgive those foreign haters

Careful, CID, or you’ll get a cease-and-desist letter from Cleets’s trademark lawyer.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

And BTW

It’s spelled “dook”
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: March Madness 2018

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Dook is kind of like the Dallas Cowboys - fans and haters around the country. I'm a hater.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

CID1990 wrote:And BTW

It’s spelled “dook”
Well, we had Christine Laettner on the Timberwolves for 3.5 years. Doubt you can beat that for a reason to hate that team. I was at the draft party at the Target Center. 1st pick Shaq, 2nd pick Mourning, then the Wolves pick Laettner. The building nearly deflated. They also take the best players out of Minnesota High Schools. It's a 4 letter word, so I'm not going to say the name.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:
89Hen wrote: Correct, but neither did 98% of the Duke haters in the country. That's the point.

This. All of this.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote:

It’s spelled “dook”
Well, we had Christine Laettner on the Timberwolves for 3.5 years. Doubt you can beat that for a reason to hate that team. I was at the draft party at the Target Center. 1st pick Shaq, 2nd pick Mourning, then the Wolves pick Laettner. The building nearly deflated. They also take the best players out of Minnesota High Schools. It's a 4 letter word, so I'm not going to say the name.
Wasn't really that deep of a draft after those 3. Latrell Sprewell was an unknown at the time and he went #27. Only those 4 plus Tom Gugliatta ever made an all star team out of that draft.

And hey, Laettner played for Duke almost 30 years ago now. People that are hung up on him have missed a lot of great players and teams since then.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Re: RE: Re: March Madness 2018

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote:
Dook is kind of like the Dallas Cowboys - fans and haters around the country. I'm a hater.
Difference is Duke is good, Dallas used to be good - a long time ago.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: March Madness 2018

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Dook is kind of like the Dallas Cowboys - fans and haters around the country. I'm a hater.
So a Dook fan today is similar to a Cowboy fan from the 70's & 80's. Glad we cleared that up.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Wasn't really that deep of a draft after those 3. Latrell Sprewell was an unknown at the time and he went #27. Only those 4 plus Tom Gugliatta ever made an all star team out of that draft.

And hey, Laettner played for Duke almost 30 years ago now. People that are hung up on him have missed a lot of great players and teams since then.
He made that bad of an impression.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: March Madness 2018

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
So a Dook fan today is similar to a Cowboy fan from the 70's & 80's. Glad we cleared that up.
Haters gotta hate.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: March Madness 2018

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:So a Dook fan today is similar to a Cowboy fan from the 70's & 80's. Glad we cleared that up.
Haters gotta hate.
And playas gonna play.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: March Madness 2018

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Haters gotta hate.
And playas gonna play.
And they do, although the best playas are picking Duke to play at these days. The 2018 recruiting class, after Zion Williamson picked Duke earlier this year (over in-state South Carolina, Clemson, as well as Kentucky), Duke has the #1, #2, and #3 rated recruits coming out of high school for the coming year. They also have the #8 recruit too when you throw Tre Jones in as well. Not every current Duke player is leaving so they should be stacked next year.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: March Madness 2018

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:And playas gonna play.
And they do, although the best playas are picking Duke to play at these days. The 2018 recruiting class, after Zion Williamson picked Duke earlier this year (over in-state South Carolina, Clemson, as well as Kentucky), Duke has the #1, #2, and #3 rated recruits coming out of high school for the coming year. They also have the #8 recruit too when you throw Tre Jones in as well. Not every current Duke player is leaving so they should be stacked next year.
On second thought Dook fans are more like Patriot fans than Cowboy fans.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: March Madness 2018

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
On second thought Dook fans are more like Patriot fans than Cowboy fans.
Minus the blind support of rampant cheating, of course. :thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: March Madness 2018

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:On second thought Dook fans are more like Patriot fans than Cowboy fans.
Bandwagon jumpers are bandwagon jumpers. You're arguing about degrees of how far you will go to support a "winner."
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Bandwagon jumpers are bandwagon jumpers. You're arguing about degrees of how far you will go to support a "winner."
Eh, I started to like Duke in the mid 80's (still a UD and a Big 5 fan first) when I wasn't a fan of Michael Jordan (ironically, didn't like him when he was young, but learned to appreciate and like him as his career went along). So rooting against UNC led me to root for Duke. I don't recall them winning a lot of national titles in the 80's, so I'm good with that. Besides, they play attractive basketball, nothing wrong about appreciating well played basketball.

Heck, I'd argue that the real bandwagoning are the folks who just hate Duke to hate Duke. No tie in to the area, and your team doesn't play them much, if ever, and yet you still hate them. That's a textbook definition of jumping a bandwagon. Either that or go back to my original premise of the hate being irrational. Take your pick.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Gil Dobie wrote:

It’s spelled “dook”
If Bobby Hurley hadnt had his accident and played in the NBA, national dook hate would have been even higher

Hurley made Laettner a likable guy

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
If Bobby Hurley hadnt had his accident and played in the NBA, national dook hate would have been even higher

Then came Grayson Allen
:thumb:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Then came Grayson Allen
Yeah Coach Scheschevsky thought the Laettner effect was tailing off so he needed to refresh things a bit

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Bandwagon jumpers are bandwagon jumpers. You're arguing about degrees of how far you will go to support a "winner."
Eh, I started to like Duke in the mid 80's (still a UD and a Big 5 fan first) when I wasn't a fan of Michael Jordan (ironically, didn't like him when he was young, but learned to appreciate and like him as his career went along). So rooting against UNC led me to root for Duke. I don't recall them winning a lot of national titles in the 80's, so I'm good with that. Besides, they play attractive basketball, nothing wrong about appreciating well played basketball.

Heck, I'd argue that the real bandwagoning are the folks who just hate Duke to hate Duke. No tie in to the area, and your team doesn't play them much, if ever, and yet you still hate them. That's a textbook definition of jumping a bandwagon. Either that or go back to my original premise of the hate being irrational. Take your pick.
So Dook is your 7th favorite team? Or is it? What about Notre Dame? How do you spread your loyalty around so much?

Seriously, I can respect someone who picks a team early and stays with them. Of course, my son has done the same thing with the Patriots so maybe there are more similarities than you are comfortable admitting.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CID1990 wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

Laettner was traded shortly after this incident. Even his teammates disliked him.

Laettner wore out his welcome in Minnesota by feuding with Kevin Garnett, the rookie expected to be the team's future franchise player.It all started during last Sunday's loss (naturally) to Washington. Laettner and Garnett argued in a timeout huddle, and continued as they headed back onto the floor. After the game, Laettner told a writer from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, "You need certain people to shut their mouths. You've got to have the rookies and the young kids shut up, you've got to have the coaches and the veterans take care of the team. We've got some big britches on this team. We've got a lot of people who know everything."
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Laettner was traded shortly after this incident. Even his teammates disliked him.

Laettner wore out his welcome in Minnesota by feuding with Kevin Garnett, the rookie expected to be the team's future franchise player.It all started during last Sunday's loss (naturally) to Washington. Laettner and Garnett argued in a timeout huddle, and continued as they headed back onto the floor. After the game, Laettner told a writer from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, "You need certain people to shut their mouths. You've got to have the rookies and the young kids shut up, you've got to have the coaches and the veterans take care of the team. We've got some big britches on this team. We've got a lot of people who know everything."
That’s Laettner, describing every dook grad ever

Too big for britches

Ironic
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

JJ Redick was hated but that was more of jealousy, IMO.

Unfortunately, he played for Dook.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17