College Hoops discussion
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: Games Thread (Men) 2014-2015

Post by dal4018 »

As stated before they relaxed big time vs.Columbia.The Lions used a held ball strategy and if moral victories mean anything then Columbia won big time.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Let me know the next time a moral victory wins a game.

I think the current record is about 0-126,581,548,612,015
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

tribe_pride wrote:
vutomcat wrote:

Hard to believe a team with a bunch of Freshman are bored 15 games into their first college basketball season. But if that's the case, and their interest and concentration is that low, they will probably lose again just like last year.
This is a much better Kentucky team than last year's team. At this point last year, they were 1-3 against teams that were ranked when they played them having beaten Louisville and losing to UNC, Baylor and Michigan State. Going into the NCAA tourney, they were 1-6 against teams that were ranked when they played them losing 3 times to Florida as well.

They'll likely lose a game or 2 somewhere but the majority of their first 10 (9 now that Poythress got injured for the year) could be in the NBA next year. Remember they have already beaten the current #12 ranked Kansas team by 32, current #10 ranked Texas squad by 12, current #18 UNC by 14, and current #5 Louisville by 8. They are stepping it up in the games that matter to them. Only Arkansas out of the rest of the SEC is ranked at #23 so they can afford to relax right now and have fun until the tourney.

Does this mean they'll be undefeated? No. Just means that they have been stepping it up so far when it counts and relaxing in some of the other games.
Yup, can't argue with this. They're better than the team that "failed" last year by only getting to the national title game. :lol:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

GannonFan wrote:
tribe_pride wrote:
This is a much better Kentucky team than last year's team. At this point last year, they were 1-3 against teams that were ranked when they played them having beaten Louisville and losing to UNC, Baylor and Michigan State. Going into the NCAA tourney, they were 1-6 against teams that were ranked when they played them losing 3 times to Florida as well.

They'll likely lose a game or 2 somewhere but the majority of their first 10 (9 now that Poythress got injured for the year) could be in the NBA next year. Remember they have already beaten the current #12 ranked Kansas team by 32, current #10 ranked Texas squad by 12, current #18 UNC by 14, and current #5 Louisville by 8. They are stepping it up in the games that matter to them. Only Arkansas out of the rest of the SEC is ranked at #23 so they can afford to relax right now and have fun until the tourney.

Does this mean they'll be undefeated? No. Just means that they have been stepping it up so far when it counts and relaxing in some of the other games.
Yup, can't argue with this. They're better than the team that "failed" last year by only getting to the national title game. :lol:
:lol: Not arguing they were bad last year and in fact know that they were extremely good (though I was surprised to see their regular season record against ranked teams was so poor) but they are so much better and deeper this year than they were last year. A lot of that is because they only really lost 2 great guys from that team last year and added a ton of Freshman talent to go along with the other guys gaining a year of experience.

Last year's team had 4 guys playing 30-33 minutes per game, 1 playing 24 and 2 others in the teens. This year's team has 6 guys playing between 20-26 minutes and 4 other guys playing in the teens though you can take out 1 of the 20 minute guys since Poythress is out. This Kentucky team is just extremely deep.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

tribe_pride wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
:lol: Not arguing they were bad last year and in fact know that they were extremely good (though I was surprised to see their regular season record against ranked teams was so poor) but they are so much better and deeper this year than they were last year. A lot of that is because they only really lost 2 great guys from that team last year and added a ton of Freshman talent to go along with the other guys gaining a year of experience.

Last year's team had 4 guys playing 30-33 minutes per game, 1 playing 24 and 2 others in the teens. This year's team has 6 guys playing between 20-26 minutes and 4 other guys playing in the teens though you can take out 1 of the 20 minute guys since Poythress is out. This Kentucky team is just extremely deep.
Well, Calipari never thought all those guys would stay - it's just not the MO of his system. So they did stay and he still had another bumper crop of young studs coming in and he's stuck with maybe too many good players.

Still, while they're probably the favorites to win it, in reality, anyone in that top 5 or 6 can beat anyone else in that group so they're only a slim favorite. Should make for a great Elite Eight and Final Four though.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Harvard 57, Dartmouth 46
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

#23 UNI stomps Drake 64-40 and moves to 14-2.

Was a 31-29 game at half time. UNI started the second half on a 25-2 run and with 3:47 left in the game Drake had just 5 of their 11 second half points.

UNI pulled the breaks off the offense at 59-31 and started running the entire play clock.

Game could have been about 80-40 had the pressure stayed on
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

GannonFan wrote:
tribe_pride wrote:

Well, Calipari never thought all those guys would stay - it's just not the MO of his system. So they did stay and he still had another bumper crop of young studs coming in and he's stuck with maybe too many good players.

Still, while they're probably the favorites to win it, in reality, anyone in that top 5 or 6 can beat anyone else in that group so they're only a slim favorite. Should make for a great Elite Eight and Final Four though.
Calpari survived another nailbiter vs Tx.A&M.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Ivytalk wrote:Harvard 57, Dartmouth 46
Who is the top scorer for the Crimson????
bonarae
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas

Post by bonarae »

dal4018 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Harvard 57, Dartmouth 46
Who is the top scorer for the Crimson????
Far and away, Wesley Saunders at 16.2 ppg. Corbin Miller is at distant second at 9.5 ppg.
Top two wishes of Ivy football fans everywhere: Playoff participation by the Ivy champion and the diversification of opponents in scheduling games.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

I wonder if Saunders is a good defender???
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

Duke gets smoked at home. Coach L vs Coach K a mismatch?
Make Delaware Football Great Again
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Post by DSUrocks07 »

bluehenbillk wrote:Duke gets smoked at home. Coach L vs Coach K a mismatch?
The U is now a basketball school.

Bittersweet actually.
MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

It's still early. All that really matters is March. Although, again, a game like last night shows yet again that anything that happens before New Years is really just the exhibition season.
tampajag
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: whooties
A.K.A.: hamburger pimp

Post by tampajag »

DSUrocks07 wrote:
The U is now a basketball school.

Bittersweet actually.
it's good to excel at something :thumb: but seriously, nice win.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2

Post by tribe_pride »

The U for some reason has always given Duke trouble. They are probably top 2 or 3 in wins over Duke in the last 10 years.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

#22 UNI picks up another double digit road conference victory

Now at 15-2 on the season
bonarae
Level2
Level2

Post by bonarae »

Harvard lost to BC, 64-57.

Wonder if we're relegated to the CBI come March if we don't excel in the 14-game tournament... :?
Top two wishes of Ivy football fans everywhere: Playoff participation by the Ivy champion and the diversification of opponents in scheduling games.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

tampajag wrote:
DSUrocks07 wrote: The U is now a basketball school.

Bittersweet actually.
Possible makings of a rivalry????
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

tribe_pride wrote:The U for some reason has always given Duke trouble. They are probably top 2 or 3 in wins over Duke in the last 10 years.
The U put their hoops program on the map after beating Duke a couple of years ago I thought they were final 4 material!!!!
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

tribe_pride wrote:The U for some reason has always given Duke trouble. They are probably top 2 or 3 in wins over Duke in the last 10 years.
Hey t_p, what was that W&M game last night all about? The Tribe was down 20 at halftime, but won by 4. :shock:
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2

Post by tribe_pride »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Hey t_p, what was that W&M game last night all about? The Tribe was down 20 at halftime, but won by 4. :shock:
Insane comeback. Thought we were going to lose at half. Thornton got more involved in the 2nd half, we cut down on turnovers and UNCW did not shoot 70% or so in the 2nd half like the first half. Shaver does a good job of making adjustments but we have not started out games strong.

We were able to cut down the lead slowly but steadily throughout the 2nd half and our 3 pointers help. Down 14 in the under16 and down 10 by the under12 puts you right back into the game so that when it reached the under 8 we were only down 2 and it was a new game. Unfortunately, students are not back yet so it was not as much of a home game crowd as will be later in the year but great comeback for a win.

Need to take care of Towson then Delaware in the next 2 games away because the other co-first place teams Northeastern and Hofstra are coming to the Williamsburg right after that.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

tribe_pride wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Hey t_p, what was that W&M game last night all about? The Tribe was down 20 at halftime, but won by 4. :shock:
Insane comeback. Thought we were going to lose at half. Thornton got more involved in the 2nd half, we cut down on turnovers and UNCW did not shoot 70% or so in the 2nd half like the first half. Shaver does a good job of making adjustments but we have not started out games strong.

We were able to cut down the lead slowly but steadily throughout the 2nd half and our 3 pointers help. Down 14 in the under16 and down 10 by the under12 puts you right back into the game so that when it reached the under 8 we were only down 2 and it was a new game. Unfortunately, students are not back yet so it was not as much of a home game crowd as will be later in the year but great comeback for a win.

Need to take care of Towson then Delaware in the next 2 games away because the other co-first place teams Northeastern and Hofstra are coming to the Williamsburg right after that.
I was at a game about 10 years ago when JMU jumped out to a 17-0 lead. W&M closed it to 10 at halftime and eventually won. Wild games at the Hall. :thumb:
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Post by DSUrocks07 »

tampajag wrote:
DSUrocks07 wrote: The U is now a basketball school.

Bittersweet actually.
Had a chance today against ND, blew it at the end.

Keep this up and we'll definitely make some noise in March.

MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB
bonarae
Level2
Level2

Post by bonarae »

Harvard closes out this year's OOC with a win at Bryant.