THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

College Hoops discussion
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Post by 93henfan »

I don't have all the baggage everyone else seems to. I'm just glad to see a Philly area team win something. Especially over a team run by Roy Williams, who seems like a tremendous asshole. Jay Wright seems like a polar opposite. Yay for the good guy. Congrats Nova.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Re: RE: Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Post by DSUrocks07 »

93henfan wrote:I don't have all the baggage everyone else seems to. I'm just glad to see a Philly area team win something. Especially over a team run by Roy Williams, who seems like a tremendous asshole. Jay Wright seems like a polar opposite. Yay for the good guy. Congrats Nova.
:+1:

Great for Nova, decent run by Professor X

But I'm not seeing how this run helps make Depaul and St. Johns "better" than the bottom teams in other major conferences.
MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Seahawks08 wrote:I waited for the tournament to end before laying the smackdown on Gannon's candy ass.

How's that SOS now? Must be too weak for Nova to beat any of the big boys in the NCAA tournament.

Jalen Brunson will be the key for Nova going far and not Archi...strike two.

And the best one of all! Nova doesn't play defense good enough against the good teams and are susceptible to penetration. WOW you nailed that one! Strike three.

And then we have clucker running his mouth thinking he knows something about college bball. Big East king of the mid majors? How about you go back to Delaware football where you belong and let the big boys play here. :thefan:
Hey, look, it's the "Just because Kentucky won everything doesn't make the SEC a good conference" guy. You finally got that rock off of you that you've been hiding under I see. Amazing that you finally showed up. Didn't see you at all when the rest of the Big East shat the bed in the tournament. Wonder why?

Hey, I have to give myself some credit - I correctly identified Arci as the reason why nova underperformed for the last three years. He didn't step it up in big games and nova went home early, despite you and the other nova pom pom guy making excuses for him every year. This year, with Brunson nipping at his heels and being able to give him time on the bench to watch the game, Arci finally stepped up in big moments and look at the results. And my wife and I both said last night as soon as he gave up that ball on the final play nova had a chance. You guys making excuses for him for three years and covering up him coming up small in big moments doesn't get fixed because he finally did this year.

I'm glad that I was the first thing on your mind - I like it when people are listening. Vindication is mine yet again. Enjoy the deep run that I said nova could do this year - seems you forgot to mention that too in your Lazarus moment of posting.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:
Seahawks08 wrote:I waited for the tournament to end before laying the smackdown on Gannon's candy ass.

How's that SOS now? Must be too weak for Nova to beat any of the big boys in the NCAA tournament.

Jalen Brunson will be the key for Nova going far and not Archi...strike two.

And the best one of all! Nova doesn't play defense good enough against the good teams and are susceptible to penetration. WOW you nailed that one! Strike three.

And then we have clucker running his mouth thinking he knows something about college bball. Big East king of the mid majors? How about you go back to Delaware football where you belong and let the big boys play here. :thefan:

Thank you. Finally some realistic posting.

Really just a fantastic year for villanova and the big east . I have been having some fun with the cluckers and poor tribe pride who thinks they believe what they post.

Nova was clearly the best team in the country. Xavier could have easily been in the elite eight . Run away triumph for the Big east.
Three years. Two Sweet 16 teams. Never two or more teams in the Sweet 16 in the same year.

The new Big East is what we thought it was - a conference with a really good nova program and nothing else. That's what it was when it started in 2013 and that's what it is today. What other talking points did you get from Ackerman?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Cool symmetry - I was 12 years old in 1985 when I watched nova win the first time (I still have the cover of the Delco Daily Times with the headline "Nova Wins" on it). My oldest son is 12 right now and all three boys stayed up last night to watch (well, the 7 year old fell asleep in the second half). Don't buy the Daily Times anymore, but did get the Daily News with the "Thrillanova" headline on the back. Good stuff.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:I don't have all the baggage everyone else seems to. I'm just glad to see a Philly area team win something. Especially over a team run by Roy Williams, who seems like a tremendous asshole. Jay Wright seems like a polar opposite. Yay for the good guy. Congrats Nova.
Good for Nova, and best wishes to them. But Williams is not an asshole. His players are very loyal to him, and vice versa. Coach K, now THERE'S an asshole.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

What did the hand signs he was flashing after the winning shot mean? Was that a black fraternity sign, illiminati, or what? I need a ruling from Spandos.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

tribe_pride wrote:
If you look at over the past 3 years (since Big East was formed then), see how many teams have gotten to the Sweet 16 in each year 2014, 2015, 2016:

ACC - 1, 5, 6
Big 12 - 2, 2, 3
Big 10 - 3, 2, 3
Pac 12 - 3, 3, 1
Big East - 0, 1, 1
SEC - 3, 1, 1

:nod:

FACTS. Some people just don't want to see them. :lol:

Those numbers tell the story...the Big East is mostly just cannon fodder come tournament time.

nova was good, but the Big East is the Big Least.
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:What did the hand signs he was flashing after the winning shot mean? Was that a black fraternity sign, illiminati, or what? I need a ruling from Spandos.
I thought he just did a three point signal - even the white kids on the Monmouth bench showed that during the year.
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

Interesting game.

Several poor calls, many odd calls, and WTF were the Carolina coaching staff and players thinking? That was some lazy defensive effort by the coach and the players. And some pretty silly lack of adjustments by UNC on the offensive end.

But the worst offense was not guarding the one player you didn't want to shoot at the end. :rofl:

Those teams play again and UNC wins most times.

But, I'll take the victory! :nod: :clap:
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
vutomcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Post by vutomcat »

Here's a list of the OLD Big East teams and how they might be missed - or not. Thought it was interesting enough to copy for this thread.

Rutgers

The Big East really misses the worst Power Conference team in history. Haven't made the tournament in almost 30 years!

Boston College

Hard to believe it was a tough choice for who to put last. Possibly second worst Power Conference team in history. Winless in ACC play. Nice!

South Florida

Second to last in a bad bottom half of the AAC. No thanks.

Virginia Tech

19-14, so the epitome of average. Pretty much irrelevant.

Temple

Yes, the new Big East is weak because they no longer have a 10 seed in the tournament from their conference.

Pitt

See above. Plus an environment so toxic their coach leaves for a perennial bottom feeder in the Big XII.

Cinncinati

They play great defense and are a perennial tournament team. Just barely lost to St. Joe's on a weird dunk that wasn't a dunk. It would be nice to have them back in the Big East.

UConn

Beat Colorado and then gave Kansas a decent run. A school with such rich basketball history doesn't belong in the AAC.

West Virginia

Had a great regular season, but flamed out in the tourney. A loss to Stephen F. Austin in the first round will put a damper on a season where they knocked off both Kansas and Oklahoma. But who wants Bob Huggins' sweatsuits in the Big East?

Miami

Played great basketball, but nobody in Coral Gables noticed because they were too worried about their mediocre football team. Lost to some small Catholic school you've never heard of in the Sweet Sixteen.

Syracuse

Easiest road to the Elite Eight ever. Nice upset of Dayton, then everything fell their way. They should never have been in the tournament, but you have to give them credit for beating who was in front of them.

Louisville

A talented team with a veteran coach that would have been a popular Final Four pick had they not been justifiably banned from postseason play. No sympathy for them, but they were darned good this year.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

vutomcat wrote:Thought it was interesting enough to copy for this thread.
You thought wrong.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Congrats to Villanova!
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Jay Wright to the Suns.
:thumb:
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

dbackjon wrote:Jay Wright to the Suns.
Clarification - Suns want Wright. Nothing has happened yet. More times than not, NCAA to Pro as a coach does not go well so we'll have to see Wright's interest. Not surprised he has the opportunity though.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

vutomcat wrote:Here's a list of the OLD Big East teams and how they might be missed - or not. Thought it was interesting enough to copy for this thread.

Rutgers

The Big East really misses the worst Power Conference team in history. Haven't made the tournament in almost 30 years!

Boston College

Hard to believe it was a tough choice for who to put last. Possibly second worst Power Conference team in history. Winless in ACC play. Nice!

South Florida

Virginia Tech

Temple

Yes, the new Big East is weak because they no longer have a 10 seed in the tournament from their conference.

Pitt

See above. Plus an environment so toxic their coach leaves for a perennial bottom feeder in the Big XII.

Cinncinati

They play great defense and are a perennial tournament team. Just barely lost to St. Joe's on a weird dunk that wasn't a dunk. It would be nice to have them back in the Big East.

UConn

Beat Colorado and then gave Kansas a decent run. A school with such rich basketball history doesn't belong in the AAC.

West Virginia

Had a great regular season, but flamed out in the tourney. A loss to Stephen F. Austin in the first round will put a damper on a season where they knocked off both Kansas and Oklahoma. But who wants Bob Huggins' sweatsuits in the Big East?

Miami

Played great basketball, but nobody in Coral Gables noticed because they were too worried about their mediocre football team. Lost to some small Catholic school you've never heard of in the Sweet Sixteen.

Syracuse

Easiest road to the Elite Eight ever. Nice upset of Dayton, then everything fell their way. They should never have been in the tournament, but you have to give them credit for beating who was in front of them.

Louisville

A talented team with a veteran coach that would have been a popular Final Four pick had they not been justifiably banned from postseason play. No sympathy for them, but they were darned good this year.
You forgot Notre Dame...and since when did Temple ever play Big East basketball?? They played Big East Football but there is a small Catholic school on the Main Line that would never allow the basketball part to happen.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

bluehenbillk wrote:
vutomcat wrote:Here's a list of the OLD Big East teams and how they might be missed - or not. Thought it was interesting enough to copy for this thread.

Rutgers

Boston College

South Florida

Virginia Tech

Temple

Pitt

Cinncinati

UConn

West Virginia

Miami

Syracuse

Louisville

You forgot Notre Dame...and since when did Temple ever play Big East basketball?? They played Big East Football but there is a small Catholic school on the Main Line that would never allow the basketball part to happen.

I did forget Notre Dame. They are one of the old Big East teams that has done better since going to the ACC. And, you are correct, Temple never played in the BE and Nova did argue against adding them. Just made sense not to share the Philly market.

Delaware is interviewing Baker Dunleavy from what I hear. It's always hard to predict how an assistant will be as a head coach but he appears to have all the attributes of a successful coach.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

ELITE PROGRAM

A lot of people are claiming that next year's Wildcats team may be even better than the team that just won the National Championship. It's way to early to say that - especially after Josh Hart and Kris Jenkins announced they have declared for the NBA Draft. But we expect both to be back, meaning the 'Cats will be loaded once again. And don't look now but they're actually getting their due in the early Top 25s for next season!

•ESPN has Villanova #2
•The Big Lead has Villanova #2
•SB Nation has Villanova #3
•CBS Sports has Villanova #3
•USA TODAY has Villanova #3
•NBC Sports has Villanova #3

Vegas has them at 8-1
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

vutomcat wrote:
Delaware is interviewing Baker Dunleavy from what I hear. It's always hard to predict how an assistant will be as a head coach but he appears to have all the attributes of a successful coach.
I've heard the same thing, but until Delaware hires an AD they're not hiring a hoops coach. Ingelsby from Notre Dame seems to be the guy most fans want. I read Dunleavy was offered & turned down the job at Stony Brook.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

vutomcat wrote:ELITE PROGRAM

A lot of people are claiming that next year's Wildcats team may be even better than the team that just won the National Championship. It's way to early to say that - especially after Josh Hart and Kris Jenkins announced they have declared for the NBA Draft. But we expect both to be back, meaning the 'Cats will be loaded once again. And don't look now but they're actually getting their due in the early Top 25s for next season!

•ESPN has Villanova #2
•The Big Lead has Villanova #2
•SB Nation has Villanova #3
•CBS Sports has Villanova #3
•USA TODAY has Villanova #3
•NBC Sports has Villanova #3

Vegas has them at 8-1
Assuming Hart and Jenkins come back they should be one of the favorites because otherwise it is just replacing Arc and Ochefu which you never like to do but only 2 guys off a championship team is pretty good.

If for some reason both of those guys go (as you said, not expected to leave though), expectations will obviously drop losing the top 4 scorers who are also top 4 in minutes played.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Grayson Allen staying for his junior year, plus with the one and dones Duke is getting in next year, is who people are slotting in at #1 in place of nova. Ochefu is tough to replace, defensively and offensively. How well nova does next year really depends on how they adjust to not having him there. Hart back is the key, he makes everything go offensively and he's the guy who can penetrate at any time. I haven't seen either on any mock drafts in the first round so unless something changes they would be back.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:Grayson Allen staying for his junior year, plus with the one and dones Duke is getting in next year, is who people are slotting in at #1 in place of nova. Ochefu is tough to replace, defensively and offensively. How well nova does next year really depends on how they adjust to not having him there. Hart back is the key, he makes everything go offensively and he's the guy who can penetrate at any time. I haven't seen either on any mock drafts in the first round so unless something changes they would be back.
Laettner's love-child? Nasty little bastage.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Grayson Allen staying for his junior year, plus with the one and dones Duke is getting in next year, is who people are slotting in at #1 in place of nova. Ochefu is tough to replace, defensively and offensively. How well nova does next year really depends on how they adjust to not having him there. Hart back is the key, he makes everything go offensively and he's the guy who can penetrate at any time. I haven't seen either on any mock drafts in the first round so unless something changes they would be back.
Laettner's love-child? Nasty little bastage.
Eh, he fits the type of player people used to hate at Duke. I like him, though, guy plays tough.