Football Championship Subdivision discussions
NDSUFREAK
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: North Dakota State
A.K.A.: Chupacabra

Walter Payton Award Watch

Post by NDSUFREAK »

A thread to discuss who you would like to see winning the award or who you think will take it at the end of the year. My favorite would be Santos.
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Walter Payton Award Watch

Post by MrTitleist »

Can't have this discussion without mentioning Lex Hilliard. If he comes back from his achilles, he could be a monster this season. Can't forget about Armanti from Appy State either.
ImageImageImageImageImage
UNHWildCats
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: New Hampshire
A.K.A.: UNHWildCats

Post by UNHWildCats »

Santos has to be the heavy favorite going into the season. Closest second place ever as a Sophomore, Won as a Junior....
skinny_uncle
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: SIU

Post by skinny_uncle »

Probably either Santos or some guy we have never heard of.
"You know you are getting old when time flies whether you are having fun or not."

ChetSteadman
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mustangs
A.K.A.: Rocket

Post by ChetSteadman »

Kevin Richardson has to be in there, somewhere. Edwards will be mentioned, but I don't think this will be his year. Of course, I wouldn't get mad if he won :D
SloStang
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Cal Poly

Post by SloStang »

James Noble should be included on the watch list. Ramses Barden has the talent to make the list, but Cal Poly does not throw the ball enough for him to get serious consideration.
WiLdcarD

Post by WiLdcarD »

Like Mr. T said, Lex Hilliard could turn in a monster season if he returns to true form
blackfordpu
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Sam Houston State

Post by blackfordpu »

You guys like to throw out names like Santos and Edwards but everyone seems to be forgetting the new comer Rhett Bomar. If he has improved from his freshman year to now watch out. He will make some noise, I guarantee.
Grizball
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: The Mecca

Post by Grizball »

it pains me to admit this... NDSU's QB, Walker, will likely make the list and have a good shot at the award
NDSUFREAK
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: Chupacabra

Post by NDSUFREAK »

Grizball wrote:it pains me to admit this... NDSU's QB, Walker, will likely make the list and have a good shot at the award
It pains you! :evil: :P Ha, I would think he should make the list but because of the balance of offense that NDSU has Steve won't get the stats to make the list. Another BISON player denied the publicity because his teammates are good right along side him so that makes for a better team! :D :D
tcbison

Post by tcbison »

NDSUFREAK wrote:
Grizball wrote:it pains me to admit this... NDSU's QB, Walker, will likely make the list and have a good shot at the award
It pains you! :evil: :P Ha, I would think he should make the list but because of the balance of offense that NDSU has Steve won't get the stats to make the list. Another BISON player denied the publicity because his teammates are good right along side him so that makes for a better team! :D :D
You got that right! Walker would put up bigger numbers if he had to. Like against Ball State when he threw for 451 yards.
Bring on the competition!
Saint3333
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Saint3333 »

It's hard for KRich to win the Payton when he only plays 3 quarters in 7 out of the 11 regular season games. Santos wins the Payton.
Yosef84
I am a fan of: Appalachian State

Post by Yosef84 »

App has two candidates and that won't help either of them.

Kevin Richardson deserves serious consideration. His regular season stats last year were impressive despite that fact that he rarely played a full game (or more than half). He shared carries with his freshman backup (Moore) and with Armanti Edwards. Add to that the QB transition in the third game, and App's offense wasn't really hitting full stride until late in the season (despite being successful). Kevin is App's best chance at winning a Payton (this year) because whether people admit it or not, their voting for these awards is "cumulative." The voters will not forget his performance in the play-offs last year. If he has another great year, he's a factor that can't be discounted.

Armanti Edwards is a rising star, but he's non-traditional and that scares a lot of people. He will get a lot of attention, but I don't think this will be his year to win it.

Santos is probably the "favorite" because he's had the attention of the media since his was a freshman. He has a great throwing arm. He's an outstanding QB in a more traditional sense than Armanti.

Eric Sanders - I think the kid from UNI will make some noise this year. If UNI has a great year in a very stron Gateway conference, then this kid deserves some consideration.
msogrizfan

Post by msogrizfan »

It should be Santos to lose, but if struggles and Hillard is healthy - and gets enough plays - he could pick it up. Edwards might be the best player, but I doubt a QB that runs a lot can win it - scrambling yes, as a running back no.

Hillard probably has the best change of the 3, due to position and size, to be drafted into the NFL, but that doesn't really mean much for the Payton Award.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Yosef84 wrote:App has two candidates and that won't help either of them.

Kevin Richardson deserves serious consideration. His regular season stats last year were impressive despite that fact that he rarely played a full game (or more than half). He shared carries with his freshman backup (Moore) and with Armanti Edwards. Add to that the QB transition in the third game, and App's offense wasn't really hitting full stride until late in the season (despite being successful). Kevin is App's best chance at winning a Payton (this year) because whether people admit it or not, their voting for these awards is "cumulative." The voters will not forget his performance in the play-offs last year. If he has another great year, he's a factor that can't be discounted.

Armanti Edwards is a rising star, but he's non-traditional and that scares a lot of people. He will get a lot of attention, but I don't think this will be his year to win it.

Santos is probably the "favorite" because he's had the attention of the media since his was a freshman. He has a great throwing arm. He's an outstanding QB in a more traditional sense than Armanti.

Eric Sanders - I think the kid from UNI will make some noise this year. If UNI has a great year in a very stron Gateway conference, then this kid deserves some consideration.
There's precedence both ways at the Heisman level. Back in the '50s, Paul Hornung won the Heisman playing for a 2-9 Notre Dame team after two Oklahoma candidates got the vote split. A couple of years ago, there was sentiment that this might recur when U$C had two candidates, but that was foiled when Reggie Bush beat out Matt Leinart and other players to win. Some of the deal was a feeling that Leinart "already had his," so it was Bush's time.

So history's probably not an issue here with the candidacy of two Appy guys. Also, I don't believe that EITHER Appy guy has won the Payton before, so that semantic won't be in play.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
gemofthehills
I am a fan of: Jacksonville State

Post by gemofthehills »

Superhornet that is a gooding Cock on your Avatar.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I know Ashley played for J-State. I'm a HUGE fan of girls football, so I made Ashley my Avatar since she's the first to score in a D-I game.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
DetroitFlyer
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: University of Dayton

Post by DetroitFlyer »

No brainer, Josh Johnson of USD.
Grizaholic17
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Griz

Post by Grizaholic17 »

Lex Hilliard for sure is going to be on the list. He has been building up his agility and speed and strength for a year to come back and get the Grizzly rushing record from Humphrey, and to win the Nat'l Championship. But as mentioned before...Armanti from App. State is darn good!
Playoff appearances: '88, '89, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '11
NC Appearances: '95, '96, '00, '01, '04, '08, '09
NC's: '95, '01
Saint3333
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Saint3333 »

Santos. Johnson may be the better player in the NFL, but his competition is lacking and doesn't get a chance to prove his skills.