Weber State preview

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
enicmt
I am a fan of: Montana

Weber State preview

Post by enicmt »

Offense

The constant is the running game, with Trevyn Smith back after a sensational freshman campaign, and senior Adrian Conway (5-11, 215) backing up after injuries shelved him a year ago. There is some beef up front in all-Big Sky tackle David Hale (6-6, 305), guards Travis Harris and Dimitri Tsoumpas (both 6-4 and 295) and Justin Fritz (6-3, 305) at center. Alabama transfer Jimmy Barnes seems destined to take over at QB. He'll be throwing to some untested, but speedy, receivers. Tim Toone (5-10, 180) averaged 39.3 yards on seven catches a year ago. Bryant Eteuati (5-9, 180) is another burner: He had a 100-yard kickoff return against the Griz. Fullback Marcus Mailei is the top returning receiver, with 20 catches for 241 yards. Akumi Aki, ineligible a year ago, is another target.

Defense

It was solid a year ago, but has some shoes to fill with defensive end Rio Stotler and cornerback John Collins ineligible, linebacker Max Moala on a mission and the graduation of Tyler DeBry and Bo Smith. The only returning starters are outside backer Brad Stewart (6-2, 240) and safety Ty Sparrow (6-4, 220). Yet coach Ron McBride says his defensive line - anchored by tackles Derek Johnson (6-2, 295) and Bryce Scanlon (6-2, 290) and end Pate Moleni (6-3, 275) - is his best in three seasons in Ogden. Moleni had 6.5 sacks last season. Helping at cornerback will be JC transfers Duane Paul and Jonathan Carroway. Sophomore Beau Hadley (6-0, 185) appears ready to step in at safety.

Notable

The Wildcats' opener at Boise State on Aug. 30 will be their first meeting with the former Big Sky member since 1998. Boise State, which moved up to BCS ball in 1996, won that one 24-13.

Quotebook

“Trevyn Smith is a very good player and he's matured a lot, too. He's also become a leader. I'm not sure why other schools passed on him. If I was still at Utah, I would have taken him.”

-Weber State coach Ron McBride, to the Provo (Utah) Daily Herald

Stud to watch

RB Trevyn Smith (5-9, 210) led the Big Sky Conference with 1,129 rushing yards as a true freshman, averaging 5.5 yards a carry. He wasn't the starter until the sixth game.

Pay attention to

QB Jimmy Barnes (6-5, 240). The strong-armed sophomore transferred in from Alabama in June, and appears to be the man to take over for the uneven Ian Pizarro, who graduated.

Wildcat data

Forecast: Sixth by the coaches, sixth by the media

2006: 4-7, 3-5 in the Big Sky Conference

Starters returning: 9

Coach: Ron McBride, 3rd season (10-12)

Quote: “Our offense just didn't really mesh the way they did the year before. I really don't know why that was. We had high expectations for last year and didn't really follow through.”

-LB Brad Stewart

*missoulian*