Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Final Big Sky Power Rankings

Post by JALMOND »

Final Big Sky conference power rankings. My opinion only.

1. Sacramento State Hornets
2. Montana State Bobcats
3. Weber State Wildcats
4. Idaho Vandals
5. UC Davis Aggies
6. Montana Grizzlies
7. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks
8. Portland State Vikings
9. Eastern Washington Eagles
10. Northern Colorado Bears
11. Cal Poly Mustangs
12. Idaho State Bengals

Good luck to those who made the playoffs. To the rest, see you next year.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Final Big Sky Power Rankings

Post by SuperHornet »

Spot on, JAL, though the Manure Pile must be ticked off that they got screwed out of a playoff spot. It was pretty much going to be either them or the Griz, and the Griz had a better overall record, though Davis had more going on the last half of the season. A case of too little, too late for Davis, IMO.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:11 pm Spot on, JAL, though the Manure Pile must be ticked off that they got screwed out of a playoff spot. It was pretty much going to be either them or the Griz, and the Griz had a better overall record, though Davis had more going on the last half of the season. A case of too little, too late for Davis, IMO.
My opinion, Davis was played better football at the end of the season than the Griz (which is why I have the Aggies ahead of the Griz), but I'm thinking only having 6 wins was what did them in. As for the Griz, their best win of the season probably was Portland State and that was at home and the first game of the season. If one was to plead for the Griz by saying close losses count for something, then why didn't it work for Davis?
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

JALMOND wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:41 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:11 pm Spot on, JAL, though the Manure Pile must be ticked off that they got screwed out of a playoff spot. It was pretty much going to be either them or the Griz, and the Griz had a better overall record, though Davis had more going on the last half of the season. A case of too little, too late for Davis, IMO.
My opinion, Davis was played better football at the end of the season than the Griz (which is why I have the Aggies ahead of the Griz), but I'm thinking only having 6 wins was what did them in. As for the Griz, their best win of the season probably was Portland State and that was at home and the first game of the season. If one was to plead for the Griz by saying close losses count for something, then why didn't it work for Davis?
The only things I can think of would be number of wins and name recognition....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:53 pm

The only things I can think of would be number of wins and name recognition....
I am a Viking homer, but even I cannot see how a home win over PSU in the first conference game of the season somehow looks better than a road win over Idaho in the second to last game of the season. I also can't see how they could be thought of as "equal".
uofmman1122
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Japanese girls
A.K.A.: Randy Butternubs

Post by uofmman1122 »

It unfortunately just comes down to perception.

We were #2 when we beat PSU, and looked the part. Then Idaho came to town and caught us, but we only dropped a little bit in people's minds. I think most people saw it as a fluke (fair or not). Then we go on the road the next two weeks, lose our starter, take #3 Sac to overtime, and then #5 Weber to the last possession, and people didn't knock us that far down, despite losing 3 in a row. Another team probably drops a lot further, but people still thought we were good. Most people aren't willing to drop the #13 team to outside the poll because they got hammered by #3, regardless of who the team is and what their record says.

If we had started the season lower in most people's minds, there's no doubt in my mind we'd be sitting at home right now. This is why I hammered on AGS the last couples weeks about the subjective nature of the eye test, even when people didn't want to hear it.

Sure, it's unfair, but it's not like we're the only team that it helped. There's no way NDSU's resume is #3 worthy, and Sac should really be #1.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

uofmman1122 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:13 pm It unfortunately just comes down to perception.

We were #2 when we beat PSU, and looked the part. Then Idaho came to town and caught us, but we only dropped a little bit in people's minds. I think most people saw it as a fluke (fair or not). Then we go on the road the next two weeks, lose our starter, take #3 Sac to overtime, and then #5 Weber to the last possession, and people didn't knock us that far down, despite losing 3 in a row. Another team probably drops a lot further, but people still thought we were good. Most people aren't willing to drop the #13 team to outside the poll because they got hammered by #3, regardless of who the team is and what their record says.

If we had started the season lower in most people's minds, there's no doubt in my mind we'd be sitting at home right now. This is why I hammered on AGS the last couples weeks about the subjective nature of the eye test, even when people didn't want to hear it.

Sure, it's unfair, but it's not like we're the only team that it helped. There's no way NDSU's resume is #3 worthy, and Sac should really be #1.
There are Kitty fans on FB claiming that ALL of your losses are bad because they happened with full personnel. That's a lie, as you noted above....

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

They didn't have 7 wins, they were never in the discussion. Good job as Hawkins proclaimed them to be the best team in program history. :rofl:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

C'mon, everyone knew montucky was going to buy their way into the playoffs. 7 cupcake wins is all they'll ever need to get in and everyone knows it.