ImageImageImageImageImage
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Jacksonville canning football

Post by 89Hen »

Hate to see anyone drop football. Must be because I-AA is just too good these days.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

They got any decent players to pick up? Assuming they'll be allowed to transfer without sitting....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
vutomcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Post by vutomcat »

They had an independent expert come in and compare their program to the rest of FCS. The expert ranked all the programs.

They found out they were ranked below Delaware so they knew it was hopeless.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

AZGrizFan wrote:They got any decent players to pick up? Assuming they'll be allowed to transfer without sitting....
ESPN ticker said that all players will receive a scholarship to finish their degrees if they stay. Not sure if that is right since very few are getting any money now. If true, that's not a bad gig if you can't land a full scholarship at another school. But the football career would be over.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

Because they lost to the Bucs?!?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:They got any decent players to pick up? Assuming they'll be allowed to transfer without sitting....
ESPN ticker said that all players will receive a scholarship to finish their degrees if they stay. Not sure if that is right since very few are getting any money now. If true, that's not a bad gig if you can't land a full scholarship at another school. But the football career would be over.
Not sure how a "non scholarship" FCS school suddenly gives scholarships to 100 kids. That doesn't seem right or even logical.

edit: and I realize some/many are probably already on some form of academic scholly (to make up for lack of athletic schollys) so it's probably not all 100, but still...
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: ESPN ticker said that all players will receive a scholarship to finish their degrees if they stay. Not sure if that is right since very few are getting any money now. If true, that's not a bad gig if you can't land a full scholarship at another school. But the football career would be over.
Not sure how a "non scholarship" FCS school suddenly gives scholarships to 100 kids. That doesn't seem right or even logical.

edit: and I realize some/many are probably already on some form of academic scholly (to make up for lack of athletic schollys) so it's probably not all 100, but still...

None are on athletic scholarships. They are making general scholarship available to all football players as a one-time "severance" to make up for the cutting.
:thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

vutomcat wrote:They had an independent expert come in and compare their program to the rest of FCS. The expert ranked all the programs.

That can't be. I think they came to Newark and beat the Hens a couple years ago.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

None are on athletic scholarships. They are making general scholarship available to all football players as a one-time "severance" to make up for the cutting.
Reading is fundamental. :coffee: :coffee:
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

room for Agustana and/or St Thomas.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Jacksonville has 2200 undergrads with a stadium that only has bleachers on one side. That said, aside from the last 2 years they have had decent records. They must have just been losing tons of money on FB...although it being non-schollie not sure how they don't do anything but make money on it. :?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
vutomcat wrote:They had an independent expert come in and compare their program to the rest of FCS. The expert ranked all the programs.

That can't be. I think they came to Newark and beat the Hens a couple years ago.
He wouldn't know that, he's a nova season ticket holder, so by definition he doesn't go to any football games. But he gets better seats for the b-ball games as a result. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

They were just slightly ahead of Southeastern Louisiana.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-