Football Championship Subdivision discussions
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Playoff Field

Post by 89Hen »

This is shaping up to be a shit show. Unless you limit the MVFC to two teams (no way can you do that), we very well may have a 5 loss team in the field.

I think this is who is most likely already in...

Big Sky (4)
Weber State (8-2)
Eastern Washington (8-2)
UC Davis (8-2)
Montana (6-4) v MSU (6-4) winner in, loser out

Big South (1)
Kennesaw State (9-1)

CAA (4)
Maine (7-3) v Elon (6-3) winner lock, loser bubble
Delaware (7-3)
JMU (7-3) v Towson (7-3) winner lock, loser bubble
Stony Brook (7-3)

MEAC (1)
Assuming FAMU beats Bethune this week, NCAT (8-2) will get a bid as #2 in conference

MVFC (2)
NDSU (10-0)
SDSU (7-2)

NEC (1)
Too lazy to see who will win this one

OVC (2)
Jacksonville State (8-2)
SEMO (7-3)

Patriot (1)
Colgate (9-0)

Pioneer (1)
San Diego

Southern (2)
ETSU (8-2)
Wofford (7-3)

Southland (2)
Nicholls (7-3)
McNeese (6-4) v Lamar (6-4) winner in

So that leaves three spots. Like I said, no way the MVFC only gets two, so that means at least one of: UNI (5-5), WIU (5-5) or Indiana St (6-4) gets in. IF Idaho St (6-4) beats Weber, they're in. Furman with a win over Mercer most likely makes it. Not sure I'm really seeing any other bubble teams, did I miss anyone?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Playoff Field

Post by Gil Dobie »

UND would be 7-4 with a win over NAU, and won the head-to-head against Montana.

Indiana St needs to win to get to 6 DI wins.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:This is shaping up to be a shit show. Unless you limit the MVFC to two teams (no way can you do that), we very well may have a 5 loss team in the field.

I think this is who is most likely already in...

Big Sky (4)
Weber State (8-2)
Eastern Washington (8-2)
UC Davis (8-2)

Big South (1)
Kennesaw State (9-1)

CAA (4)
Maine (7-3) v Elon (6-3) winner lock, loser bubble
Delaware (7-3)
JMU (7-3) v Towson (7-3) winner lock, loser bubble
Stony Brook (7-3)

MEAC (1)
Assuming FAMU beats Bethune this week, NCAT (8-2) will get a bid as #2 in conference

MVFC (2)
NDSU (10-0)
SDSU (7-2)

NEC (1)
Too lazy to see who will win this one

OVC (2)
Jacksonville State (8-2)
SEMO (7-3)

Patriot (1)
Colgate (9-0)

Pioneer (1)
San Diego

Southern (2)
ETSU (8-2)
Wofford (7-3)

Southland (2)
Nicholls (7-3)
McNeese (6-4) v Lamar (6-4) winner in

So that leaves three spots. Like I said, no way the MVFC only gets two, so that means at least one of: UNI (5-5), WIU (5-5) or Indiana St (6-4) gets in. IF Idaho St (6-4) beats Weber, they're in. Furman with a win over Mercer most likely makes it. Not sure I'm really seeing any other bubble teams, did I miss anyone?
I don't trust the committee, so....

ICW - AQ if Nicholls loses. Still slightly on the bubble with no bad losses, high SoS of 34 (for a SLC and compared to other bubble teams in SLC, OVC, Monmouth) and wins over McNeese, SHSU, UCA, and ACU. Not that the latter are quality wins but UCA, McNeese, and SHSU might be shiny objects for the committee. They also have a scheduled game against Iowa State, the opening week of the playoffs which they can back out of.

Monmouth - I know, but they got in last year... :roll:

ACU - because McNeese and Lamar and they beat Nicholls

UND - at 7-4 gets them ahead of Montana with h2h blowout. Plus a win over SHSU :ohno:

At-large locks:

CAA- 5
BSC - 2
MVFC - 1

Win and in: ETSU, ISUo, SEMO, ISUb, Montana State
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:Monmouth - I know, but they got in last year... :roll:
I agree it doesn't hurt to put them on the bubble watch, but I'm fairly certain they don't have a win over a winning team. :suspicious:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:UND would be 7-4 with a win over NAU, and won the head-to-head against Montana.
They can be on the bubble too then.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Kennesaw gets a double-digit seed...or they WOULD if they seeded the entire field like the hoops tournament....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

89Hen wrote: Big Sky (4)
Weber State (8-2)
Eastern Washington (8-2)
UC Davis (8-2)
Montana needs a bit of help even if they do win. They have one barely good win (UNI) and 4 questionable/bad losses.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

89Hen wrote: Southland (2)
Nicholls (7-3)
McNeese (6-4) v Lamar (6-4) winner
Unless Incarnate Word loses to North Alabama they will be in before McNeese or Lamar. And if Nicholls State loses Incarnate Word is the Southland automatic bid.

Incarnate Word can finish no worse than second in the Southland with 2 conference losses. The only way McNeese gets in is if the committee somehow decides to include three from the Southland and lets McNeese in by virtue of a quality win over Nicholls State. And I guess if Lamar wins they could let them in by virtue of a quality win over Incarnate Word.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
Weber State (8-2)
Eastern Washington (8-2)
UC Davis (8-2)
Montana needs a bit of help even if they do win. They have one barely good win (UNI) and 4 questionable/bad losses.
Nope. Winner is in because there aren't enough 8-3 teams to keep them out.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

89Hen wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
Nope. Winner is in because there aren't enough 8-3 teams to keep them out.
But there are enough potential 7-4 teams to keep them out, especially since the Griz didn't play an FBS.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
89Hen wrote: Nope. Winner is in because there aren't enough 8-3 teams to keep them out.
But there are enough potential 7-4 teams to keep them out, especially since the Griz didn't play an FBS.
I don't think so. NCAA likes to have Montana in the field and rightfully so. I'm sure they're itching to get Delaware and Furman in there too.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
Weber State (8-2)
Eastern Washington (8-2)
UC Davis (8-2)
so every loss is now considered a bad loss? :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
I don't think so. NCAA likes to have Montana in the field and rightfully so. I'm sure they're itching to get Delaware and Furman in there too.
Furman? :? :?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by SACCAT »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
so every loss is now considered a bad loss? :lol: :lol:
Yes/No
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: I don't think so. NCAA likes to have Montana in the field and rightfully so. I'm sure they're itching to get Delaware and Furman in there too.
Yes. Why wouldn't they want Furman in the field? They used to be over 10k average attendance when they were regularly a playoff team in the 2000's. I still believe the committee does take into account who they want for marketing purposes.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

89Hen wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Yes. Why wouldn't they want Furman in the field? They used to be over 10k average attendance when they were regularly a playoff team in the 2000's. I still believe the committee does take into account who they want for marketing purposes.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

grizzaholic wrote:
89Hen wrote: Yes. Why wouldn't they want Furman in the field? They used to be over 10k average attendance when they were regularly a playoff team in the 2000's. I still believe the committee does take into account who they want for marketing purposes.
Yes, what part of that didn't you catch the first time? I'm sure the NCAA would like to try to rekindle something there.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
6 win teams like Furman and ICW would fall behind 6 win UNI and WIU. Furman is closer thanks to a solid SOS. I think ICW is left out for an at-large. Montana would be behind UND and Nicholls based on H2H and Nicholls win against KU. Maybe ISUb too. SEMO shouldn’t but could slide in ahead at 8-3. Then there’s 89’s favorite...a 9-3 NCAT. That leaves a 7-4 Montana firmly on the bubble.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: Yes. Why wouldn't they want Furman in the field? They used to be over 10k average attendance when they were regularly a playoff team in the 2000's. I still believe the committee does take into account who they want for marketing purposes.
6 win teams like Furman and ICW would fall behind 6 win UNI and WIU. Furman is closer thanks to a solid SOS. I think ICW is left out for an at-large. Montana would be behind UND and Nicholls based on H2H and Nicholls win against KU. Maybe ISUb too. SEMO shouldn’t but could slide in ahead at 8-3. Then there’s 89’s favorite...a 9-3 NCAT. That leaves a 7-4 Montana firmly on the bubble.
Don't know if it was a typo, but NCAT coulf finish 9-2 and 2nd in the MEAC if FAMU wins.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:
Don't know if it was a typo, but NCAT coulf finish 9-2 and 2nd in the MEAC if FAMU wins.
Correct, and I have NCAT in my field projection above.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:
Typo
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

89Hen wrote:
grizzaholic wrote:
Yes, what part of that didn't you catch the first time? I'm sure the NCAA would like to try to rekindle something there.
I didn't know past accomplishments should dictate current seeding. I'll have to remember to use that.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

grizzaholic wrote:
89Hen wrote: Yes, what part of that didn't you catch the first time? I'm sure the NCAA would like to try to rekindle something there.
I didn't know past accomplishments should dictate current seeding. I'll have to remember to use that.
Who is talking about seeds? If you don't think the committee chooses a team or two for the at-larges based on who the team is rather than just current season merit, you haven't been paying attention.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

89Hen wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote: But there are enough potential 7-4 teams to keep them out, especially since the Griz didn't play an FBS.
The NCAA doesn't select the teams, the playoff selection committee does. I really doubt the UCA or Bucknell athletic directors care one bit about whether the NCAA makes money off a home game in Missoula. Bid size matters for selecting home teams in unseeded games, of course (per the rules), but there's no reason to think it applies to selecting who gets in the field.

If "the NCAA liking Montana in the field" was a real factor, the Griz would've gotten in last year.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

How is the committee going to treat the 3 MVFC teams that are 5-4 vs FCS

UNI, WIU and ISUB. Possibly 2 could finish 6-4 against FCS competition.