dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

NEC adds Merrimack

Post by dbackjon »

http://northeastconference.org/news/201 ... EC_18.aspx

omerset, NJ -- Merrimack College has accepted an invitation from the Northeast Conference’s Council of Presidents to become the league’s 11th member, it was announced today by NEC Commissioner Noreen Morris.

Merrimack, located in Andover and North Andover, Massachusetts, will become a full member of the conference in 2023-24 upon completion of its four-year NCAA Division I reclassification period.

“We are thrilled to welcome Merrimack College to the Northeast Conference family!” Morris said. “From the outset it was extremely evident that President Hopey and the entire campus community had a clear vision to elevate the academic and athletic profile of Merrimack College. With increased investment in resources, capital improvements and personnel, that vision has become a reality with Merrimack’s most successful competitive season in 2017-18 and the college’s largest incoming freshman class ever entering in the Fall 2018. We are very excited that the NEC will be the future home of the Warriors!”

Twenty-two of Merrimack’s 24 teams currently compete at the NCAA Division II level. Men’s and women’s ice hockey currently compete as Division I programs and will remain in Hockey East.

“The College’s 2011 strategic plan, the Agenda for Distinction, called for Merrimack College to become a Division I institution to compete and excel at the highest level,” said college President Christopher E. Hopey, Ph.D. “We are pleased that our record of achievement and growth has resulted in this invitation to compete in the NEC and partner with its outstanding member institutions.”
:thumb: