Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Predictions 9-8

Post by JALMOND »

After the opening week of football season, I am at 10-3 and was taught a lesson not to bet against the conference unless it is blatantly obvious (PSU/Oregon, anyone?). This week, a couple non-conference, conference games (one of which is probably the best game of the bunch), and two teams going to South Dakota, and two heading to Oregon. My predictions for this weekend in the Big Sky.

EWU at NAU---Two teams that didn't want to wait to face each other. One thing that usually holds true in the conference is that when two explosive offenses collide, as both the Eagles and Lumberjacks have, a shootout will occur no matter how good the defenses may be...NAU 45, EWU 42.

Western New Mexico at UI---Reeling from the disaster resulting from stepping up a level last week. the Vandals step down to face a DII opponent in their first home game in the FCS in 22 years. Here's hoping this weekend will be a little bit easier than last weekend...UI 52, Western New Mexico 7.

Drake at UM---Fresh off the awesome performance last weekend, the Grizzlies face another FCS team from the state of Iowa. Judging from their performance, this game should be an easy win if they play like they did, but they could struggle if they are looking past the game...UM 40, Drake 10.

MSU at South Dakota State---The Bobcats took care of a Missouri Valley team last week and this week they are one of two Big Sky teams heading to the state of South Dakota. Many issues may seem to be resolved but playing on the road in a hostile environment could bring up some more...South Dakota State 38, MSU 17.

UNC at South Dakota---After almost stealing a win at home last weekend, the Bears are the other team heading out to the state of South Dakota. They may find playing the Missouri Valley on the road is a little bit tough as compared to playing the Southland at home...South Dakota 28, UNC 20.

PSU at Oregon---The Vikings gave up over 70 points last weekend and it wasn't even against their big Pac-12 brethren that they play this weekend. The only way they may stop their big brother is if the opponent decides that enough is enough and calls it good...Oregon 58, PSU 7.

SAC at San Diego State---The Hornets may think they have a shot at winning this game, at least until last week when San Diego State stayed within shouting distance of Stanford. Still, the Hornets can keep things interesting although a win may be a bit too much...San Diego State 35, SAC 24.

SUU at Oregon State---Still scratching their heads over the loss at home last weekend, the Thunderbirds head out on the road and move up to the Pac-12 level. This also had the makings of a possible upset, that is until the Thunderbirds lost their game...Oregon State 38, SUU 14.

San Diego at UCD---Fresh from their stunning victory over an FBS team, the Aggies welcome a Pioneer team to town for their home opener. No one really is thinking that the good feelings from the win will end anytime soon, at least not this weekend...UCD 35, San Diego 21.

WSU at CP---The Wildcats had a lead on their Pac-12 brethren for a little bit, only to see them march right past. They head out on the road to face a conference foe, the Mustangs, who took one on the chin against the #1 team in the country. Maybe some questions here but,...WSU 31, CP 17.

Idaho State gets a bye.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Big Sky Predictions 9-8

Post by AZGrizFan »

I think NAU beats EWU. The rest i agree with.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

AZGrizFan wrote:I think NAU beats EWU. The rest i agree with.
He has NAU over EWU. :?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Vidav wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:I think NAU beats EWU. The rest i agree with.
He has NAU over EWU. :?
:lol: :lol:

Well I’ll be....RIF I guess... :dunce:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Portland St. 9-66 Nike St.The Perverse Curiosity Bowl

Weber 31-17 Cal Poly (NC) — Can Cal Poly erase last year's awfulness? Probably not

San D-Leggo-My-Eggo 28-42 DavisThe Toreros won't be taken by surprise this time, but Davis is better

Sac 17-34 SDSUEh… the Hornets might have an outside chance here

WNMU 10-38 IdahoIdaho plays a non-DI for the first time since 1997

Suutah 34-49 Oregon St.North Alabama vs. Oregon State would be interesting

EWU 31-35 NAU (NC) — This could decide the auto-bid even though it doesn't count in the standings

Drake 10-27 MontanaFun Fact!: Drake beat a Chinese All-Star Team 77-0 in June

Montana St. 20-38 SoDak St.The Jackrabbits are at home & their opponent doesn't get any film

NoCo 21-34 SoDakUNC's first 4 games are all against plausible playoff teams

NoDak 6-49 UDubThe Lions get to enjoy some nice scenery & dry weather
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Saturday Sept 8th

Portland State - 0
Oregon - 55

Portland State had their chance to get an FBS win and blew it horribly, now they take on Big Bro.

Northern Colorado - 17
South Dakota - 35

The Bears have always been a horrible road team since they joined the FCS.

Drake - 13
Montana - 31

Last week's win was impressive, this week is a scheduled gimmie.

Western New Mexico - 9
Idaho - 68

Will the Kibbie Dome be empty?

Eastern Washinton - 38
Northern Arizona - 42

If NAU wins this game there is no reason they shouldn't run the table in the BSC.

Montana State - 17
South Dakota State - 35

Bobcat defense keeps them in the game for a while, but wear out late.

Southern Utah - 20
Oregon State - 38

Before the season started I liked SUU's chances.....now not so much.

Sacramento State - 21
San Diego State - 40

Sac leads at halftime, but the 2nd half is all San Diego State.

Weber State - 24
Cal Poly - 17

Who is better, Utah or North Dakota State? Doesn't matter, both teams need to show some offensive production.

San Diego - 21
UC Davis - 41

Aggies could be the real deal this year. But San Diego is no pushover.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

You're giving us much more credit than our own fans are.

Personally, I'm feeling more optimistic. (OK. Call me delusional. That's par for the course....)

Sac 31
SDSU 24

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND wrote:After the opening week of football season, I am at 10-3 and was taught a lesson not to bet against the conference unless it is blatantly obvious (PSU/Oregon, anyone?). This week, a couple non-conference, conference games (one of which is probably the best game of the bunch), and two teams going to South Dakota, and two heading to Oregon. My predictions for this weekend in the Big Sky.

EWU at NAU---Two teams that didn't want to wait to face each other. One thing that usually holds true in the conference is that when two explosive offenses collide, as both the Eagles and Lumberjacks have, a shootout will occur no matter how good the defenses may be...NAU 45, EWU 42.

Western New Mexico at UI---Reeling from the disaster resulting from stepping up a level last week. the Vandals step down to face a DII opponent in their first home game in the FCS in 22 years. Here's hoping this weekend will be a little bit easier than last weekend...UI 52, Western New Mexico 7.

Drake at UM---Fresh off the awesome performance last weekend, the Grizzlies face another FCS team from the state of Iowa. Judging from their performance, this game should be an easy win if they play like they did, but they could struggle if they are looking past the game...UM 40, Drake 10.

MSU at South Dakota State---The Bobcats took care of a Missouri Valley team last week and this week they are one of two Big Sky teams heading to the state of South Dakota. Many issues may seem to be resolved but playing on the road in a hostile environment could bring up some more...South Dakota State 38, MSU 17.

UNC at South Dakota---After almost stealing a win at home last weekend, the Bears are the other team heading out to the state of South Dakota. They may find playing the Missouri Valley on the road is a little bit tough as compared to playing the Southland at home...South Dakota 28, UNC 20.

PSU at Oregon---The Vikings gave up over 70 points last weekend and it wasn't even against their big Pac-12 brethren that they play this weekend. The only way they may stop their big brother is if the opponent decides that enough is enough and calls it good...Oregon 58, PSU 7.

SAC at San Diego State---The Hornets may think they have a shot at winning this game, at least until last week when San Diego State stayed within shouting distance of Stanford. Still, the Hornets can keep things interesting although a win may be a bit too much...San Diego State 35, SAC 24.

SUU at Oregon State---Still scratching their heads over the loss at home last weekend, the Thunderbirds head out on the road and move up to the Pac-12 level. This also had the makings of a possible upset, that is until the Thunderbirds lost their game...Oregon State 38, SUU 14.

San Diego at UCD---Fresh from their stunning victory over an FBS team, the Aggies welcome a Pioneer team to town for their home opener. No one really is thinking that the good feelings from the win will end anytime soon, at least not this weekend...UCD 35, San Diego 21.

WSU at CP---The Wildcats had a lead on their Pac-12 brethren for a little bit, only to see them march right past. They head out on the road to face a conference foe, the Mustangs, who took one on the chin against the #1 team in the country. Maybe some questions here but,...WSU 31, CP 17.

Idaho State gets a bye.
9-1 this week. 19-4 overall. Cookus going down hurt me.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote:9-1 this week. 19-4 overall. Cookus going down hurt me.
Same here (10-1 including NoDak/UDub).

NAU's backup wasn't too bad, though. What really killed NAU was not containing Gubrud in the pocket well enough.
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:

NAU's backup wasn't too bad, though. What really killed NAU was not containing Gubrud in the pocket well enough.
NAU's backup is going to be really good... looks like WR, runs like a RB, has the awareness and arm of a QB.

What really killed NAU was not having an answer for Nsimba Webster.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:

Bridge-Gadd had Cookus type numbers (17-29 231 3 TD's) and was very mobile. If Cookus had not been hurt this may have turned into more of a shootout but I think with the same result. Best has committed to the run and despite struggles with run blocking in this game, Reeder stuck to it, rushing it 38 times to 33 pass attempts. He even ran it on 3rd and 8. Some of its RPO stuff but it looks like they've clearly coached Gubrud to favor the run more in those decisions.

Even before McPherson's big run, Eastern had outgained the NAU on the ground. 11 penalties for 123 yards kept it closer than it should have been.