Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 9-2

Post by JALMOND »

Opening week is in the books and for the most part, the conference looked great. NAU and Davis both got wins in money games, and the conference went 2-1 over the Missouri Valley. Everyone seemed eager to get started and was ready to make a statement as a whole. Some tough games this weekend, with a couple non-conference, conference games, but they should be some good ones. Here are this week's power rankings (last week's ranking in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. All are up for discussion. Good luck.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---last week, beat Central Washington (DII), 58-13. This week, at Northern Arizona---The Eagles came out like they were deserving the top conference rating and put away any notion of a letdown. They have a tough one this weekend, but they should be ready.

2. Northern Arizona (2)---last week, won at UTEP (FBS C-USA), 30-10. This week Eastern Washington at home---Even though UTEP is a step up in terms of the level, the Lumberjacks seemed to have no problem getting the big win. They have a tough game at home this weekend coming up.

3. Weber State (3)---Last week, lost at Utah (FBS Pac-12), 41-10. This week at Cal Poly---The Wildcats had a lead after one quarter and were within a touchdown at halftime with their big brother from the Pac-12, but couldn't keep it going. They head out on the road for a non-conference tilt with a conference foe.

4. Montana (6)---Last week, beat Northern Iowa (Missouri Valley), 26-23. This week Drake (Pioneer) at home---The Grizzlies came out strong and ready and jumped out big on a good Missouri Valley team, but had to hang on for the win. Things may get a bit easier this week as they host a non-scholly.

5. Sacramento State (4)---Last week, beat St. Francis, IL (NAIA), 55-7. This week, at San Diego State (FBS Mountain West)---The Hornets did what they had to do and put away a lesser opponent with relative ease. This will get more difficult as they hit the road and move up a level this weekend.

6. UC-Davis (9)---Last week, won at San Jose State (FBS Mountain West) 44-38. This week San Diego (Pioneer) at home---The Aggies made everyone take notice of themselves as they controlled the game against a higher opponent and came away with a win. They now head back home to face a non-scholly team.

7. Montana State (8)---Last week, beat Western Illinois (Missouri Valley), 26-23. This week, at South Dakota State (Missouri Valley)---It may have taken a half, but the Bobcats may have found a quarterback and got a good home win. They stay in the Valley this weekend, but head out on the road.

8. Idaho (5)---Last week, lost at Fresno State (FBS Mountain West), 79-13. This week, Western New Mexico (DII)---Those people who thought the Vandals will rule the conference with their Sun Belt roster were rudely awakened in a rather shocking loss on the road. Things should be easier this weekend as they welcome a DII team.

9. Northern Colorado (12)---Last week, lost to McNeese State (Southland) at home, 17-14. This week, at South Dakota (Missouri Valley)---The Bears put forth a great and gallant effort last week and almost came out with a win over a good Southland opponent. Maybe a sign of things to come, but they venture out on the road now.

10. Southern Utah (7)---Last week, lost to North Alabama (FCS Independent) at home, 34-30. This week, at Oregon State (FBS Pac-12)---Given how well the conference fared this weekend, it was shocking to see the Thunderbirds drop a home game to a transitional team. Now they have to move up a level and hit the road.

11. Idaho State (11)---Last week, beat Western State (DII) at home 45-10. This week, bye---The Bengals took care of business last weekend against a lessor opponent and got things going on the right foot. This weekend, oddly, they get to rest and get ready for next weekend.

12. Cal Poly (10)---Last week, lost at North Dakota State (Missouri Valley), 49-3. This week, Weber State at home---"They are who we thought they were", could be the rousing theme for the Mustangs after last weekend's tangle with the #1 team. This week they get one of the conference heavies to come to town.

13. Portland State (13)---Last week, lost at Nevada (FBS Mountain West), 72-19. This week, at Oregon (FBS Pac-12)---Could one have expected any different when the bottom feeder moves up to play at an upper level? But this weekend, the Vikings move even higher as they enter Pac-12 airspace. Sheesh!

RECAP: 1-7 nipping at each other, 8-11 a step behind, 12-13 off the pace.
css75
Level3
Level3

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 9-2

Post by css75 »

It is things like scheduling a bye the 2nd week of the season, among other stupid things, as to why Idaho State is looking for a new Athletic Director. This was a brilliant example of Tingey’s incompetence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 9-2

Post by SuperHornet »

I'd like to argue at us dropping after a win, but I can't really argue with Montana beating a peer to overtake us. If anything, I might have dropped BBQ.

How does THIS sound for the top few?

EWU
NAU
UM
Sac
BBQ

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.