Starting Oct, Div I schools/coaches can no longer block players wanting to transfer

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Starting Oct, Div I schools/coaches can no longer block players wanting to transfer

Post by BDKJMU »

2nd of 2 big rule changes announced today.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... ct-process
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
css75
Level3
Level3

Re: Starting Oct, Div I schools/coaches can no longer block players wanting to transfer

Post by css75 »

I read somewhere that a tampering rule was also placed, but no details on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Starting Oct, Div I schools/coaches can no longer block players wanting to transfer

Post by BDKJMU »

css75 wrote:I read somewhere that a tampering rule was also placed, but no details on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Additionally, the proposal adds tampering with a current student-athlete at another school to the list of potential Level 2 violations, considered a significant breach of conduct.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Interesting commentary on this.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/orego ... iver_index

Note that this guy likes to stir things up out here in Portland so take it as you may. I did not see much in the way of commentary on this, and I think it deserves to be discussed. Yeah, FCS may lose some players who yearn for the spotlight of FBS, but at the same time, why should the player who lost his starting position at Oregon not be free to transfer to Portland State?
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote:Interesting commentary on this.

Note that this guy likes to stir things up out here in Portland so take it as you may. I did not see much in the way of commentary on this, and I think it deserves to be discussed. Yeah, FCS may lose some players who yearn for the spotlight of FBS, but at the same time, why should the player who lost his starting position at Oregon not be free to transfer to Portland State?
It's a bit hysterical & overblown. Getting rid of the 1-year sit-out rule is what would really devastate smaller schools.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
JALMOND wrote:Interesting commentary on this.

It's a bit hysterical & overblown. Getting rid of the 1-year sit-out rule is what would really devastate smaller schools.
So they’d still have to sit out a year to transfer up?
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

kalm wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
So they’d still have to sit out a year to transfer up?
Yes, AFAIK, unless they're grad transferring.

The writer of the column JALMOND posted makes that incredibly unclear, though. :?
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I've seen analysis that for all intents and purposes, this move makes G5/FCS and lower programs nothing more than P5 farm clubs. Not sure I like the sound of that....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

SuperHornet wrote:I've seen analysis that for all intents and purposes, this move makes G5/FCS and lower programs nothing more than P5 farm clubs. Not sure I like the sound of that....
You still have to sit out. It just means coaches can’t stop a kid from accepting a scholarship somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by SACCAT »

The conference can still make rules against transferring to certain conferences and schools. So the Big Sky can still say a player can't transfer to an other Big Sky school. I believe that the Big Sky and most already have this rule, but I could be wrong on that.