Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Post by BDKJMU »

8/25/18 JSU vs NC AT&T (25k Crampton Bowl, Montogomery, AL, ESPN)
https://www.guardiankickoffclassic.com/

Past Kickoff Games
-8/23/14 @ EWU 56, SHSU 35 (ESPN) Part of an already scheduled home and home, EWU had played @ SHSU 2013.

-8/29/15 @ Montana 38, NDSU 35 (ESPN). Part of an already scheduled home and home, MT had played @ NDSU 2014.

8/2716 @ NDSU 24, CSU 17 (OT) (ESPN)

8/26/17 JSU 27, UTC 13 (Crampton Bowl, Montgomery, AL, ESPN). Part of an already scheduled game in a long OOC series, the 2 teams had played 5 of the previous 6 seasons.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff

Post by BDKJMU »

Good for these teams (I imagine were 2 of the last to have their schedules released).
-1 week earlier practice.
-1 extra bye week.
-On ESPN. Back in 2014-2015, from what I can remember, it used to be the only college football game that weekend. I know last year there were other games that weekend. And for 2018 I see 4 others scheduled on that Saturday (2 I-AA @ G5, and 2 G5 @ G5). One of them is Hawaii @ Col St, and the 3 others involve teams that play @ Hawaii. Someone on the JMU board mentioned Div 1A teams are allowed to schedule during Week Zero (week before Labor Day weekend) if they are involved with games overseas or at Hawaii.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Should be an interesting matchup. I don't like how it's a neutral site game but oh well.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

There was an outside hope that EWU would play JSU in this as we still have two open dates and only 10 games filled and nothing has been announced. We'd only have 4 home games, but a winnable against a FCS power would have been better than a a 2nd FBS game (already play WSU).

Having an interim AD with less FCS experience and connections (She was associate AD at UTSA) doesn't help and the finalists for AD haven't even been announced yet.

I'm hopeful we can still get a home game against DII (FCS would be great but unlikely this late in the game). Otherwise we'll more than likely open

@ TBA FBS 9/1
@ NAU 9/8
@ WSU 9/15

:ohno:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:There was an outside hope that EWU would play JSU in this as we still have two open dates and only 10 games filled and nothing has been announced. We'd only have 4 home games, but a winnable against a FCS power would have been better than a a 2nd FBS game (already play WSU).

Having an interim AD with less FCS experience and connections (She was associate AD at UTSA) doesn't help and the finalists for AD haven't even been announced yet.

I'm hopeful we can still get a home game against DII (FCS would be great but unlikely this late in the game). Otherwise we'll more than likely open

@ TBA FBS 9/1
@ NAU 9/8
@ WSU 9/15

Wow, talk about late. I thought just about everyone I-AA outside of Hampton had their schedules lined up. And what I-A team(s) even have an opening on 9/1 this late? Sounds more likely you'll end up with a Div II..

You can't even start selling season tickets until the schedule is lined up, right? And I imagine you couldn't charge for only 4 home games as much as you charge for 5 or 6? Heck, I bitch about paying the same for 5 as do for 6 home games, which happens about once every 3 years with JMU (had 5 regular season home games in 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014, 2018). Something I believe you don't see happen at MT, NDSU, or UD..
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote:There was an outside hope that EWU would play JSU in this as we still have two open dates and only 10 games filled and nothing has been announced. We'd only have 4 home games, but a winnable against a FCS power would have been better than a a 2nd FBS game (already play WSU).

@ TBA FBS 9/1
@ NAU 9/8
@ WSU 9/15

Wow, talk about late. I thought just about everyone I-AA outside of Hampton had their schedules lined up. And what I-A team(s) even have an opening on 9/1 this late? Sounds more likely you'll end up with a Div II..

You can't even start selling season tickets until the schedule is lined up, right? And I imagine you couldn't charge for only 4 home games as much as you charge for 5 or 6? Heck, I bitch about paying the same for 5 as do for 6 home games, which happens about once every 3 years with JMU (had 5 regular season home games in 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014, 2018). Something I believe you don't see happen at MT, NDSU, or UD..
5 home games a year is tradition at Weber State, need to pay for the program after all. The last time Weber had 6 home games was in 2008 but Weber had to schedule 2 lower division opponents to do it. I really wish Weber would look East when scheduling. I know it's more expensive and East teams have more options within driving distance than to fly to Ogden. But I'd like to see more H&H's scheduled with teams East of the Dakota's
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

On paper it looks like a close game. Would be a good win for a MEAC school.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:Should be an interesting matchup. I don't like how it's a neutral site game but oh well.
Well, it is an in-state game for JSU at least. I'm not sure why they need to use the Cramton Bowl, though, since JSU's own stadium has about the same capacity.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Post by BDKJMU »

Starting.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

NC A&T pulls the upset 20-17.
What a sloppy game. Combined the 2 teams had 24 penalties for 248 yards.

JSU is the most undisciplined football team. JSU outgains NC A&T 403-148, but turns the ball over 4 times (4 fumbles, 3 lost) and has 14 penalties for 149 yards. Slew of personal fouls. They're also the most overrated. According to the TV graphics ranked #6. By what clown poll? Each of the last 2 seasons have been the #3 seed after going 10-1 out of a cupcake conference, similar to SHSU. And they've proceeded to get "upset" in the round of 16 each time.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I agree that Jacksonville State is consistently over rated. I was thinking that when the guys calling the game talked about how they had a 41 game regular season winning streak against non-FBS teams. My thought was that it's because they play in such a weak conference. I know the Southland has declined in recent years, but I don't think there is any way Jacksonville State could've gone 41 straight regular season games without losing to another FCS even playing in the Southland. And in something like the CAA or MVFC I think they'd be a middle of the pack team at best.

Saw a weird stat in that game. As noted Jacksonville State out gained North Carolina A&T by 403 to 148 in total yards. Yet the Gamecocks were only 1 of 11 on third down conversions while the Aggies were 6 of 18. That's weird.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

BDKJMU wrote:NC A&T pulls the upset 20-17.
What a sloppy game. Combined the 2 teams had 24 penalties for 248 yards.

JSU is the most undisciplined football team. JSU outgains NC A&T 403-148, but turns the ball over 4 times (4 fumbles, 3 lost) and has 14 penalties for 149 yards. Slew of personal fouls. They're also the most overrated. According to the TV graphics ranked #6. By what clown poll? Each of the last 2 seasons have been the #3 seed after going 10-1 out of a cupcake conference, similar to SHSU. And they've proceeded to get "upset" in the round of 16 each time.
The Gamecocks have a very explosive passing attack that exposed Aggies star DB FRANKLIN MC CAIN as a liability on defense twice via the deep ball!!!! The Aggies need to work on composure as you said to avoid senseless penalties.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Aggies have beaten a good team and deserve to move up in the polls.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Game was actually pretty fun to watch. Very sloppy but still fun. Good win for NC A&T and the MEAC. As for J.Ville State. I still think they will be a decent team with a very good chance of winning the Ohio Valley again.

Good to have FCS football back.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Gil Dobie wrote:Aggies have beaten a good team and deserve to move up in the polls.
No they don’t.

140 yards of offense
12-34 passing
3.3 yards per pass attempt
37 yards rushing on 36 carries

Gave up well over 400 yards to a team that literally did everything they could to give the game to AT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:Game was actually pretty fun to watch. Very sloppy but still fun. Good win for NC A&T and the MEAC. As for J.Ville State. I still think they will be a decent team with a very good chance of winning the Ohio Valley again.

Nothing about that was fun. It was fun like dental work.

That game was horrific.

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

clenz wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Aggies have beaten a good team and deserve to move up in the polls.
No they don’t.

140 yards of offense
12-34 passing

Gave up well over 400 yards to a team that literally did everything they could to give the game to AT.

So JSU should remain above them in the polls?
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

clenz wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:Game was actually pretty fun to watch. Very sloppy but still fun. Good win for NC A&T and the MEAC. As for J.Ville State. I still think they will be a decent team with a very good chance of winning the Ohio Valley again.

Nothing about that was fun. It was fun like dental work.

That game was horrific.

Maybe I thought it was fun because I was just excited about football being back :lol:
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Their front seven got exposed big time with the lack of a pass rush!!!!!
Last edited by dal4018 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

clenz wrote:
No they don’t.

140 yards of offense
12-34 passing

Good point their star DB FRANKLIN MC CAIN was exposed as a liability on pass defense via the DEEP BALL!!!!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dal4018 wrote:
Yes it was a excellent win for the Aggies this should get them in the top 25.
AGS had them at #19, they could break the top 10, while JSU breaks the top 10 going the opposite direction.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
dal4018 wrote: Yes it was a excellent win for the Aggies this should get them in the top 25.
AGS had them at #19, they could break the top 10, while JSU breaks the top 10 going the opposite direction.
Again their pass defense is a liability their front 7 needs to get much better inspite of the win!!!!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dal4018 wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Again their pass defense is a liability their front 7 needs to get much better inspite of the win!!!!
AGS vote comes out again after this weeks games. If they beat East Carolina, they deserve to be top ten at this early point of the season.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
dal4018 wrote: Yes it was a excellent win for the Aggies this should get them in the top 25.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
After NDSU & JMU, who would be heavy favorites to beat A&T on a neutral site?