Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff

Postby BDKJMU » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:08 pm

8/25/18 JSU vs NC AT&T (25k Crampton Bowl, Montogomery, AL, ESPN)
https://www.guardiankickoffclassic.com/

Past Kickoff Games
-8/23/14 @ EWU 56, SHSU 35 (ESPN) Part of an already scheduled home and home, EWU had played @ SHSU 2013.

-8/29/15 @ Montana 38, NDSU 35 (ESPN). Part of an already scheduled home and home, MT had played @ NDSU 2014.

8/2716 @ NDSU 24, CSU 17 (OT) (ESPN)

8/26/17 JSU 27, UTC 13 (Crampton Bowl, Montgomery, AL, ESPN). Part of an already scheduled game in a long OOC series, the 2 teams had played 5 of the previous 6 seasons.
Houston: Made JMU Football Great Again.
28-2, 27-1 vs IAA, 18-0 vs the CAA, 17-0 at Bridgeforth.
1st Yankee/A-10/CAA team ever to go undefeated in league play in back to back seasons.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff

Postby BDKJMU » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:08 pm

Good for these teams (I imagine were 2 of the last to have their schedules released).
-1 week earlier practice.
-1 extra bye week.
-On ESPN. Back in 2014-2015, from what I can remember, it used to be the only college football game that weekend. I know last year there were other games that weekend. And for 2018 I see 4 others scheduled on that Saturday (2 I-AA @ G5, and 2 G5 @ G5). One of them is Hawaii @ Col St, and the 3 others involve teams that play @ Hawaii. Someone on the JMU board mentioned Div 1A teams are allowed to schedule during Week Zero (week before Labor Day weekend) if they are involved with games overseas or at Hawaii.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st Yankee/A-10/CAA team ever to go undefeated in league play in back to back seasons.

Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Postby Wildcat Ryan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:15 am

Should be an interesting matchup. I don't like how it's a neutral site game but oh well.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern

Postby kalm » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:45 am

There was an outside hope that EWU would play JSU in this as we still have two open dates and only 10 games filled and nothing has been announced. We'd only have 4 home games, but a winnable against a FCS power would have been better than a a 2nd FBS game (already play WSU).

Having an interim AD with less FCS experience and connections (She was associate AD at UTSA) doesn't help and the finalists for AD haven't even been announced yet.

I'm hopeful we can still get a home game against DII (FCS would be great but unlikely this late in the game). Otherwise we'll more than likely open

@ TBA FBS 9/1
@ NAU 9/8
@ WSU 9/15

:ohno:

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Postby BDKJMU » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:37 am

kalm wrote:There was an outside hope that EWU would play JSU in this as we still have two open dates and only 10 games filled and nothing has been announced. We'd only have 4 home games, but a winnable against a FCS power would have been better than a a 2nd FBS game (already play WSU).

Having an interim AD with less FCS experience and connections (She was associate AD at UTSA) doesn't help and the finalists for AD haven't even been announced yet.

I'm hopeful we can still get a home game against DII (FCS would be great but unlikely this late in the game). Otherwise we'll more than likely open

@ TBA FBS 9/1
@ NAU 9/8
@ WSU 9/15

Wow, talk about late. I thought just about everyone I-AA outside of Hampton had their schedules lined up. And what I-A team(s) even have an opening on 9/1 this late? Sounds more likely you'll end up with a Div II..

You can't even start selling season tickets until the schedule is lined up, right? And I imagine you couldn't charge for only 4 home games as much as you charge for 5 or 6? Heck, I bitch about paying the same for 5 as do for 6 home games, which happens about once every 3 years with JMU (had 5 regular season home games in 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014, 2018). Something I believe you don't see happen at MT, NDSU, or UD..

Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Postby Wildcat Ryan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:40 am

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote:There was an outside hope that EWU would play JSU in this as we still have two open dates and only 10 games filled and nothing has been announced. We'd only have 4 home games, but a winnable against a FCS power would have been better than a a 2nd FBS game (already play WSU).

@ TBA FBS 9/1
@ NAU 9/8
@ WSU 9/15

Wow, talk about late. I thought just about everyone I-AA outside of Hampton had their schedules lined up. And what I-A team(s) even have an opening on 9/1 this late? Sounds more likely you'll end up with a Div II..

You can't even start selling season tickets until the schedule is lined up, right? And I imagine you couldn't charge for only 4 home games as much as you charge for 5 or 6? Heck, I bitch about paying the same for 5 as do for 6 home games, which happens about once every 3 years with JMU (had 5 regular season home games in 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014, 2018). Something I believe you don't see happen at MT, NDSU, or UD..

5 home games a year is tradition at Weber State, need to pay for the program after all. The last time Weber had 6 home games was in 2008 but Weber had to schedule 2 lower division opponents to do it. I really wish Weber would look East when scheduling. I know it's more expensive and East teams have more options within driving distance than to fly to Ogden. But I'd like to see more H&H's scheduled with teams East of the Dakota's

Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Postby Gil Dobie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:26 am

On paper it looks like a close game. Would be a good win for a MEAC school.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mvemjsunpx
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Montana

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:47 am

Wildcat Ryan wrote:Should be an interesting matchup. I don't like how it's a neutral site game but oh well.

Well, it is an in-state game for JSU at least. I'm not sure why they need to use the Cramton Bowl, though, since JSU's own stadium has about the same capacity.

Return to “Championship Subdivision Football - FCS”