2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14275
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby BDKJMU » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:08 pm

8/25/18 JSU vs NC AT&T (25k Crampton Bowl, Montogomery, AL, ESPN)
https://www.guardiankickoffclassic.com/

Past Kickoff Games
-8/23/14 @ EWU 56, SHSU 35 (ESPN) Part of an already scheduled home and home, EWU had played @ SHSU 2013.

-8/29/15 @ Montana 38, NDSU 35 (ESPN). Part of an already scheduled home and home, MT had played @ NDSU 2014.

8/2716 @ NDSU 24, CSU 17 (OT) (ESPN)

8/26/17 JSU 27, UTC 13 (Crampton Bowl, Montgomery, AL, ESPN). Part of an already scheduled game in a long OOC series, the 2 teams had played 5 of the previous 6 seasons.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Houston: Made JMU Football Great Again.
-30-3
-29-1 vs IAA.
-18-0 vs CAA (JMU 20 straight wins vs CAA). 1st Yankee/A-10/CAA team ever to go undefeated in league play in back to back seasons.
-18-0 at home.

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14275
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff

Postby BDKJMU » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:08 pm

Good for these teams (I imagine were 2 of the last to have their schedules released).
-1 week earlier practice.
-1 extra bye week.
-On ESPN. Back in 2014-2015, from what I can remember, it used to be the only college football game that weekend. I know last year there were other games that weekend. And for 2018 I see 4 others scheduled on that Saturday (2 I-AA @ G5, and 2 G5 @ G5). One of them is Hawaii @ Col St, and the 3 others involve teams that play @ Hawaii. Someone on the JMU board mentioned Div 1A teams are allowed to schedule during Week Zero (week before Labor Day weekend) if they are involved with games overseas or at Hawaii.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Houston: Made JMU Football Great Again.
-30-3
-29-1 vs IAA.
-18-0 vs CAA (JMU 20 straight wins vs CAA). 1st Yankee/A-10/CAA team ever to go undefeated in league play in back to back seasons.
-18-0 at home.

User avatar
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:59 pm
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff

Postby Wildcat Ryan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:15 am

Should be an interesting matchup. I don't like how it's a neutral site game but oh well.
Image

User avatar
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 39101
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff

Postby kalm » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:45 am

There was an outside hope that EWU would play JSU in this as we still have two open dates and only 10 games filled and nothing has been announced. We'd only have 4 home games, but a winnable against a FCS power would have been better than a a 2nd FBS game (already play WSU).

Having an interim AD with less FCS experience and connections (She was associate AD at UTSA) doesn't help and the finalists for AD haven't even been announced yet.

I'm hopeful we can still get a home game against DII (FCS would be great but unlikely this late in the game). Otherwise we'll more than likely open

@ TBA FBS 9/1
@ NAU 9/8
@ WSU 9/15

:ohno:
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14275
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff

Postby BDKJMU » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:37 am

kalm wrote:There was an outside hope that EWU would play JSU in this as we still have two open dates and only 10 games filled and nothing has been announced. We'd only have 4 home games, but a winnable against a FCS power would have been better than a a 2nd FBS game (already play WSU).

Having an interim AD with less FCS experience and connections (She was associate AD at UTSA) doesn't help and the finalists for AD haven't even been announced yet.

I'm hopeful we can still get a home game against DII (FCS would be great but unlikely this late in the game). Otherwise we'll more than likely open

@ TBA FBS 9/1
@ NAU 9/8
@ WSU 9/15

:ohno:

Wow, talk about late. I thought just about everyone I-AA outside of Hampton had their schedules lined up. And what I-A team(s) even have an opening on 9/1 this late? Sounds more likely you'll end up with a Div II..

You can't even start selling season tickets until the schedule is lined up, right? And I imagine you couldn't charge for only 4 home games as much as you charge for 5 or 6? Heck, I bitch about paying the same for 5 as do for 6 home games, which happens about once every 3 years with JMU (had 5 regular season home games in 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014, 2018). Something I believe you don't see happen at MT, NDSU, or UD..
Houston: Made JMU Football Great Again.
-30-3
-29-1 vs IAA.
-18-0 vs CAA (JMU 20 straight wins vs CAA). 1st Yankee/A-10/CAA team ever to go undefeated in league play in back to back seasons.
-18-0 at home.

User avatar
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:59 pm
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff

Postby Wildcat Ryan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:40 am

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote:There was an outside hope that EWU would play JSU in this as we still have two open dates and only 10 games filled and nothing has been announced. We'd only have 4 home games, but a winnable against a FCS power would have been better than a a 2nd FBS game (already play WSU).

Having an interim AD with less FCS experience and connections (She was associate AD at UTSA) doesn't help and the finalists for AD haven't even been announced yet.

I'm hopeful we can still get a home game against DII (FCS would be great but unlikely this late in the game). Otherwise we'll more than likely open

@ TBA FBS 9/1
@ NAU 9/8
@ WSU 9/15

:ohno:

Wow, talk about late. I thought just about everyone I-AA outside of Hampton had their schedules lined up. And what I-A team(s) even have an opening on 9/1 this late? Sounds more likely you'll end up with a Div II..

You can't even start selling season tickets until the schedule is lined up, right? And I imagine you couldn't charge for only 4 home games as much as you charge for 5 or 6? Heck, I bitch about paying the same for 5 as do for 6 home games, which happens about once every 3 years with JMU (had 5 regular season home games in 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014, 2018). Something I believe you don't see happen at MT, NDSU, or UD..


5 home games a year is tradition at Weber State, need to pay for the program after all. The last time Weber had 6 home games was in 2008 but Weber had to schedule 2 lower division opponents to do it. I really wish Weber would look East when scheduling. I know it's more expensive and East teams have more options within driving distance than to fly to Ogden. But I'd like to see more H&H's scheduled with teams East of the Dakota's
Image

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21272
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Liberal Lakes

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff

Postby Gil Dobie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:26 am

On paper it looks like a close game. Would be a good win for a MEAC school.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
Posts: 10065
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:47 am

Wildcat Ryan wrote:Should be an interesting matchup. I don't like how it's a neutral site game but oh well.


Well, it is an in-state game for JSU at least. I'm not sure why they need to use the Cramton Bowl, though, since JSU's own stadium has about the same capacity.

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14275
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby BDKJMU » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Starting.
Houston: Made JMU Football Great Again.
-30-3
-29-1 vs IAA.
-18-0 vs CAA (JMU 20 straight wins vs CAA). 1st Yankee/A-10/CAA team ever to go undefeated in league play in back to back seasons.
-18-0 at home.

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 14275
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby BDKJMU » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:14 pm

NC A&T pulls the upset 20-17.
What a sloppy game. Combined the 2 teams had 24 penalties for 248 yards.

JSU is the most undisciplined football team. JSU outgains NC A&T 403-148, but turns the ball over 4 times (4 fumbles, 3 lost) and has 14 penalties for 149 yards. Slew of personal fouls. They're also the most overrated. According to the TV graphics ranked #6. By what clown poll? Each of the last 2 seasons have been the #3 seed after going 10-1 out of a cupcake conference, similar to SHSU. And they've proceeded to get "upset" in the round of 16 each time.
Houston: Made JMU Football Great Again.
-30-3
-29-1 vs IAA.
-18-0 vs CAA (JMU 20 straight wins vs CAA). 1st Yankee/A-10/CAA team ever to go undefeated in league play in back to back seasons.
-18-0 at home.

User avatar
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
Posts: 15975
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby JohnStOnge » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:16 am

I agree that Jacksonville State is consistently over rated. I was thinking that when the guys calling the game talked about how they had a 41 game regular season winning streak against non-FBS teams. My thought was that it's because they play in such a weak conference. I know the Southland has declined in recent years, but I don't think there is any way Jacksonville State could've gone 41 straight regular season games without losing to another FCS even playing in the Southland. And in something like the CAA or MVFC I think they'd be a middle of the pack team at best.

Saw a weird stat in that game. As noted Jacksonville State out gained North Carolina A&T by 403 to 148 in total yards. Yet the Gamecocks were only 1 of 11 on third down conversions while the Aggies were 6 of 18. That's weird.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star

Deep Purple: No One Came
Image

dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 8661
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby dal4018 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:41 am

BDKJMU wrote:NC A&T pulls the upset 20-17.
What a sloppy game. Combined the 2 teams had 24 penalties for 248 yards.

JSU is the most undisciplined football team. JSU outgains NC A&T 403-148, but turns the ball over 4 times (4 fumbles, 3 lost) and has 14 penalties for 149 yards. Slew of personal fouls. They're also the most overrated. According to the TV graphics ranked #6. By what clown poll? Each of the last 2 seasons have been the #3 seed after going 10-1 out of a cupcake conference, similar to SHSU. And they've proceeded to get "upset" in the round of 16 each time.

The Gamecocks have a very explosive passing attack that exposed Aggies star DB FRANKLIN MC CAIN as a liability on defense twice via the deep ball!!!! The Aggies need to work on composure as you said to avoid senseless penalties.

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21272
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Liberal Lakes

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby Gil Dobie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:46 am

Aggies have beaten a good team and deserve to move up in the polls.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:59 pm
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby Wildcat Ryan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:48 am

Game was actually pretty fun to watch. Very sloppy but still fun. Good win for NC A&T and the MEAC. As for J.Ville State. I still think they will be a decent team with a very good chance of winning the Ohio Valley again.

Good to have FCS football back.
Image

clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 20430
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby clenz » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:06 am

Gil Dobie wrote:Aggies have beaten a good team and deserve to move up in the polls.

No they don’t.

140 yards of offense
12-34 passing
3.3 yards per pass attempt
37 yards rushing on 36 carries

Gave up well over 400 yards to a team that literally did everything they could to give the game to AT.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 20430
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby clenz » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:07 am

Wildcat Ryan wrote:Game was actually pretty fun to watch. Very sloppy but still fun. Good win for NC A&T and the MEAC. As for J.Ville State. I still think they will be a decent team with a very good chance of winning the Ohio Valley again.

Good to have FCS football back.

Nothing about that was fun. It was fun like dental work.


That game was horrific.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21272
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Liberal Lakes

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby Gil Dobie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:12 am

clenz wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Aggies have beaten a good team and deserve to move up in the polls.

No they don’t.

140 yards of offense
12-34 passing
3.3 yards per pass attempt
37 yards rushing on 36 carries

Gave up well over 400 yards to a team that literally did everything they could to give the game to AT.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


So JSU should remain above them in the polls?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:59 pm
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby Wildcat Ryan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:43 am

clenz wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:Game was actually pretty fun to watch. Very sloppy but still fun. Good win for NC A&T and the MEAC. As for J.Ville State. I still think they will be a decent team with a very good chance of winning the Ohio Valley again.

Good to have FCS football back.

Nothing about that was fun. It was fun like dental work.


That game was horrific.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Maybe I thought it was fun because I was just excited about football being back :lol:
Image

dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 8661
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby dal4018 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:13 am

Gil Dobie wrote:Aggies have beaten a good team and deserve to move up in the polls.

Their front seven got exposed big time with the lack of a pass rush!!!!!
Last edited by dal4018 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 8661
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby dal4018 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:15 am

clenz wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Aggies have beaten a good team and deserve to move up in the polls.

No they don’t.

140 yards of offense
12-34 passing
3.3 yards per pass attempt
37 yards rushing on 36 carries

Gave up well over 400 yards to a team that literally did everything they could to give the game to AT.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point their star DB FRANKLIN MC CAIN was exposed as a liability on pass defense via the DEEP BALL!!!!

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21272
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Liberal Lakes

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby Gil Dobie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:17 am

dal4018 wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Aggies have beaten a good team and deserve to move up in the polls.

Yes it was a excellent win for the Aggies this should get them in the top 25.


AGS had them at #19, they could break the top 10, while JSU breaks the top 10 going the opposite direction.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 8661
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby dal4018 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:19 am

Gil Dobie wrote:
dal4018 wrote:Yes it was a excellent win for the Aggies this should get them in the top 25.


AGS had them at #19, they could break the top 10, while JSU breaks the top 10 going the opposite direction.

Again their pass defense is a liability their front 7 needs to get much better inspite of the win!!!!

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21272
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Liberal Lakes

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby Gil Dobie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:23 am

dal4018 wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
AGS had them at #19, they could break the top 10, while JSU breaks the top 10 going the opposite direction.

Again their pass defense is a liability their front 7 needs to get much better inspite of the win!!!!


AGS vote comes out again after this weeks games. If they beat East Carolina, they deserve to be top ten at this early point of the season.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 39101
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: klam
Location: Northern Palouse

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby kalm » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:45 am

Gil Dobie wrote:
dal4018 wrote:Yes it was a excellent win for the Aggies this should get them in the top 25.


AGS had them at #19, they could break the top 10, while JSU breaks the top 10 going the opposite direction.


:ohno:
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 21272
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State
Location: Liberal Lakes

Re: 2018 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff, JSU vs NC A&T, tonight, 7 PM, ESPN

Postby Gil Dobie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:48 am

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
AGS had them at #19, they could break the top 10, while JSU breaks the top 10 going the opposite direction.


:ohno:


After NDSU & JMU, who would be heavy favorites to beat A&T on a neutral site?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Return to “Championship Subdivision Football - FCS”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chizzang, Silenoz and 53 guests