Will NDSU Repeat? Athlon Sports

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Will NDSU Repeat? Athlon Sports

Post by Gil Dobie »

They have a chance, but like the article says, injuries or a 1 and done playoff loss, if they make the playoffs, or another team getting hot and stepping up.

Link

The North Dakota State dynasty never fails to find motivation from an offseason factor.

With each of the Bison’s record five straight FCS national titles beginning in the 2011 season, they wanted to continue repeating as the national champ. After the run ended in 2016, they wanted to make amends with another title this past season.

In 2018, head coach Chris Klieman’s program is heavily favored to stay No. 1 in the subdivision, and there’s quite the carrot dangling in front of the Bison — they could break their tie with Georgia Southern for the most all-time FCS titles by winning a seventh in eight years.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Re: Will NDSU Repeat? Athlon Sports

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

A more interesting question for me is, Who will rise up to challenge them? Which team has the best shot at knocking them off?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:A more interesting question for me is, Who will rise up to challenge them? Which team has the best shot at knocking them off?
Will it be Weber St? Looked good in the playoffs this year. Who do they lose?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:A more interesting question for me is, Who will rise up to challenge them? Which team has the best shot at knocking them off?
I asked Ryan that a few weeks ago because I know they lose Cantwell, first team AA DB Travon Johnson, and 2nd team AA TE Andrew Vollert. That's quite a bit of talent to lose, but he thinks it's still a reload situation so we'll see. They're definitely well coached and have momentum.

I know they're from a weaker conference, but Kennesaw's run was impressive. Great defense which should keep them in most games, and I think they practically return everyone as there first recruiting class was just 3 years ago.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Gil Dobie wrote:

I'll kinda answer this with the same answer I gave kalm in a different topic with some minor tweaks
I'm not too concerned with replacing Johnson, Vollert, and Harry, Weber had a plethora of young Talent at those positions especially Rashid Shaheed and Tyjuan Smith at WR, and Benjamin and Hoskins on the defense. I am more concerned about our defensive line and linebackers which was hit pretty hard by graduation but we do have some young players who raised some eyebrows this last season. Our center and entire right side of our offensive line were all freshmen and on the other side one was a junior and one was a sophomore so I'm not worried there. The quarterback situation is the biggest Issue. I do not want to see SUU offensive player of the game Justin Shaw as our starting quarterback next year. I would actually prefer it if Weber started incoming freshman and Washington native Kaden Jenks of Royal City High School. The kid was 27-0 during his starting junior and senior seasons, after watching film of him he reminds me of Cantwell. A big fast kid but with a stronger and more accurate arm. Weber's season may have growing pains during the season but I think it will be worth it in the years to come for the kid to start.

A lot of underclassmen had significant playing time last season. We do lose a lot of offensive firepower but from what I have seen from kids who will be back I'm not overly worried (except at the QB spot, but knowing Cantwell basically came out of nowhere and was such a great QB for Weber gives me hope that it could happen again.)

The defensive line and linebackers is where Weber was hurt the hardest in my opinion, however in all 4 years of his tenure at Weber, Hill's defenses have been one of if not the top defenses in the league. So I'm not worried there. And after looking at some of the kids who had recently committed to play for Weber....It makes me happy to say the least :nod:

I hope it's Weber who challenges the Bison, would be great to make a deep run in the playoffs and continue to improve the image of Weber State football on the national level. I like what I saw out of Kennesaw, very talented team with a bunch if not all talent returning. James Madison will be good again, and I did like what I saw from Furman. Should be an interesting season.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
I asked Ryan that a few weeks ago because I know they lose Cantwell, first team AA DB Travon Johnson, and 2nd team AA TE Andrew Vollert. That's quite a bit of talent to lose, but he thinks it's still a reload situation so we'll see. They're definitely well coached and have momentum.

I know they're from a weaker conference, but Kennesaw's run was impressive. Great defense which should keep them in most games, and I think they practically return everyone as there first recruiting class was just 3 years ago.
Yep, like I've already said in another thread, their game notes showed only 2 of 22 starters as seniors. Offense was 10 juniors & 1 rFr. Defense was 2 seniors, 7 juniors, 1 rSo, 1 rFr. When was the last time you saw a quarterfinal team return 20 starters, with 17 being seniors? That's insane. I expect them to be significantly better than last season, when they were 10-1 regular season, 12-2 overall, 4-2 vs playoff teams:
L @ Samford 28-23
W Monmouth 52-21
Playoffs
W Samford 28-17
W @ #3 seed JSU 17-7
L @ #6 seed SHSU 34-27

Yeah, the Big South is weak, but OOC next season KSU plays OOC:
-opener @ Ga State (was 7-5)
-Samford (will be pre season #1 or #2 SoCon)
-JSU (in Atlanta) (JSU 10-1/8-0, top 3 seed last 4 seasons)

I expect KSU to be 10-1 or 11-0 and be a seed..Reminds me of GSU in mid 80s. Same state, same offense, same trajectory as a brand new program. GSU, went 8-3 in 1984, their 3rd season of football, missed then 12 team playoffs, won NC 4th season in 1985.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.