Football Championship Subdivision discussions
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Re: Tubby Raymond RIP

Post by andy7171 »

GannonFan wrote:What year was Towson St snubbed in? Give us the year and we can talk about whether your weird chastising of the recently departed is with cause or not.
We had the #1 offense in the country.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

andy7171 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:What year was Towson St snubbed in? Give us the year and we can talk about whether your weird chastising of the recently departed is with cause or not.
Can't find schedules anymore - you guys were 8-2 - what did the schedule look like? Obviously YSU and Central Fla, who did make the playoffs, were also coming in as independents.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote:
andy7171 wrote: 1993
Can't find schedules anymore - you guys were 8-2 - what did the schedule look like? Obviously YSU and Central Fla, who did make the playoffs, were also coming in as independents.
From what I can find it looks like Towson beat Delaware (Delaware's only home loss) and lost to Howard. I'm not sure who the other loss was. I wouldn't fault Tubby for lobbying for his own team but it's gamesmanship if he lobbied for another team over one that beat his. They did take 16 or the top 18 teams ranked in the Sports Network poll (no memory of how accurate this poll was) and Towson was #24 so I'm not sure you can pin this on Tubby.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Remember that 1993 was the year all the D2 football schools had to move up to I-AA, so there were a LOT of new teams in I-AA (Buffalo, Central Conn St, Chuck So, Troy, UAB, etc...)

Torson had wins over: Central Conn St, Delaware St, Chuck So, UConn, Buffalo, Delaware, Bucknell and Morgan St.

Losses to: Howard and Hofstra

Playoff field that year: (*conference winners)

Eastern Kentucky*
Georgia Southern*

Central Florida
Youngstown State

Northern Iowa*
Boston U*

Idaho
Northeast Louisiana

Delaware
Montana*

Howard*
Marshall

William & Mary
McNeese State*

Stephen F. Austin
Troy State

7 of the 16 teams don't play I-AA football any more.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Yup, I see it now, I called up Towson's media guide. 3 MEAC teams, 2 teams that just forced-reclassified because of the Dayton rule (Charleston Southern all the way from DIII and Cent Connecticut from DII). That's 5 of the 8 wins. And as I said, two other Independent teams already had better resumes (YSU and Cent Fla). I remember UD was the 15th seed that year (they seeded all 16 then) and went to play and beat Montana in that famous 49-48 game in Missoula, and then was a botched fumble recovery on a kickoff after they just tied it away from beating Marshall in Huntington that year. In an expanded playoff Towson St would've been in, but in a field of 16 like that with that schedule I can see why Tubby lobbied like he did.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation