1R - San Diego @ NAU

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: 1R - San Diego @ NAU

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

NAU didn't even really try to score on that final drive. 41-10 the final.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Remember: this San Diego team lost to UC Davis 35-7.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:Remember: this San Diego team lost to UC Davis 35-7.

And that same UC Davis lost by a combined 88-30 to the Big Sky co-champs.

Not a good showing by NAU, and embarrassing for the Big Sky.
mtjack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NAU Lumberjacks!

Post by mtjack »

Well....that sucked.

I drove 4 hours with traffic to the game and 3 hours back to witness that steaming turd of a game. An embarrassing display by both the offense and the defense. Silver lining, perhaps, is at least NAU special teams kept it together. It boggles the mind how seemingly the whole team was simultaneously disengaged, sleep walking and lethargic when the stakes are this high. First time I've ever walked out early from an NAU sporting event.

On the flip side, kudos to U San Diego. Other than a flurry of pass interference calls, they played harder, smarter and with much more passion than NAU.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

“It was an ass kicking,” said USD coach Dale Lindsey. “I’m shocked by it. I really am.”
:lol:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spo ... story.html
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
“It was an ass kicking,” said USD coach Dale Lindsey. “I’m shocked by it. I really am.”
:lol:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spo ... story.html
Ya gotta like Dale Lindsey. :clap:
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

Guess they picked the wrong 3rd team from the Big Sky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
SDHornet wrote: They don't offer scholarships....they offer grants in aid. :coffee:
I thought that was the Ivy.
I'm sure USD does the same. Harbaugh (sp?) didn't go on those runs with dudes he pulled off of the USD campus.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Jjoey52 wrote:Guess they picked the wrong 3rd team from the Big Sky.

Yup. EWU should be even more pissed than they already were.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

NAU is an embarrassment to the conference....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

My thought as I was watching San Diego physically dominate was that Northern Arizona was one of the five teams they selected while leaving McNeese State out even though they were rated lower than McNeese State in the Simple Ratings System the NCAA uses. Four of the subject five teams lost and the only one that didn't struggled with Central Connecticut State.

At least the NCAA could justify taking Northern Arizona over Eastern Washington based on Northern Arisona being rated higher in its Simple Rating System. Not so with Northern Arizona vs. McNeese State.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Re: RE: Re: 1R - San Diego @ NAU

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:San Diego with a 15-yard TD run after a sack-fumble.

24-7 San Diego, late-2Q

Why did NAU get in ahead of Montana & EWU, again? :?
Because neither Montana or Eastern deserved to get boat raced in the playoffs like NAU.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote:

My thought as I was watching San Diego physically dominate was that Northern Arizona was one of the five teams they selected while leaving McNeese State out even though they were rated lower than McNeese State in the Simple Ratings System the NCAA uses. Four of the subject five teams lost and the only one that didn't struggled with Central Connecticut State.

At least the NCAA could justify taking Northern Arizona over Eastern Washington based on Northern Arisona being rated higher in its Simple Rating System. Not so with Northern Arizona vs. McNeese State.
I think Eastern beats USD, but McNeese does not.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:

I wouldn't go hanging my hat on the SRS.

For starters, it awards the same points value for a win against 0-11 VMI that it does for a win against 11-0 JMU.

EWU had a better strength of schedule than NAU, a better strength of schedule within the Big Sky conference, significantly outscored common opponents, had the same record against common opponents, had the same overall record. Best wins were NAU beating a 6-5 ISUr and EWU beating 7-4 Montana. Both teams beat a 7-4 Sac State.

Remove FBS and DII games and an 8-2 McNeese's resume is not as good as either NAU or EWU at 7-3 if you properly weigh quality wins and SoS.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

For starters, it awards the same points value for a win against 0-11 VMI that it does for a win against 11-0 JMU.

EWU had a better strength of schedule than NAU, a better strength of schedule within the Big Sky conference, significantly outscored common opponents, had the same record against common opponents, had the same overall record. Best wins were NAU beating a 6-5 ISUr and EWU beating 7-4 Montana. Both teams beat a 7-4 Sac State.

Remove FBS and DII games and an 8-2 McNeese's resume is not as good as either NAU or EWU at 7-3 if you properly weigh quality wins and SoS.
My take from the committee interview, was OOC FCS WINS mattered a lot. Reason Austin Peay didn't make the playoffs. NAU vs ISUR was a better win than EWU vs Fordham. If EWU beats NDSU, they are in.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:

My take from the committee interview, was OOC FCS WINS mattered a lot. Reason Austin Peay didn't make the playoffs. NAU vs ISUR was a better win than EWU vs Fordham. If EWU beats NDSU, they are in.
You may be right but that's a flawed metric as well for many reasons.

Furman beat Colgate. Nichols beat PVA&M. Monmouth?

8-3 with any OOC FCS gets you in. Would Montana be in at 8-3?

SUU getting the 8 seed?

Schedule weak is the lesson learned.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

SUU getting the 8 seed?

Bad thing is and this year proved it, is that if Eastern or Montana aren't at the top of the BSC standings the conference as a whole is looked at as weak even if both Eastern and Montana are still good. It's really unfortunate. Southern Utah got no respect despite having a more solid resume than half the teams that got seeds.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

SUU getting the 8 seed?

Colgate tied for first in Fordham's conference, Nicholls was 8-3, Monmouth 9-2 and beat the team tied with Colgate. Need to schedule a better Patriot team. But the Committee.......
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:

SUU getting the 8 seed?

Colgate tied for first in Fordham's conference, Nicholls was 8-3, Monmouth 9-2 and beat the team tied with Colgate. Need to schedule a better Patriot team. But the Committee.......
Then McNeese should be in ahead of Furman, South Dakota, NAU, and UNH.

Furman's two best wins were non-playoff teams in Colgate 7-4 and WCU 7-5. So I agree, the committee must value OOC FCS wins over practically everything else.

You trolling bastard! :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Last Nov Hillary embarrassed in a huge upset. This Nov NAU embarrassed in a huge upset.

Past 2 Novembers haven't been good to Dback.. :lol:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Hope NDSU doesn't get upset and hope the suspensions don't impact the game.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Well, we'll never know. But I'd feel pretty optimistic about USD not being able to run the ball against McNeese and I think them not being able to run the ball would make it a totally different situation for them. I realize that McNeese laid eggs every time during the playoffs during the Matt Viator era. I think Viator did a great job at McNeese overall but but for whatever reason the playoff performances were really bad. He could do things like beat eventual semifinalist Appalachian State at Boone during the regular season but he couldn't beat ANYBODY in the playoffs. I would like to have seen the Cowboys get a shot in the playoffs under their new head coach.
Could I ever be a star?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
Well, we'll never know. But I'd feel pretty optimistic about USD not being able to run the ball against McNeese and I think them not being able to run the ball would make it a totally different situation for them. I realize that McNeese laid eggs every time during the playoffs during the Matt Viator era. I think Viator did a great job at McNeese overall but but for whatever reason the playoff performances were really bad. He could do things like beat eventual semifinalist Appalachian State at Boone during the regular season but he couldn't beat ANYBODY in the playoffs. I would like to have seen the Cowboys get a shot in the playoffs under their new head coach.
Toss up. Yes the schedule was weak but San Diego has won their last 9 games by an average margin of 33 points. They had the #18 passing offense and Anthony Lawrence has thrown for over 3,000 yards with 33 TD's and 2 ints. They're fairly balanced on offense. It would have been interesting to see them go up against your run D.

Speaking of weak schedules and padding stats, while San Diego played the #96 SoS McNeese played the 86th so not a huge difference and probably has something to do with the Toreros being ranked a number of spots higher in Massey than McNeese.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

kalm wrote:
Toss up. Yes the schedule was weak but San Diego has won their last 9 games by an average margin of 33 points. They had the #18 passing offense and Anthony Lawrence has thrown for over 3,000 yards with 33 TD's and 2 ints. They're fairly balanced on offense. It would have been interesting to see them go up against your run D.
I think the whole thing with McNeese this past year was avoiding giving up big plays in the passing game. Despite the weak schedule I think their run defense was legit and I also think their defense was legit in terms of stopping teams from being able to put long drives together. The problem was that they would stop, stop, stop then all of a sudden give up a long pass for a score.

Central Arkansas averaged 208 yards per game rushing at 4.6 yards per carry. They rushed for 223 at 4.1 yards per carry against Kansas State. They got 73 yards at 2.1 per carry against McNeese. They also were not able to put drives together. They only had 11 first downs. They had 323 total yards but almost half of that...157 yards...came on three long TD passes. Add a defensive scoop and score touchdown along with a special teams blocked punt score and Central Arkansas blew McNeese out with 47 points even though they really couldn't move the football on any consistent basis.

Nicholls State averaged 200 yards per game rushing at 4.6 yards per carry. They got 232 at 4.7 yards per carry against South Dakota last Saturday. They got 91 at 3.4 yards per carry against McNeese. Same kind of story as Central Arkansas. Nicholls State had only 14 first downs. They got 304 yards but nearly half of them, 139, came on two long TD passes. Add a 67 yard pick six and what should have been a relatively easy McNeese win turned into a Nicholls win on a last second field goal.

So if you were a McNeese fan and McNeese was in the playoffs you'd be thinking "Just don't give up the cheap scores and you should be in it."
Could I ever be a star?