Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 11-13

Post by JALMOND »

It all comes down to rivalry week. One more week to go in conference play and the Big Sky is still as wide open as ever. Ultimately, things will be decided on the field, who goes on and who goes home. Even when you don't have anything on paper to fight for, it is still good to beat your rival heading in to the offseason. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). Have at it.

1. Southern Utah (1)---Last week won at UC-Davis 47-27, this week Northern Arizona at home---The Thunderbirds came through on the road last week with a good win and now they get what a rivalry is good for, the winner gets at least a share of the conference title.

2. Weber State (2)---Last week won at Portland State 63-17, this week Idaho State at home---With the road win last week, the Wildcats have put themselves in position to get a share of the conference title with a win at home this weekend against their rivals.

3. Montana (4)---Last week beat Northern Colorado at home 44-14, this week at Montana State---Clearly, the Grizzlies have shook off their early season issues and are playing some of the best football currently in the conference. How does that stack up against their fierce instate rivals?

4. Northern Arizona (3)---Last week beat Montana State at home 37-36, this week at Southern Utah---It may not be a swoon but the Lumberjacks are clearly reeling, needing to come up with a 2-point stop to secure a home win. Still, they can clinch at least a share of the conference title with a win.

5. Eastern Washington (5)---Last week won at North Dakota 21-14, this week Portland State at home---After a couple suspensions to some key personnel, the Eagles averted a trap game on the road last week. They may have an easy time at home, but it is their rivals.

6. Sacramento State (6)---Last week won at Cal Poly 49-14, this week UC-Davis at home---It was supposed to be a classic trap game, but the Hornets came out and put last weekend's game away early. On to the Causeway Classic which is bigger now than what it seemed at the start of the year.

7. Montana State (8)---Last week lost at Northern Arizona 37-36, this week Montana at home---Relishing the spoiler, the Bobcats almost ruined Northern Arizona's season when a 2-point conversion went awry. They now can keep Montana home from the playoffs.

8. Idaho State (9)---Last week bye, this week at Weber State---The Bengals had an extra week off to prepare for a capper on a strong season this year. The ultimate prize would be getting a strong road win this weekend and keep their rival on the playoff bubble.

9. UC-Davis (7)---Last week lost to Southern Utah at home 47-27, this week at Sacramento State---The Aggies were flying along but then stubbed their toe at home last weekend. They can push aside their rival's slim playoff hopes with a win this weekend.

10. North Dakota (10)---Last week lost to Eastern Washington at home 21-14, this week bye---The Hawks finished their final official Big Sky season clearly not how they wanted, with so much hype heading in to the season. Not going anywhere except to the Missouri Valley.

11. Northern Colorado (11)---Last week lost at Montana 44-14, this week Cal Poly at home---The Bears had so much hope for this year, but have not been able to get it together. They finish the year playing what may be their easiest game all year, finally.

12. Cal Poly (12)---Last week lost to Sacramento State at home 49-14, this week at Northern Colorado---Whatever momentum the Mustangs might have had in earning their first win went away early on in their game last weekend. They would like a win this weekend.

13. Portland State (13)---Last week lost to Weber State at home 63-17, this week at Eastern Washington---The hapless Vikings turned punchless last weekend in folding in the second quarter. Whether they want to play or not, they will have to face their rivals this weekend.

RECAP: 1-2 out front, 3-5 just behind, 6-9 on the outside, 10-11 off the pace, 12 just behind, 13 lagging.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 11-13

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

The only thing I would change is flipping ISU & Davis.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 11-13

Post by SuperHornet »

I don't have very many qualms with this, though I WOULD put BBQ in the 1 spot.

Any bets on what happens if NAU beats SUU?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.