Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 10-23

Post by JALMOND »

As October draws to a close, one has to wonder if the Big Sky race is finally coming clear. Also, with the talk of playoffs starting to fill the air, one has to wonder how many Big Sky teams will get in the playoffs. Still a lot of action left in the season, with a bunch of good conference games left to play. Here are this week's power rankings (last week's rankings in parenthesis). Once again, all are just my opinion only. Should be some good discussion.

1. Northern Arizona (1)---Last week beat UC-Davis at home 45-31, this week Sacramento State at home---The Lumberjacks faced off against a strong conference upstart last week and, while many are waiting for the usual swoon, that was not apparent. They get another tough opponent this week.

2. Montana (3)---Last week bye, this week at Weber State---The Grizzlies seem to have righted the ship and have got past the growing pains of a freshman quarterback. Rested and ready, they hit the road for a strong contest against an always strong conference opponent.

3. Southern Utah (7)---Last week beat Eastern Washington at home 46-28, this week at Northern Colorado---In search of respect, the normally hot and cold Thunderbirds have been on fire lately, knocking down two conference heavyweights in the last two weeks. Could this week be a possible trap game?

4. Weber State (4)---Last week won at Cal Poly 17-3, this week Montana at home---The Wildcats were anxious for their strong leader to emerge from an injury and lead them to a win last week. Now they return home, but against an always pesky opponent, that causes trouble for the Wildcats every year.

5. Eastern Washington (2)---Last week lost at Southern Utah 46-28, this week bye---Flying high at one point, the Eagles came crashing down to the ground last week. Hoping to recapture some of the good feelings, they get a much needed rest this weekend and get ready for the home stretch.

6. Sacramento State (6)---Last week won at North Dakota 34-27, this week at Northern Arizona---A good showing on the road finally led to a well deserved conference road win for the Hornets. Still looking for some respect, they have to go back out on the road to enemy confines.

7. Montana State (5)---Last week won at Northern Colorado 27-24, this week Idaho State at home---Keeping their fans on the edge of their seats, the Bobcats eked out a conference road win in the last seconds to keep their slim playoff hopes alive. Hopefully, this weekend won't be as nervous.

8. Idaho State (10)---Last week beat Portland State at home 59-30, this week at Montana State---The Bengals came out strong and alive last week and got a good conference win. Keeping the good tidings going, they have to hit the road and play in a not so friendly atmosphere.

9. UC-Davis (8)---Last week lost at Northern Arizona 45-31, this week Cal Poly at home---The Aggies have been up and down this season and had a shot at knocking down a heavyweight but came up short. They come back home and, while all conference games are tough, this one should be a win.

10. North Dakota (9)---Last week lost to Sacramento State at home 34-27, this week at Portland State---The Hawks tried to make a strong comeback last week but the deficit was too great. Sadly, this was supposed to be a great year until the injuries hit. Their psyche should mend a bit this weekend.

11. Northern Colorado (11)---Last week lost to Montana State at home 27-24, this week Southern Utah at home---Hoping for respect and a glimmer of success this season, the Bears just could not get the win last weekend, just missing in the last few seconds. Can they recover in time for a home game against a good opponent?

12. Portland State (12)---Last week lost at Idaho State 59-30, this week North Dakota at home---The Vikings looked good in the first half last weekend. Then they could not get anything going in the second half and lost the game once again. They return home this weekend, still searching for a win.

13. Cal Poly (13)---Last week lost to Weber State at home 17-3, this weekend at UC-Davis---So much for the vaunted Mustang offense. In this conference, a defense holds an opponent to 17 points and most of the time, that is a win. Unfortunately, not so for the Mustangs. Now on the road.

RECAP: 1 moving ahead, 2-7 keeping pace, 8-10 holding steady, 11 on an island, 12-13 falling.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 10-23

Post by AZGrizFan »

Based simply on the EWU results, I'd have a hard time putting SUU below Montana at this point. Other than that, not much to argue with.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:Based simply on the EWU results, I'd have a hard time putting SUU below Montana at this point. Other than that, not much to argue with.
But then he refers to the Griz as pesky troublemakers for Weber. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Good list J...trying to figure out who Montana has beaten that garners them the 2 spot. :?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

I'd probably go:

NAU
SUU
EWU
UM
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote:I'd probably go:

NAU
SUU
EWU
UM
That's what I had in mind. :thumb:
Thundernuts
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southern Utah

Post by Thundernuts »

NAU
SUU
EWU
UM
+1 :thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

NAU
SUU
EWU
UM
then
WSU
Sac State

That would be my current ranking as well.

*For this week only :)
:thumb: