2017 FCS Playoff At Large Eligibility (Version 1)

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Re: 2017 FCS Playoff At Large Eligibility (Version 1)

Post by Grizalltheway »

93henfan wrote:
89Hen wrote:UNH, Furman, Monmouth... Are you kidding me?
All we had to do was beat Towson or Villanova.

Fuck us running.
I feel your pain brother. Although on the bright side, the cats at least completed 10 passes this year instead of just 2.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

EWU got screwed the hardest. Looking at the season-ending records, EWU beat everyone on their schedule they were supposed to and lost to everyone they were supposed to.

UNH got shutout by Albany 15-0 yesterday (who Delaware beat 22-3 the week before) and got beat 51-26 by Holy Cross. UNH is hanging its hat on its stunning "FBS" victory over 1-9 SunBelt powerhouse Georgia Southern. (Note to UD AD: schedule a little more SunBelt and a little less Virginia Tech)

UNH, with its AD on the selection committee, makes its 14th consecutive playoff appearance.

Nothing fishy there.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

bandl wrote:
89Hen wrote: AP is a feel good story. Take away the fact they lost so many games in the last coulple years and they're not in the conversation. No wins over ranked teams. No wins over teams in the field. Three payday games.
I was just stating what they said in the ESPNU selection show
Its pretty clear that they don't follow our subdivision. I'm talking about ESPN and the selection committee.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:UNH, with its AD on the selection committee, makes its 14th consecutive playoff appearance.

Nothing fishy there.
Yup, also Wofford guy running it and put in another SoCon team that didn't deserve to be in.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

This bracket is crap. Not only in terms of who's left out, but in terms of where the seeds/placements are.

And they let in a team with a losing record that didn't even get six wins?!? Either the bid should have gone to the next team or the league should have been shut out. This isn't basketball, for crying out loud.

I had JMU, NDSU, UCA, and BBQ as the four top seeds, with SUU coming in just after. And, yes, I'm bitter that they didn't pick Sac, particularly given that we won something like four of our last five games, three in a row, AND beat a 9-2 squad by a ton. Idiots!

MY bracket:

WIU at Sac State (Winner to #1 JMU)
C. Connecticut State at Elon (Winner to Jax State)

Delaware at Samford (Winner to #4 BBQ)
UNH at McNeese (Winner to SUU)

EWU at UNI (Winner to #2 NDSU)
Kennesaw State at SD State (Winner to Stony Brook)

San Diego at Nicholls State (Winner to #3 UCA)
Colgate at Sam Houston (Winner to Wofford)

Naturally, from there, I had Sac, Elon, Delaware, McNeese, EWU, SD State, Nicholls State, and Sam Houston winning in the first round, with Sac's Cinderella dreams ending right there: JMU, Jax State, Weber, SUU, NDSU, SD State, UCA, and Wofford would take my proposed second round, followed by JMU, BBQ, NDSU, and Wofford in the quarterfinals. Big upset in the semis: BBQ over JMU, and NDSU winning the nightcap. BBQ upsetting NDSU for the Chipper.

But that's my Big Sky homerism talking....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I'm not really surprised that Nicholls State made the tournament ahead of McNeese State but I honestly would NOT have thought that Monmouth, Furman, and Northern Arizona would've gotten in while McNeese did not.

I also think New Hampshire probably got too much credit for its FBS win. Georgia Southern is 1-9 and 1-5 in the Sun Belt.

Anyway, I said after McNeese State's opening game that losing a game they should have easily won at Nicholls State put them behind the 8 ball for the season because they had such a weak schedule. I did not anticipate it being a matter of it coming down to between them and Nicholls State for a playoff berth. But it was a "should win" game on the schedule and it was a "should win" game in terms of how the two teams matched up physically/athletically during the game. When a team dominates a game physically to the extent that McNeese dominated that Nicholls State game and STILL finds a way to lose the team has nobody but itself to blame.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JohnStOnge wrote:I'm not really surprised that Nicholls State made the tournament ahead of McNeese State but I honestly would NOT have thought that Monmouth, Furman, and Northern Arizona would've gotten in while McNeese did not.

I also think New Hampshire probably got too much credit for its FBS win. Georgia Southern is 1-9 and 1-5 in the Sun Belt.

Anyway, I said after McNeese State's opening game that losing a game they should have easily won at Nicholls State put them behind the 8 ball for the season because they had such a weak schedule. I did not anticipate it being a matter of it coming down to between them and Nicholls State for a playoff berth. But it was a "should win" game on the schedule and it was a "should win" game in terms of how the two teams matched up physically/athletically during the game. When a team dominates a game physically to the extent that McNeese dominated that Nicholls State game and STILL finds a way to lose the team has nobody but itself to blame.
McNeese, EWU, Delaware were all hosed by the Committee. Granted, none were going to get more than maybe an opening round win over a fortunate draw (like Lehigh for Delaware), but still.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-