Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 10-16

Post by JALMOND »

Just when things start making sense, something happens that throws everything in to a big flux again. Weber State, emerging as the strong lead dog, then falls flat on their noses at home. Halfway home and what do we really know about the Big Sky? Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). As usual, all are up for discussion as this is just my opinion only. Have at it.

1. Northern Arizona (2)---Last week won at Portland State 42-20, this week UC-Davis at home---One minute it looks like the Lumberjacks are struggling, the next minute the are totally in control, somehow marching towards another win. Somehow, they are just getting it done. Heading home this weekend.

2. Eastern Washington (3)---Last week beat Montana State at home 31-19, this week at Southern Utah---Sending shivers through the conference, the Eagles seem to have shaken off their early season rust and once again are soaring to new heights. Heading on the road this weekend to meet a quality opponent.

3. Montana (4)---Last week beat North Dakota at home 41-17, this week bye---The Grizzlies came thundering in to their home with an impressive win over reeling North Dakota. Feeling really good about themselves, this week they draw the short straw and will take this weekend off.

4. Weber State (1)---Last week lost to Southern Utah at home 32-16, this week at Cal Poly---The Wildcats were feeling pretty good about themselves, right up to when they lost their quarterback. Now, after taking one on the chin, they hit the road for what should be an easy one, unless they don't have their quarterback.

5. Montana State (5)---Last week lost at Eastern Washington 31-19, this week at Northern Colorado---The Bobcats woke up late and tried to make a game last weekend, but the deficit was too much to overcome. So close, but they are now looking at having to possibly win out for a shot at the playoffs.

6. Sacramento State (6)---Last week beat Idaho State at home 41-21, this week at North Dakota---The Hornets returned to winning by getting a strong win at home, and thus continue their surprising season. This week, they get their shot at struggling North Dakota.

7. Southern Utah (8)---Last week won at Weber State 32-16, this week Eastern Washington at home---The Thunderbirds are really quite unpredictable and may be the wrench that keeps getting thrown around here. They get another shot at dethroning a heavyweight this weekend at home.

8. UC-Davis (7)---Last week bye, this week at Northern Arizona---The Aggies took a much needed bye last weekend and now feel refreshed and eager to continue their surprising season this weekend. But they have to head out on the road and meet up with one of the conference's strong teams.

9. North Dakota (9)---Last week lost at Montana 41-17, this week Sacramento State at home---The Hawks were feeling good after a strong win, only to come crashing back down to earth last weekend. They head home this weekend and face one of the upstarts in the conference.

10. Idaho State (10)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 41-21, this week Portland State at home---The Bengals hope for a magical season took a big hit last week as they could not get a big win on the road. They return home this weekend against a relatively weaker opponent.

11. Northern Colorado (11)---Last week bye, this week Montana State at home---The Bears have got to be thinking that they are better than this, but the ball just hasn't gone their way. Taking last week off, they should be well rested and eager to take down one of the conference's better teams.

12. Portland State (12)---Last week lost to Northern Arizona at home 42-20, this week at Idaho State---There the Vikings were feeling really good about themselves and thinking they can get the upset, then the same old things started happening. They now go on the road, looking for their first win.

13. Cal Poly (13)---Last week bye, this week Weber State at home---The saving grace for the Mustangs was that they were able to take last week off and get refocused on the season. However, they get a wounded but strong conference foe coming in to town this weekend.

RECAP: 1-4 bunched up at the top, 5 on an island, 6-8 gaining, 9-11 losing ground, 12-13 falling.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 10-16

Post by AZGrizFan »

I'd rank 'em like this:

EWU - hitting their stride, for sure
NAU - dangerous, and avoid EWU this year
UM - trending up...need a "quality win"
Weber (sinking fast if they don't get their QB back)
SUU - are they as good as they looked against Weebs?
MSU - racking up the quality losses
Sac - dark horse for a playoff spot- only one "tough" game left
UCD - Jekyl & Hyde
ISU - lost their super bowl to UM...all downhill from here
UND - just sad, really
UNC - don't think the Griz will struggle with them this year
PSU - can't get out of their own way
CP - Probably the biggest shocker this year...winless
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

I'd put EWU first still.
:thumb:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

dbackjon wrote:I'd put EWU first still.
How un-homerish of you. ;)
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Grizalltheway wrote:
dbackjon wrote:I'd put EWU first still.
How un-homerish of you. ;)

While NAU is on a 4-game winning streak, winning by at least 18 in every game, two of the teams they beat are winless, and only one has a winning record. Waiting to see how NAU does on the back half, which should be more challenging.
:thumb:
Thundernuts
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southern Utah

Post by Thundernuts »

AZGrizFan wrote:I'd rank 'em like this:

UCD - Jekyl & Hyde
UND - just sad, really
I think this is pretty close, SUU is hard to place, They got smacked by Oregon, but stomped SFA, they've beaten Northern Iowa and Weber- both ranked at the time, but lost to Sac. I think every team gets one off game (not counting Oregon) but since they've now taken out 2 ranked teams I think they still belong in the top 5. Can't wait to see what happens this week against EWU.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Thundernuts wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:I'd rank 'em like this:

UCD - Jekyl & Hyde
UND - just sad, really
I think this is pretty close, SUU is hard to place, They got smacked by Oregon, but stomped SFA, they've beaten Northern Iowa and Weber- both ranked at the time, but lost to Sac. I think every team gets one off game (not counting Oregon) but since they've now taken out 2 ranked teams I think they still belong in the top 5. Can't wait to see what happens this week against EWU.
In theory, given the on-field performance last weekend, probably should have swapped Weber & SUU.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Thundernuts wrote:
In theory, given the on-field performance last weekend, probably should have swapped Weber & SUU.
We do have a triangle going on. Weber beat Sac, who beat SUU, who beat Weber. Maybe I should have dropped MSU and kept the three together.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JALMOND wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
We do have a triangle going on. Weber beat Sac, who beat SUU, who beat Weber. Maybe I should have dropped MSU and kept the three together.
Yep...in hindsight that's probably what I'd do as well...
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote:
JALMOND wrote:
Yep...in hindsight that's probably what I'd do as well...
:lol: :clap:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JALMOND wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
SUU has the same amount of losses, 2nd highest SoS, and better wins than all the teams above them. I would say their Sac loss, with Tyler out for that game, is no worse than EWU's NDSU loss or NAU's WIU loss. And they have two less losses than the Cats.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

kalm wrote:
JALMOND wrote:
SUU has the same amount of losses, 2nd highest SoS, and better wins than all the teams above them. I would say their Sac loss, with Tyler out for that game, is no worse than EWU's NDSU loss or NAU's WIU loss. And they have two less losses than the Cats.
OK, that's officially the most ridiculous thing I've read this season. :?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
kalm wrote:
You should read more.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

kalm wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
You should read more.
:lol: Touché

Seriously, though, Patrick Tyler isn't anywhere near that good.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
kalm wrote:
You should read more.

:mrgreen:

The SUU offense certainly didn't give up 300 + to the hornets in the ground, I'll grant you that, but trust me, our loss to NDSU was absolutely brutal.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
kalm wrote:
You should read more.

Yeah, Hornets rolled SUU by 27 points. He doesn't swing that game anywhere near that margin.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

EWU
UM
NAU
BBQ
Sac
SUU
MSU
Manure Pile
PSU
UNC
Sioux
ISU
CP

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.