Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Weber to honor 1987 team during Oct 28th game

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

https://weberstatesports.com/news/2017/ ... er-28.aspx

OGDEN - Weber State football will turn the clock back 30 years to honor the 1987 Wildcat football team. The '87 squad will be recognized as the first Weber State team to advance to the FCS Playoffs and will be honored during Weber State's home game on Oct. 28 against Montana.

Members of the 1987 team and coaching staff will be recognized and honored at halftime of the Oct. 28 game.

The 1987 team posted a 10-3 overall record and tied for first in the Big Sky at 7-1. The team was the first Weber State team to win 10 games in a season and was the first Weber State team to advance to the FCS Playoffs. The team also was ranked as high as seventh in the during the season.

After a 7-1 record in conference play, the Wildcats were selected for the then-Division I-AA Playoffs and were sent to take on Big Sky rival Idaho in Moscow. Weber State team the Vandals 59-30 in the first round before falling at Marshall in the second round.

The 1987 coaching staff was led by head coach Mike Price. Dave Arslanian was the offensive coordinator with Mike Zimmer, the current head coach of the Minnesota Vikings, as the defensive coordinator. Other coaches on the staff included Larry Lewis, Lawrence Livingston, current Louisville head coach Bob Petrino and Jim Zeches.

Price was named Big Sky Coach of the Year that season. Hall of Fame running back Fine Unga, senior linebacker Robb Akey and senior linebacker Vernell Quinn all earned First Team All-Big Sky honors. The team also included Hall of Fame quarterback Jeff Carlson.
Interesting facts,
1. 1987 was the last time before the 2015 season, that Weber beat the Montana Grizzlies in Missoula Montana.
2. Weber State's opponent in the game will be the Montana Grizzlies
3. 1987 was the year I was born and the game will take place two days after my birthday. :D
4. Weber State will also dawn the old "Flying W" Helmets for the game. (The logo on the top right)

This will be the first time Weber State will have done something like this, I think it is really cool and wish they would more often.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Re: Weber to honor 1987 team during Oct 28th game

Post by Grizalltheway »

Sounds nice. It's going to be a shame when the Griz rain on your parade. ;)
Thundernuts
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southern Utah

Post by Thundernuts »

this was just a little before the Jamie Martin days right?
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Thundernuts wrote:this was just a little before the Jamie Martin days right?

Yup Jamie Martin played for Weber from 89 to 92
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Grizalltheway wrote:Sounds nice. It's going to be a shame when the Griz rain on your parade. ;)
I'm just hoping for another monsoon or blizzard. That'll help us out :thumb:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Will Mike Price's love of booze & strippers be honored, too? :?:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:Will Mike Price's love of booze & strippers be honored, too? :?:
First 1,000 fans get $20 in drink coupons to use at Club Wet.
:thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:Will Mike Price's love of booze & strippers be honored, too? :?:
Roll baby roll!

(I honestly think he got set up in that thing. By all accounts he's a good dude and 'Bama football is nuts)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:https://weberstatesports.com/news/2017/ ... er-28.aspx

OGDEN - Weber State football will turn the clock back 30 years to honor the 1987 Wildcat football team. The '87 squad will be recognized as the first Weber State team to advance to the FCS Playoffs and will be honored during Weber State's home game on Oct. 28 against Montana.

Members of the 1987 team and coaching staff will be recognized and honored at halftime of the Oct. 28 game.

The 1987 team posted a 10-3 overall record and tied for first in the Big Sky at 7-1. The team was the first Weber State team to win 10 games in a season and was the first Weber State team to advance to the FCS Playoffs. The team also was ranked as high as seventh in the during the season.

After a 7-1 record in conference play, the Wildcats were selected for the then-Division I-AA Playoffs and were sent to take on Big Sky rival Idaho in Moscow. Weber State team the Vandals 59-30 in the first round before falling at Marshall in the second round.

The 1987 coaching staff was led by head coach Mike Price. Dave Arslanian was the offensive coordinator with Mike Zimmer, the current head coach of the Minnesota Vikings, as the defensive coordinator. Other coaches on the staff included Larry Lewis, Lawrence Livingston, current Louisville head coach Bob Petrino and Jim Zeches.

Price was named Big Sky Coach of the Year that season. Hall of Fame running back Fine Unga, senior linebacker Robb Akey and senior linebacker Vernell Quinn all earned First Team All-Big Sky honors. The team also included Hall of Fame quarterback Jeff Carlson.
Interesting facts,
1. 1987 was the last time before the 2015 season, that Weber beat the Montana Grizzlies in Missoula Montana.
2. Weber State's opponent in the game will be the Montana Grizzlies
3. 1987 was the year I was born and the game will take place two days after my birthday. :D
4. Weber State will also dawn the old "Flying W" Helmets for the game. (The logo on the top right)

This will be the first time Weber State will have done something like this, I think it is really cool and wish they would more often.
Very cool stuff, Ryan and some great names from that team and staff!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I miss seeing those Flying W helmets.

And I DO believe that BBQ will defend the turf on this day....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

GrizFanStuckInUtah
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by GrizFanStuckInUtah »

I will be at this game. If anyone is going to be there, let me know and I will count you in for some food and drinks. :thumb: (I should be there at least 2 hours before the game.)
-Go Griz!
-Class of '97
-Thank you to all our Veterans. :bow:
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

GrizFanStuckInUtah wrote:I will be at this game. If anyone is going to be there, let me know and I will count you in for some food and drinks. :thumb: (I should be there at least 2 hours before the game.)

I'll be there for sure