Week 5 - Conference by Conference Breakdown

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Mvemjsunpx
Level4
Level4
Posts: 8718
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Week 5 - Conference by Conference Breakdown

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:41 am

Big Sky

SAC 31-52 EWU
UMT 45-33 PORTST
UND 24-48 UCD
CP 34-38 IDST
NOCO 20-48 NAU
WEB 25-17 MTST


    NConf Record: 0-0
    Overall: 12-21

    vs. FCS: 0-0
    Overall: 8-6


    Best Performance: (#20) Weber St. 25, Montana St. 17 - Trey Tuttle goes 4/4 on field goals to help the Wildcats dominate MSU on special teams.

    Worst Performance: North Dakota 24, UC Davis 48 - The decimated Fighting Hawk defense allows Jake Maier to go 33/38 for 415 yards and 4 touchdowns.

    Most Surprising Result: Northern Colorado 20, Northern Arizona 48 - After averaging a gaudy 10.5 yards-per-play against Idaho State, the Bears average just 4.5 ypp in the Walkup Skydome.


Southland

MCNSE 35-0 SFA
NICH 41-14 LAM
ACU 45-20 UIW
SHSU 30-41 UCA
SELU 49-20 NWST


    NConf Record: 0-0
    Overall: 8-14

    vs. FCS: 0-0
    Overall: 6-4


    Best Performance: (#11) Central Arkansas 41, (#3) Sam Houston St. 30 - The Bear defense stymies Jeremiah Briscoe by getting 2 interceptions and 11 pass breakups.

    Worst Performance: Incarnate Word 20, Abilene Christian 45 - UIW falls to 1-3 against ACU since they both joined the Southland—all 3 losses were by at least 3 touchdowns.

    Most Surprising Result: Northwestern St. 20, Southeastern Louisiana 49 - The Demons did finally end their losing streak last week, but they're still nowhere near turning a corner.


Missouri Valley

MIZST 11-38 NDSU
INST 13-24 ILST
SDK 38-33 WIU
UNI 24-17 SIU
SDKST 7-19 YSU


    NConf Record: 0-0
    Overall: 20-9

    vs. FCS: 0-0
    Overall: 18-3


    Best Performance: (#10) South Dakota 38, (#13) Western Illinois 33 - Sure, the Coyotes almost blew a 32-point lead, but a playoff-caliber win is still a playoff-caliber win.

    Worst Performance: Missouri St. 11, (#2) North Dakota St. 38 - Not an awful loss, but the Bears were the only Missouri Valley team to get handled this week.

    Most Surprising Result: (#6) Youngstown St. 19, (#4) South Dakota St. 7 - It's not surprising that the Penguins won, but dominating time-of-possession by better than a 3:1 margin is still pretty damn impressive.


OVC

EKU 10-29 SEMO
MUR 10-55 UL
EIU 19-16 TSU (2OT)
JAXST 34-7 TTU
UTM 0-7 AP


    NConf Record: 0-1
    Overall: 10-17

    vs. FCS: 0-0
    Overall: 6-7


    Best Performance: Austin Peay 7, (#18) Tennessee-Martin 0 - After allowing 47 points-per-game last season, the Governors are giving up 15.4 ppg this year (& just 6.7 ppg against FCS competition).

    Worst Performance: Eastern Kentucky 10, Southeast Missouri St. 29 - The Colonels are outrushed 299-11 and lose to SEMO for the first time since 2010.

    Most Surprising Result: (#18) Tennessee-Martin 0, Austin Peay 7 - The Skyhawks lose to Austin Peay for the first time since 2007.


Pioneer League

BUT 17-38 USD
VALPO 13-38 DRAKE
JU 44-37 MARIST
CAMP 49-21 STET
DAY 28-34 MHEAD


    NConf Record: 0-0
    Overall: 12-18

    vs. FCS: 0-0
    Overall: 2-17


    Best Performance: San Diego 23, Dayton 7 - The Toreros take advantage of Dayton's QB woes and become clear favorites to repeat as PFL champs.

    Worst Performance: Morehead St. 0, Campbell 38 - Eagles lose rushing 460-35 in an embarrassing defeat.

    Most Surprising Result: Morehead St. 0, Campbell 38 - The Eagles did somehow beat Dayton, but they've been outscored 165-30 in their other 3 FCS-ish games.




Tomorrow: the rest of the playoff conferences.
Last edited by Mvemjsunpx on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17687
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: North Dakota State
Location: South of Gitche Gumee

Re: Week 5 - Conference by Conference Breakdown

Postby Gil Dobie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:35 am

Missouri St actually beat the Bison at their own game, TOP. Short field and turnovers helped get the Bison on the scoreboard without taking a lot of time.
ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
Posts: 13870
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 pm
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Week 5 - Conference by Conference Breakdown

Postby JohnStOnge » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:39 pm

Probably won't happen but McNeese losing a game it physically dominated against Nicholls State to open the season along with Central Arkansas beating Sam Houston State combined with who doesn't play who create a situation where it would be possible to have a four way tie for first place in the Southland. That would happen if Nicholls State, Sam Houston State, and McNeese State win out while Central Arkansas loses only to McNeese State. McNeese State doesn't play Sam Houston State and Nicholls State doesn't play Central Arkansas.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star

Deep Purple: No One Came
Image

Mvemjsunpx
Level4
Level4
Posts: 8718
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Week 5 - Conference by Conference Breakdown

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:16 pm

Gil Dobie wrote:Missouri St actually beat the Bison at their own game, TOP. Short field and turnovers helped get the Bison on the scoreboard without taking a lot of time.


TOP & number of plays are stats that don't generally mean much in lopsided games for that very reason.

Mvemjsunpx
Level4
Level4
Posts: 8718
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Week 5 - Conference by Conference Breakdown

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:45 am

Patriot League

LEH 20-37 WAG
MONM 35-13 BUCK
COLG 21-7 COR
YALE 41-10 FORD
LAF 10-7 HC
HARV 41-2 GTOWN


    NConf Record: 1-4
    Overall: 7-23

    vs. FCS: 1-4
    Overall: 7-20


    Best Performance: Lafayette 10, Holy Cross 7 - The offense was still pretty lousy, but the Leopard defense did hold Peter Pujals to just 191 yards passing on 47 attempts.

    Worst Performance: Georgetown 2, Harvard 41 - The Hoya offense is so bad that it's up to their defense to prevent shutouts.

    Most Surprising Result: Holy Cross 7, Lafayette 10 - I'm not sure what's sadder: that Holy Cross has followed a blowout of New Hampshire with losses to Dartmouth & Lafayette, or that they still have the best resume in the Patriot League despite those losses


NEC

SFPA 13-7 LIB
wvwc 13-38 DUQ
LEH 20-37 WAG
BRY 17-45 UNH
CCSU 26-15 SACHRT


    NConf Record: 3-1
    Overall: 14-14

    vs. FCS: 1-1
    Overall: 8-12


    Best Performance: St. Francis (PA) 13, (FBS) Liberty 7 - The Red Flash defense has allowed just 2 touchdowns in 4 games.

    Worst Performance: Sacred Heart 15, Central Connecticut St. 26 - Kevin Duke gives CCSU 3 picks as the Pioneers lose their 3rd. straight.

    Most Surprising Result: Central Connecticut St. 26, Sacred Heart 15 - The Blue Devils are 2-13 in their last 15 DI games; both wins came against Sacred Heart.


CAA

BRY 17-45 UNH
URI 21-24 BROWN
JMU 20-10 UD
NOVA 24-9 TOW
SBU 21-18 W&M
ALB 0-6 ELON


    NConf Record: 1-1
    Overall: 22-11

    vs. FCS: 1-1
    Overall: 20-3


    Best Performance: (#23) Elon 6, (#19) Albany 0 - The Phoenix scored just 6 points in 4 redzone trips, but that still beats Albany's 0 redzone trips and 4 turnovers.

    Worst Performance: Rhode Island 21, Brown 24 - The one time you'd really expect Rhody to beat Brown, they don't.

    Most Surprising Result: (#23) Elon 6, (#19) Albany 0 - I'm not surprised Elon won, but what was with all the showdown games with zero offense this past week? :?


Big South

MONM 35-13 BUCK
MVSU 7-58 CHSO
WOFF 31-7 PRESBY
ngu 34-38 KENN


    NConf Record: 3-1
    Overall: 11-10

    vs. FCS: 2-1
    Overall: 8-8


    Best Performance: Monmouth 35, Bucknell 13 - The Hawks win rushing 289-47 and register 11 tackles-for-loss.

    Worst Performance: Presbyterian 7, (#7) Wofford 31 - The Blue Hose have been outscored 130-21 by scholarship DI programs this season.

    Most Surprising Result: Kennesaw St. 38, (DII) North Greenville 34 - The Owls need a TD with 16 seconds left to beat a (pretty good) DII.


SoCon

ETSU 35-56 FUR
WOFF 31-7 PRESBY
VMI 14-49 MER
CIT 14-35 SAM
WCU 45-7 UTC


    NConf Record: 1-0
    Overall: 11-12

    vs. FCS: 1-0
    Overall: 8-5


    Best Performance: (#25) Samford 35, (#8) The Citadel 14 - Samford didn't score after the first 20 minutes, but they obviously didn't need to.

    Worst Performance: VMI 14, Mercer 49 - It's looking like VMI's bye week is the only one where the Keydets won't get Worst Performance.

    Most Surprising Result: Tennessee-Chattanooga 7, Western Carolina 45 - With Alejandro Bennifield back at QB, there was reason for optimism in Chattanooga. Unfortunately for the Mocs, he got hurt & everything fell apart.


Tomorrow: Non-Playoff Folks…
Last edited by Mvemjsunpx on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gil Dobie
Level5
Level5
Posts: 17687
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm
I am a fan of: North Dakota State
Location: South of Gitche Gumee

Re: Week 5 - Conference by Conference Breakdown

Postby Gil Dobie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:45 am

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:Missouri St actually beat the Bison at their own game, TOP. Short field and turnovers helped get the Bison on the scoreboard without taking a lot of time.


TOP & number of plays are stats that don't generally mean much in lopsided games for that very reason.


TOP is one of the main reasons why NDSU has won so many games. Missouri St put up a good battle in the first half and kept getting 1st downs with QB runs. It was only 17-5 at the half. Then you look at Youngstown TOP against SDSU, 45:14 to 14:46 minutes. Jackrabbit defense couldn't stop the Penguins drives.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mvemjsunpx
Level4
Level4
Posts: 8718
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:44 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Week 5 - Conference by Conference Breakdown

Postby Mvemjsunpx » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:31 am

Ivy League

DART 16-13 PENN
COLG 21-7 COR
HARV 41-2 GTOWN
URI 21-24 BROWN
YALE 41-10 FORD
COLUM 28-24 PRINCE


    NConf Record: 3-1
    Overall: 13-3

    vs. FCS: 3-1
    Overall: 12-3


    Best Performance: Dartmouth 16, Penn 13 - After surviving an opponent's game-ending gamble last week, the Big Green win another gambit by scoring a 1-yard touchdown as time expires.

    Worst Performance: Cornell 7, Colgate 21 - The Big Red doesn't even make Colgate beat them as they throw 4 interceptions and go 0/3 on fourth down.

    Most Surprising Result: Columbia 28, Princeton 24 - Ronald Smith catches 10 passes for 236 yards and 2 touchdowns, one of those being a 63-yarder with 1:12 remaining.


MEAC

NCAT 21-7 SCSU
NCCEN 21-14 FAMU
SAV 12-24 BCU


    NConf Record: 0-0
    Overall: 9-20

    vs. FCS: 0-0
    Overall: 3-10


    Best Performance: (#17) North Carolina A&T 21, South Carolina St. 7 - The Aggies win 3 straight over SCSU for the first time since 1998-2000.

    Worst Performance: Savannah St. 12, Bethune-Cookman 24 - It's still the worst loss in the MEAC this week, but it is refreshing to see the Tigers playing conference opponents tough the last couple years.

    Most Surprising Result: (none)


SWAC

ALCORN 24-17 TXSO
JSU 9-38 PVAMU
cau 20-31 GRAM (in Chicago, IL)
fvsu 14-31 SU
UAPB 14-27 AAMU
MVSU 7-58 CHSO


    NConf Record: 2-1
    Overall: 6-22

    vs. FCS: 0-1
    Overall: 2-10


    Best Performance: Prairie View A&M 38, Jackson St. 9 - The Panthers hold multiple opponents to single-digits for the first time since 2009.

    Worst Performance: Jackson St. 9, Prairie View A&M 38 - The Tigers lose their 4th. straight to Prairie View—they only lost twice in the previous 35 meetings.

    Most Surprising Result: (#21) Grambling 31, (DII) Clark Atlanta 20 - The neutral observers in Chicago actually got a moderately competitive game when it really wasn't supposed to be.

User avatar
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
Posts: 12642
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:59 am
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU
Location: Philly Burbs

Re: Week 5 - Conference by Conference Breakdown

Postby BDKJMU » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:07 am

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
CAA


BRY 17-45 UNH
URI 21-24 BROWN
JMU 20-10 UD
NOVA 24-9 TOW
SBU 21-18 W&M
ALB 0-6 ELON

    NConf Record: 1-1
    Overall: 22-11

    vs. FCS: 1-1
    Overall: 20-3


    Best Performance: (#23) Elon 6, (#19) Albany 0 - The Phoenix scored just 6 points in 4 redzone trips, but that still beats Albany's 0 redzone trips and 4 turnovers.

    Worst Performance: Rhode Island 21, Brown 24 - The one time you'd really expect Rhody to beat Brown, they don't.

    Most Surprising Result: (#23) Elon 6, (#19) Albany 0 - I'm not surprised Elon won, but what was with all the showdown games with zero offense this past week? :?


JMU @ UD game- I pretty much summed up below (and the JMU offense only scored 13 on UD (1 TD, 2 for 3 on FG)). Also got a defensive TD on a scoop and score off a drooped UD backward pass.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48180&start=25#p1149303

Albany @ Elon:
Albany was (and still is I believe) without pre season All American RB Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks (missed 1st 2 games, played next 2 (not 100%), out last week) trying to recover from major knee injury suffered last game of last season). Their offense isn't very good without him, and they turned the ball over 4 times.
Elon offense vs Albany defense: Summers did rush for 171, and Elon did have 4 trips in the Albany red zone. But that is where the Elon offense sputtered against Albany, the #2 Total and Scoring Defense in the CAA right now. Those 4 red zone trips Elon got 2 FG, 1 fumble, and 1 turnover on downs. .

Nova @ TU: While VU did put up 24, VU's starting QB Zach Bednarczyk went down to injury in the 1st half, and the rFr backoff was terrible passing (5-15, 0 TD, 3 INT). On the flip side Towson's offense is weak & VU has a very good defense.

SBU @ W&M Neither are very good offenses (esp W&M), and both have good defenses (esp SBU).

I think in the CAA right now there's only 3-4 good offenses, but a 1/2 doz good defenses. JMU is the only one right now in both..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Houston: Made JMU Football Great Again
Proud member of the Deplorables..

dal4018
Level4
Level4
Posts: 7813
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: Week 5 - Conference by Conference Breakdown

Postby dal4018 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Mvemjsunpx wrote:Ivy League

DART 16-13 PENN
COLG 21-7 COR
HARV 41-2 GTOWN
URI 21-24 BROWN
YALE 41-10 FORD
COLUM 28-24 PRINCE


    NConf Record: 3-1
    Overall: 13-3

    vs. FCS: 3-1
    Overall: 12-3


    Best Performance: Dartmouth 16, Penn 13 - After surviving an opponent's game-ending gamble last week, the Big Green win another gambit by scoring a 1-yard touchdown as time expires.

    Worst Performance: Cornell 7, Colgate 21 - The Big Red doesn't even make Colgate beat them as they throw 4 interceptions and go 0/3 on fourth down.

    Most Surprising Result: Columbia 28, Princeton 24 - Ronald Smith catches 10 passes for 236 yards and 2 touchdowns, one of those being a 63-yarder with 1:12 remaining.


MEAC

NCAT 21-7 SCSU
NCCEN 21-14 FAMU
SAV 12-24 BCU


    NConf Record: 0-0
    Overall: 9-20

    vs. FCS: 0-0
    Overall: 3-10


    Best Performance: (#17) North Carolina A&T 21, South Carolina St. 7 - The Aggies win 3 straight over SCSU for the first time since 1998-2000.

    Worst Performance: Savannah St. 12, Bethune-Cookman 24 - It's still the worst loss in the MEAC this week, but it is refreshing to see the Tigers playing conference opponents tough the last couple years.

    Most Surprising Result: (none)


SWAC

ALCORN 24-17 TXSO
JSU 9-38 PVAMU
cau 20-31 GRAM (in Chicago, IL)
fvsu 14-31 SU
UAPB 14-27 AAMU
MVSU 7-58 CHSO


    NConf Record: 2-1
    Overall: 6-22

    vs. FCS: 0-1
    Overall: 2-10


    Best Performance: Prairie View A&M 38, Jackson St. 9 - The Panthers hold multiple opponents to single-digits for the first time since 2009.

    Worst Performance: Jackson St. 9, Prairie View A&M 38 - The Tigers lose their 4th. straight to Prairie View—they only lost twice in the previous 35 meetings.

    Most Surprising Result: (#21) Grambling 31, (DII) Clark Atlanta 20 - The neutral observers in Chicago actually got a moderately competitive game when it really wasn't supposed to be.
Looks like it will be another battle for the MEAC title between Durham&Greensboro.What is wrong with JSU I think they need to give some playing time to the young gun QB Jeff Toney the 6-6 230 flamethrower they just recruited.


Return to “Championship Subdivision Football - FCS”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Mvemjsunpx and 68 guests