Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sjy Power Rankings 9-11

Post by JALMOND »

Is the what parity is? Makes for a pretty messed up rankings in the conference. While there are some that seemingly have come from nowhere (Sac State, Davis), there are others that seem to want to get by on reputation (EWU, Montana). The only team that has not lost yet is Northern Colorado, and that was because their game was cancelled. Maybe I just should get the dartboard out for these. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). Oh, my.

1. North Dakota (1)---Last week beat Missouri State (Mo Valley) at home 34-0, this week at South Dakota (Mo Valley)---The Hawks defense rose up and shut out an offense that put a lot of points up on a shaky SEC defense. Maybe not quite complete but close enough in the conference.

2. Weber State (3)---Last week lost at California (Pac-12) 33-20, this week at Sacramento State---The Wildcats gave everything they had hoping to get a big win over the Pac-12 until they finally ran out of gas in the 4th quarter. They get a non-conference conference game this week.

3. Portland State (5)---Last week bye, this week UC-Davis at home---The Vikings relished in two impressive FBS games before taking a much needed break last week. They jump back in to the swing of things this week with a non-conference game against a conference opponent.

4. Southern Utah (9)---Last week won at Stephen F Austin (Southland) 51-14, this week Northern Iowa (Mo Valley) at home---The Thunderbirds rebounded nicely after a throttling the week before at Oregon. They can play decent against the FCS, but they have a strong program coming this week.

5. Northern Arizona (2)---Last week lost to Western Illinois (Mo Valley) at home 38-20, this week bye---The Lumberjacks should not have been having this much trouble to start the season, and now injuries seem to be taking their toll. Maybe a good time for a week off to regroup.

6. Montana State (6)---Last week lost to South Dakota State (Mo Valley) at home 31-27, this week bye---The Bobcats gave their all last week in the face of a tough opponent from a tough conference, only to come out on the short end. They now get a week off to recover.

7. Montana (7)---Last week lost at Washington (Pac-12) 63-7, this week Savannah State (MEAC) at home---The Grizzlies did not look so well last week but that probably had more to do with facing the #7 FBS team in the country, who could make anyone look inept. They need a good showing this week.

8. Eastern Washington (4)---Last week lost to North Dakota State (Mo Valley) at home 40-13, this week at Fordham (Patriot)---A game that the wheels totally fell off for the Eagles. The first two games have them looking really ordinary. They need to get out of this funk, but a trip across the country may not be great.

9. Cal Poly (8)---Last week, lost at Northern Iowa (Mo Valley) 45-38 in overtime, this week bye---The Mustangs rallied late in the game for tie and sent it in to overtime only to give up a score and fall by the wayside. Still a good showing after two rather paltry efforts. They have the bye this week to reenergize.

10. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week game cancelled at Florida (SEC), this week at Colorado (Pac-12)---The Bears had an impromptu week off last week as the hurricane roared into Florida. As a result they are the only team undefeated in the conference. They put that on the line this weekend.

11. Sacramento State (11)---Last week beat Incarnate Word (Southland) at home 56-22, this week Weber State at home---The Hornets entertained an easy win last week as the game was not as close as the score would indicate. A little stiffer competition from a conference foe this weekend in non-conference action.

12. UC-Davis (12)---Last week beat San Diego (Pioneer) at home 35-7, this week at Portland State---The Aggies gave their coach his first UC-Davis win by handling a non-scholly team from the Pioneer. This week, they play someone from outside of San Diego for the first time.

13. Idaho State (13)---Last week lost at Utah State (Mountain West) 51-13, this week at Nevada (Mountain West)---A hapless FBS team beating a hapless FCS team. And the Bengals went down badly. This week they have more of the same as they stay in the Mountain West.

RECAP: 1 with 2-4 just behind, 5-12 in a big pack behind them, 13 eating dust.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Re: Big Sjy Power Rankings 9-11

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

Here are the rankings I posted on bobcatnation a few days ago, they aren't a whole lot different than yours. I may have UNC a little low, but with wins over San Diego and Incarnate Word, both of which are better than College of Idaho I had to give Sac and Davis the nods. Cal Poly and NAU may be a little low as well, but neither has really shown me anything despite both being really talented.

1. North Dakota
2. Weber State
3. Portland State
4. Montana State
5. Southern Utah
6. Montana
7. Eastern Washington
8. Northern Arizona
9. Cal Poly
10. UC Davis
11. Sacramento State
12. Northern Colorado
13. Idaho State
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

1. Normally, I can't see dropping a school (NAU) THAT far for losing to a ranked OOC opponent. (On the other hand, I wouldn't have had NAU that high to begin with.) But if they're having an injury problem (not to mention the stupid idea of axing the coach NOW), yeah, I could see that.

2. Sac and the Manure Pile both win huge against FCSINOs (well, in the case of U of San Dog, that might be stretching a point just a tad) and don't move up, even a little bit? Surely one can bump them over a perennial bottom-feeder that didn't even bother to play.

3. What happened to Idalol? I thought they were joining us this year....

4. How does one justify dropping EWU FOUR spots for losing to the #1 team in the land?

5. And I STILL can't see any justification for placing the Sioux at the top. I could EASILY see BBQ and PSU tied for #1 here....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

SuperHornet wrote:1. Normally, I can't see dropping a school (NAU) THAT far for losing to a ranked OOC opponent. (On the other hand, I wouldn't have had NAU that high to begin with.) But if they're having an injury problem (not to mention the stupid idea of axing the coach NOW), yeah, I could see that.

2. Sac and the Manure Pile both win huge against FCSINOs (well, in the case of U of San Dog, that might be stretching a point just a tad) and don't move up, even a little bit? Surely one can bump them over a perennial bottom-feeder that didn't even bother to play.

3. What happened to Idalol? I thought they were joining us this year....

4. How does one justify dropping EWU FOUR spots for losing to the #1 team in the land?

5. And I STILL can't see any justification for placing the Sioux at the top. I could EASILY see BBQ and PSU tied for #1 here....
1. Top teams in the Big Sky should be able to hang tough with other top teams, especially at home.
2. I was thinking about it, but kept them the same. Hornets and Aggies did what Big Sky teams should have done. That said, if both can play that way this weekend, the Causeway has a good chance at going 2-0.
3. Linehan has to graduate first.
4. Top teams in the Big Sky should be able to hang tough with other top teams, especially at home.
5. Hawks have a win over the FCS. Lillard U has a win over the NAIA and Viks have, ummm, no wins.