…That Was Unexpected

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

…That Was Unexpected

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

It's still unclear whether this is now or end-of-season.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Re: …That Was Unexpected

Post by Grizalltheway »

Don't know why they would announce it now if it wasn't effective until the end of the season.

Either way at least he got the Griz monkey off his back before it happened.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Grizalltheway wrote:Don't know why they would announce it now if it wasn't effective until the end of the season.

Either way at least he got the Griz monkey off his back before it happened.
I can't imagine this is just on-the-field related if he was fired after 2 games. It's not like their season was hopeless.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

It sounds like NAU fired Souers after two games, but they're having him coach the rest of the season. How bush league is that? They were expected to be a playoff contender. What if they make the playoffs? What if they make a deep playoff run? Do they still fire him? Or do they change their minds? And, if they do change their minds, does Souers tell them to fuck off?

I don't think Souers is really on board with all of this…
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:It sounds like NAU fired Souers after two games, but they're having him coach the rest of the season. How bush league is that? They were expected to be a playoff contender. What if they make the playoffs? What if they make a deep playoff run? Do they still fire him? Or do they change their minds? And, if they do change their minds, does Souers tell them to **** off?

Souers contract runs through the 2017 season. If they fire him during the season, they still have to pay him for the season. Here's the article from back when he signed it.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... act-011314

It says 2018, but the contract actually expires 1-31-18.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:It sounds like NAU fired Souers after two games, but they're having him coach the rest of the season. How bush league is that? They were expected to be a playoff contender. What if they make the playoffs? What if they make a deep playoff run? Do they still fire him? Or do they change their minds? And, if they do change their minds, does Souers tell them to **** off?

Souers contract runs through the 2017 season. If they fire him during the season, they still have to pay him for the season. Here's the article from back when he signed it.

OK… but that's true for most any coach that gets fired mid-season, is it not? Why would you announce it now, before the team's final fate is anywhere near known? If they 'Jacks make the playoffs, NAU's leadership then looks like the biggest jackasses in college football. Their "we wanted the players to prepare for his departure" excuse is nonsense. It's not like they'd be shocked if Souers got fired following a bad season—this is Division I college football, after all.

I'm kinda surprised Souers was even willing to go through that press conference and stay around as a literal lame duck, to be honest.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
JALMOND wrote:

OK… but that's true for most any coach that gets fired mid-season, is it not? Why would you announce it now, before the team's final fate is anywhere near known? If they 'Jacks make the playoffs, NAU's leadership then looks like the biggest jackasses in college football. Their "we wanted the players to prepare for his departure" excuse is nonsense. It's not like they'd be shocked if Souers got fired following a bad season—this is Division I college football, after all.

I'm kinda surprised Souers was even willing to go through that press conference and stay around as a literal lame duck, to be honest.
Yeah I'm going to go a step further and say this is just fucking stupid.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
JALMOND wrote:

I'm thinking a lot of behind the scenes that we don't know about yet. If the contract was up this year, why no mention of an extension in the summer? Or, to the other extreme, no mention of letting him go after the season? Souers had to know heading in to the season that something was up if the administration was not telling him anything. Maybe Souers was already a lame-duck and they just announced it. Maybe someone spoke out of turn when pressured by a nosy reporter and NAU had to rush something out to refute it. Still a lot of things to figure out.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote:I'm thinking a lot of behind the scenes that we don't know about yet. If the contract was up this year, why no mention of an extension in the summer? Or, to the other extreme, no mention of letting him go after the season? Souers had to know heading in to the season that something was up if the administration was not telling him anything. Maybe Souers was already a lame-duck and they just announced it. Maybe someone spoke out of turn when pressured by a nosy reporter and NAU had to rush something out to refute it. Still a lot of things to figure out.
Definitely true, but there don't seem to be a lot of possibilities that make NAU's leadership look good.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Poor look for the NAU admin...especially as they now start looking for a new HC. Yikes.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

So NAU loses to a P5 and a nationally ranked FCS OOC opponent, and that's as far as the season has gone so far. I fail to see the justification for the axe here....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SuperHornet wrote:So NAU loses to a P5 and a nationally ranked FCS OOC opponent, and that's as far as the season has gone so far. I fail to see the justification for the axe here....
It means they had no intention of rehiring him at the conclusion of the season...only the admin totally mishandled the PR side of it and let the cat out of the bag long before they should have.