Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Sam Houston State vs. Prairie View

Post by JohnStOnge »

I don't know if any of you watched that game but I watched a lot of it. The reason is that I came across it in the first quarter, Sam Houston State was only leading 7-3 late in the quarter, and Prairie View looked like they were hanging in pretty well physically.

And they did. Prairieville never could get over the hill but they were able to play head up with Sam Houston State all game physically. They just made a LOT of mistakes. I checked the stats later. They outgained Sam Houston State 499 to 412 in total yards. They had more first downs (23 to 21). They dominated in the running game. Out rushed the Bearkats 334 to 123 and averaged 7.4 yards per carry.

They played well enough to have a chance to win that game. The problem is they had 16 penalties for 200 yards including some really key ones that helped Sam Houston State and/or took their own big plays off the board. And they had 2 turnovers to Sam Houston State's 1.

I don't know how much means Prairie View is a lot better than I thought they were or Sam Houston State is really vulnerable. After watching them run through the weakening them play Richmond last week I thought they are a lock to run through the Southland without being challenged at all because of the Southland's otherwise weakening trend. But now I'm not so sure. Prairie View averaging 7.4 yards per carry is interesting.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Sam Houston State vs. Prairie View

Post by CID1990 »

Sam Houston is a paper tiger. Again.

They beat Richmond, a road team with a new coach with a record of underachievement given his available talent

SHSU will coast through their weak conference and get skullfvcked in the semis again
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

JohnStOnge wrote:I don't know if any of you watched that game but I watched a lot of it. The reason is that I came across it in the first quarter, Sam Houston State was only leading 7-3 late in the quarter, and Prairie View looked like they were hanging in pretty well physically.

And they did. Prairieville never could get over the hill but they were able to play head up with Sam Houston State all game physically. They just made a LOT of mistakes. I checked the stats later. They outgained Sam Houston State 499 to 412 in total yards. They had more first downs (23 to 21). They dominated in the running game. Out rushed the Bearkats 334 to 123 and averaged 7.4 yards per carry.

They played well enough to have a chance to win that game. The problem is they had 16 penalties for 200 yards including some really key ones that helped Sam Houston State and/or took their own big plays off the board. And they had 2 turnovers to Sam Houston State's 1.

I don't know how much means Prairie View is a lot better than I thought they were or Sam Houston State is really vulnerable. After watching them run through the weakening them play Richmond last week I thought they are a lock to run through the Southland without being challenged at all because of the Southland's otherwise weakening trend. But now I'm not so sure. Prairie View averaging 7.4 yards per carry is interesting.
This shows that PVAM can hang with non-conference powers again I wish that the SWAC was still playoff eligible as a league would love to see these two schools in the FCS playoffs.PVAM has come a long way from its days as a cellar dweller in the SWAC.
Last edited by dal4018 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

CID1990 wrote:Sam Houston is a paper tiger. Again.

They beat Richmond, a road team with a new coach with a record of underachievement given his available talent

SHSU will coast through their weak conference and get skullfvcked in the semis again
Weak conference? I dunno - Nicholls was tied with Texas A&M in the 4th quarter last Saturday, and only barely got by McNeese the week before - we'll see if Briscoe's good enough to carry Keeler's squad to the playoffs and beyond...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Rob Iola wrote:
CID1990 wrote:Sam Houston is a paper tiger. Again.

Weak conference? I dunno - Nicholls was tied with Texas A&M in the 4th quarter last Saturday, and only barely got by McNeese the week before - we'll see if Briscoe's good enough to carry Keeler's squad to the playoffs and beyond...
What about Stephen F.Austin a member of the Southland Conference do any of you consider them as playoff material they have a QB that has NFL size 6'5 230.
Last edited by dal4018 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

dal4018 wrote:
Rob Iola wrote: Weak conference? I dunno - Nicholls was tied with Texas A&M in the 4th quarter last Saturday, and only barely got by McNeese the week before - we'll see if Briscoe's good enough to carry Keeler's squad to the playoffs and beyond...
What about Stephen F.Austin a member of the Southland Conference do any of you consider them as playoff material they have a QB that has NFL size 6'5 230.
Hard to say SFA absorbed a couple brutal losses to start the season size matters but you gotta have skill and an OL too plus some skill at WR and RB so lets check back on SFA in a few weeks.
Proletarians of the world, unite!
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Rob Iola wrote:
dal4018 wrote: What about Stephen F.Austin a member of the Southland Conference do any of you consider them as playoff material they have a QB that has NFL size 6'5 230.
Hard to say SFA absorbed a couple brutal losses to start the season size matters but you gotta have skill and an OL too plus some skill at WR and RB so lets check back on SFA in a few weeks.
Their WR/TE core has excellent size featuring a frosh WR named Dylan Parker 6'4 200 he has a Track&Field background as a High Jumper I hope he has some sprinting in him as well.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

dal4018 wrote:
Rob Iola wrote: Weak conference? I dunno - Nicholls was tied with Texas A&M in the 4th quarter last Saturday, and only barely got by McNeese the week before - we'll see if Briscoe's good enough to carry Keeler's squad to the playoffs and beyond...
What about Stephen F.Austin a member of the Southland Conference do any of you consider them as playoff material they have a QB that has NFL size 6'5 230 say hello to Foster Sawyer.
SUU has a bigger and better QB and they just beat SFA 55-14.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

kalm wrote:
dal4018 wrote: What about Stephen F.Austin a member of the Southland Conference do any of you consider them as playoff material they have a QB that has NFL size 6'5 230 say hello to Foster Sawyer.
SUU has a bigger and better QB and they just beat SFA 55-14.
Wow talk about beatdown!!!!!Just came from Southern Utah's website and saw their roster they have good sized QBs but none of them are near Foster Sawyer and his 6'5 230.They have one at 6'4 200 another at 6'3 220 the last one at 6'2 205.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Prairie View has two decent sized QBs Jalen Morton and Niko Hollins both listed at 6'4 230.