Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

BSC vs MVFC Challenge

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2017/8/1 ... eries.aspx
“The Big Sky and Missouri Valley Football Conferences have a great history of football success," says Andrea Williams, Commissioner of the Big Sky Conference. "It was important to both leagues to highlight and promote the outstanding achievements of our players, coaches and programs. This year will be no different, with top teams in the country meeting in great non-conference matchups.”

"The history of games between these two great FCS conferences is long and strong and it's wonderful to give these games even more significance with this Big Sky/MVFC Challenge Series," notes Patty Viverito, Commissioner of the MVFC. "Inter-conference FCS match-ups featuring nationally ranked teams make the football season more interesting and meaningful for teams and fans alike."
This year, a total of nine teams representing the two leagues highlight the STATS FCS top-25 pre-season rankings. All eight matchups will feature at least one team that is a pre-season top-25 squad, and in two of those matchups both teams are ranked.

Date -- Matchup (TV)
Sept. 9 -- #2 North Dakota State at #5 Eastern Washington, 4 pm ET (SWX/NBC ND/ESPN3)
Sept. 9 -- #23 Cal Poly at #18 UNI, 5 pm ET (Panther Sports Network/ESPN3)
Sept. 9 -- #4 South Dakota State at Montana State, 8 pm ET (SWX/Pluto TV/Altitude 2)
Sept. 9 -- #25 Western Illinois at Northern Arizona, Time TBD (NAU-TV AZ/Pluto TV)
Sept. 9 -- Missouri State at #8 North Dakota, 5 pm ET (Midco Sports Network/Pluto TV)
Sept. 16 -- #8 North Dakota at South Dakota, 3 pm ET (Midco Sports Network/ESPN3)
Sept. 16 -- #18 UNI at Southern Utah, 8 pm ET (Pluto TV)
Oct. 7 -- #20 Illinois State at Northern Arizona, Time TBD (NAU-TV AZ/Pluto TV)
*Networks and streaming subject to change

Really cool move by the two conferences.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: BSC vs MVFC Challenge

Post by Gil Dobie »

Big Sky has home field in 6 of 8 games.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

It's not a challenge

It's the conferences taking credit for something the ADs at the schools have done for the last few years, and have scheduled out for years.

Nothing about this is a challenge.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

clenz wrote:It's not a challenge

It's the conferences taking credit for something the ADs at the schools have done for the last few years, and have scheduled out for years.

:lol:

I kept searching for announcements on future games, a trophy, a wager of corn vs antelope meat or somethimg like that.

It indeed appears to just be branding current schedules.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Almost as good as the Ivy vs Patriot Challenge every year.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

kalm wrote:

I kept searching for announcements on future games, a trophy, a wager of corn vs antelope meat or somethimg like that.

Maybe something yet to come?
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

The PR people have to justify their jobs somehow.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:Almost as good as the Ivy vs Patriot Challenge every year.
Or the CAA vs. Ivy, Patriot, MEAC, NEC challenge every year.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

Considering Montana seems to be responsible for about 80% of the Big Sky's wins in these things, but isn't participating this year, I'll just say good luck to the rest of you assholes! I'm sure you'll lose, but then beat us, since that is how things work now apparently
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote:Almost as good as the Ivy vs Patriot Challenge every year.
No, because that's too lopsided in favor of the CAA. :geek:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
No, because that's too lopsided in favor of the CAA. :geek:
You are very wise...
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

I actually love these challenges in college bball, but let me ask you guys. Do you think these game would actually determine which conference has bragging rights? It's impossible to line up 1v1, 2v2, etc.. because that changes so often. So it's not really a great gauge. But let's say for fun...

North Dakota State > Eastern Washington
UNI > Cal Poly
South Dakota State > Montana State
Western Illinois > Northern Arizona
Missouri State > North Dakota
South Dakota > North Dakota
UNI > Southern Utah
Illinois State > Northern Arizona

but then a Big Sky team beats a MVFC team in Frisco. Who has bragging rights?
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

89Hen wrote:I actually love these challenges in college bball, but let me ask you guys. Do you think these game would actually determine which conference has bragging rights? It's impossible to line up 1v1, 2v2, etc.. because that changes so often. So it's not really a great gauge. But let's say for fun...

UNI > Cal Poly
UNI > Southern Utah

I'd say the Big Sky team cause in the end they'd be hoisting the trophy that matters. :nod:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:
89Hen wrote:I actually love these challenges in college bball, but let me ask you guys. Do you think these game would actually determine which conference has bragging rights? It's impossible to line up 1v1, 2v2, etc.. because that changes so often. So it's not really a great gauge. But let's say for fun...

UNI > Cal Poly
UNI > Southern Utah

I'd say the Big Sky team cause in the end they'd be hoisting the trophy that matters. :nod:
The NC trophy is the most important, but it's one team. Doesn't really speak for the strength of the conferene. However, when multiple teams in one conference win back to back to back... that's different. That's the CAA. 8-) :kisswink:
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

89Hen wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:
The NC trophy is the most important, but it's one team. Doesn't really speak for the strength of the conferene. However, when multiple teams in one conference win back to back to back... that's different. That's the CAA. 8-) :kisswink:

The way I see it. Would you rather...

A. win a game vs NDSU in the regular season,

or

B. Win the National Championship vs NDSU?

The MVFC could go 8-0 in the regular season matchups, but to me that means nothing if the MVFC loses the National Championship to a Big Sky team. :nod:

Of course a Big Sky team would first need to make a National Championship game..... :tiptoe:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:
89Hen wrote: The NC trophy is the most important, but it's one team. Doesn't really speak for the strength of the conferene. However, when multiple teams in one conference win back to back to back... that's different. That's the CAA. 8-) :kisswink:

or

The MVFC could go 8-0 in the regular season matchups, but to me that means nothing if the MVFC loses the National Championship to a Big Sky team. :nod:

Of course a Big Sky team would first need to make a National Championship game..... :tiptoe:
The two above are not the same thing and not really related. I would rather my team win the NC than beat any other team in I-AA in the regular season. The ONLY teams I can think of in CF that wouldn't agree with that statement could be Army and Navy.

My question is which shows more strength for the conference. To me, it's a no doubter that if Conference A goes 8-1 against Conference B. A is stronger.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:
kalm wrote:

Here's my theory....and it's a bit conspiracy laden, but not quite like Spandex...

The Big Sky is at 13 teams - will be 14 for one year until UND moves to the MVFC in 2020. That will put the Big Sky at 13 and MVFC at 11. The MVFC commish has come out and said that 11 is not an acceptable number and while no specifics have been talked about she wants 12 with a divisional split - argue that in another thread.

Here's where it gets tin foily

The MVC is looking to go to 12 teams and the first choice for team 11 is Murray State. Murray State was not added to the MVC this year because there wasn't an obvious 12th (MVC has said it won't run at 11) and football logistics are dicey with how the OVC would allow that to work.

Murray State will be the 12th MVFC school by 2020.

By Murray State joining and the conferences being at 12 and 13 a true "challenge" can be created where the conferences schedule the games. Teams are told "These are your home years and these are your road years". There will be efforts made to even the games out and all of that within reason. One BSC team gets left out, but big deal.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

89Hen wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:

or

The two above are not the same thing and not really related. I would rather my team win the NC than beat any other team in I-AA in the regular season. The ONLY teams I can think of in CF that wouldn't agree with that statement could be Army and Navy.

My question is which shows more strength for the conference. To me, it's a no doubter that if Conference A goes 8-1 against Conference B. A is stronger.

True enough
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

clenz wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:

Here's my theory....and it's a bit conspiracy laden, but not quite like Spandex...

The Big Sky is at 13 teams - will be 14 for one year until UND moves to the MVFC in 2020. That will put the Big Sky at 13 and MVFC at 11. The MVFC commish has come out and said that 11 is not an acceptable number and while no specifics have been talked about she wants 12 with a divisional split - argue that in another thread.

Here's where it gets tin foily

The MVC is looking to go to 12 teams and the first choice for team 11 is Murray State. Murray State was not added to the MVC this year because there wasn't an obvious 12th (MVC has said it won't run at 11) and football logistics are dicey with how the OVC would allow that to work.

Murray State will be the 12th MVFC school by 2020.

By Murray State joining and the conferences being at 12 and 13 a true "challenge" can be created where the conferences schedule the games. Teams are told "These are your home years and these are your road years". There will be efforts made to even the games out and all of that within reason. One BSC team gets left out, but big deal.

I actually like that idea, and as far as the Big Sky team who gets left out it can alternate every year

or

a single MVFC member can play 2 games against a BSC member, one at home and one away. The MVFC member alternating every year.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI > Cal Poly
UNI > Southern Utah

Some polls have North Dakota a top 10 team. I actually think the team formerly known as the Sue are a lot better than Misery St, and the USD game could be close.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Gil Dobie wrote:

UNI > Cal Poly
UNI > Southern Utah

Some polls have North Dakota a top 10 team. I actually think the team formerly known as the Sue are a lot better than Misery St, and the USD game could be close.
And NAU hosts WIU & ISU(r), and they should be better than at least one of them.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

89Hen wrote: but then a Big Sky team beats a MVFC team in Frisco. Who has bragging rights?
The team that won in Frisco and no-one else... this coat-tail riding BS is getting ridiculous. I blame the CAA for starting it, and the MVFC for continuing this fine tradition :coffee:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Silenoz wrote:
89Hen wrote: but then a Big Sky team beats a MVFC team in Frisco. Who has bragging rights?
The team that won in Frisco and no-one else... this coat-tail riding BS is getting ridiculous. I blame the CAA for starting it, and the MVFC for continuing this fine tradition :coffee:
Coming from a Big Sky guy... grain of salt. :kisswink:
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Silenoz »

89Hen wrote:
Silenoz wrote: The team that won in Frisco and no-one else... this coat-tail riding BS is getting ridiculous. I blame the CAA for starting it, and the MVFC for continuing this fine tradition :coffee:
Don't confuse me with AZ. Fuck the rest of the Big Sky :kisswink:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

89Hen wrote:
Silenoz wrote: The team that won in Frisco and no-one else... this coat-tail riding BS is getting ridiculous. I blame the CAA for starting it, and the MVFC for continuing this fine tradition :coffee:
You really think a single Griz fan is happy that EWU has become the standard-bearer for the conference in recent years? JFC! :rofl: :rofl: