Southeastern Louisiana adds transfer QB ...

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
slulionsfan
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southeastern Louisiana

Southeastern Louisiana adds transfer QB ...

Post by slulionsfan »

The Southeastern Louisiana Lions add former South Carolina QB, Lorenzo Nunez, to the roster. A 4-Star recruit out of Kennesaw, Ga., he played in eight games for the Gamecocks as a true freshman (including two starts) in 2015, before redshirting in 2016. He'll have three years of eligibility.

http://lionsports.net/news/2017/3/11/fo ... rills.aspx
http://247sports.com/Player/Lorenzo-Nun ... tion=47238
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/8854

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: Southeastern Louisiana adds transfer QB ...

Post by dal4018 »

Good pickup for the Lions.
slulionsfan
Level1
Level1

Post by slulionsfan »

dal4018 wrote:Good pickup for the Lions.
He looked good in the scrimmage on Saturday and has a chance to be a huge difference maker in our offense ... a lot of similarities to Bryan Bennett.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

slulionsfan wrote:
dal4018 wrote:Good pickup for the Lions.
He looked good in the scrimmage on Saturday and has a chance to be a huge difference maker in our offense ... a lot of similarities to Bryan Bennett.
Their offense requires a mobile QB???
slulionsfan
Level1
Level1

Post by slulionsfan »

dal4018 wrote:
slulionsfan wrote:
Their offense requires a mobile QB???
Yes. We run a lot of option stuff and prefer a mobile guy.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

slulionsfan wrote:he played in eight games for the Gamecocks as a true freshman (including two starts) in 2015, before redshirting in 2016.
I guess I didn't realize you can redshirt after playing for the team. That seems odd to me. :suspicious:
slulionsfan
Level1
Level1

Post by slulionsfan »

89Hen wrote:
slulionsfan wrote:he played in eight games for the Gamecocks as a true freshman (including two starts) in 2015, before redshirting in 2016.
I guess I didn't realize you can redshirt after playing for the team. That seems odd to me. :suspicious:
Why is that? You can redshirt at any point, doesn't have to be the true freshman season.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

slulionsfan wrote:
89Hen wrote: I guess I didn't realize you can redshirt after playing for the team. That seems odd to me. :suspicious:
Why is that? You can redshirt at any point, doesn't have to be the true freshman season.
I thought the intent of redshirting somebody was to give them time to develop from HS before they take the field as a college player. IMO once you start playing, you keep playing. I'm OK with medical redshirts, but not voluntary ones.
slulionsfan
Level1
Level1

Post by slulionsfan »

89Hen wrote:
slulionsfan wrote:
I thought the intent of redshirting somebody was to give them time to develop from HS before they take the field as a college player. IMO once you start playing, you keep playing. I'm OK with medical redshirts, but not voluntary ones.
He changed positions under a new coaching staff and banged up his knee in fall camp. By the time he was healthy enough to get back on the field, he was too far behind and they decided to redshirt him. He wants to play QB, that's how we got him.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
slulionsfan wrote:
5 years to get in 4 seems reasonable enough. Multiple reasons to redshirt past the true freshmen season including academics, playing time, and in the case of position changes, development. E.G.: kid starts out as a DE or TE but is asked to switch to interior line.

It seems like it happens in hoops quite a bit.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: I thought the intent of redshirting somebody was to give them time to develop from HS before they take the field as a college player. IMO once you start playing, you keep playing. I'm OK with medical redshirts, but not voluntary ones.
5 years to get in 4 seems reasonable enough. Multiple reasons to redshirt past the true freshmen season including academics, playing time, and in the case of position changes, development. E.G.: kid starts out as a DE or TE but is asked to switch to interior line.

I don't care for any of those reasons kalm.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

Well you don't have to. :lol:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't seem to care for an inordinate number of things. ;)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Grizalltheway wrote:
89Hen wrote: I don't care for any of those reasons kalm.
Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't seem to care for an inordinate number of things. ;)
I don't think I'm alone in that. Just seems that redshirting because you aren't getting playing time, because you can't make grades, because you want to change positions are tough shit situations. Once you play, only medical redshirts should be given. If YOU can't make grades, you sit. If YOU can't make a starting role, you ride the pine.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
I don't think I'm alone in that. Just seems that redshirting because you aren't getting playing time, because you can't make grades, because you want to change positions are tough shit situations. Once you play, only medical redshirts should be given. If YOU can't make grades, you sit. If YOU can't make a starting role, you ride the pine.
Wouldnt the PT and position changes be driven by coaches decisions? Perhaps the coaches feel these changes while keeping the kid in the program are best not only for the student athlete, but the program?

And taking a year off to improve grades, whether it's to maintain eligibility or perhaps help with getting into a graduate program seems like a positive for all involved....

Who's getting harmed by this travesty of a rule anyway?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: I don't think I'm alone in that. Just seems that redshirting because you aren't getting playing time, because you can't make grades, because you want to change positions are tough shit situations. Once you play, only medical redshirts should be given. If YOU can't make grades, you sit. If YOU can't make a starting role, you ride the pine.
Wouldnt the PT and position changes be driven by coaches decisions? Perhaps the coaches feel these changes while keeping the kid in the program are best not only for the student athlete, but the program?

And taking a year off to improve grades, whether it's to maintain eligibility or perhaps help with getting into a graduate program seems like a positive for all involved....

I'm not saying they can't take a year off for grades, but IMO that should be on your dime and leave you with one less year of eligibility. If my daughter's grades are low, she loses her scholarship. Why should a football player be any different? :tothehand:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

I'm not saying they can't take a year off for grades, but IMO that should be on your dime and leave you with one less year of eligibility. If my daughter's grades are low, she loses her scholarship. Why should a football player be any different? :tothehand:
What's her 40 time?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: I'm not saying they can't take a year off for grades, but IMO that should be on your dime and leave you with one less year of eligibility. If my daughter's grades are low, she loses her scholarship. Why should a football player be any different? :tothehand:
What's her 40 time?
Faster than yours or mine. 8-)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

slulionsfan wrote:The Southeastern Louisiana Lions add former South Carolina QB, Lorenzo Nunez, to the roster. A 4-Star recruit out of Kennesaw, Ga., he played in eight games for the Gamecocks as a true freshman (including two starts) in 2015, before redshirting in 2016. He'll have three years of eligibility.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Last year JMU got another 4 star QB transfer from SC, Connor Mitch, who started the 1st 2 games of the season for USC in 2015. He ended up as JMU's backup before getting hurt mid season in a non football related injury, then was one of the players who pissed hot on an NCAA drug test during the playoffs, and is now off the team. Considerig he was 4 star and had actually started 2 games for Spurrier, he has to be the biggest transfer flop in JMU history.
http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/ ... 42012.html
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
slulionsfan
Level1
Level1

Post by slulionsfan »

BDKJMU wrote:
slulionsfan wrote:The Southeastern Louisiana Lions add former South Carolina QB, Lorenzo Nunez, to the roster. A 4-Star recruit out of Kennesaw, Ga., he played in eight games for the Gamecocks as a true freshman (including two starts) in 2015, before redshirting in 2016. He'll have three years of eligibility.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Last year JMU got another 4 star QB transfer from SC, Connor Mitch, who started the 1st 2 games of the season for USC in 2015. He ended up as JMU's backup before getting hurt mid season in a non football related injury, then was one of the players who pissed hot on an NCAA drug test during the playoffs, and is now off the team. Considerig he was 4 star and had actually started 2 games for Spurrier, he has to be the biggest transfer flop in JMU history.
http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/ ... 42012.html
Some work out, some don't.