Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: 1R - San Diego @ Cal Poly

Post by JohnStOnge »

Cluck U wrote:
I watched Cal Poly this year.

One dimensional...and with a QB worse than UNI..
Remember that the program that still holds the record for I-AA/FCS national titles at 6 was a one dimensional option football team throughout its tenure except for a short hiccup for a handful of years. In addition to winning those 6 it was a contender a number of other times even into losing a 23-20 nail biter to North Dakota State in the 2012 semifinals in what was probably the real national championship game (North Dakota State beat Sam Houston State 39-13 the following week in the championship game).

The stats weren't up yet when I posted last night but now I can see that San Diego outgained Cal Poly by 473 to 195 in total yards. They totally dominated that game. What's amazing is that they dominated the lines of scrimmage both ways and on the screen they looked completely over matched size wise.

You looked at them on the screen and it looked like a high school team playing a college team but by golly they got it done leaving no doubt. Kept wondering if they'd find a way to lose anyway and thought maybe they would after Cal Poly got that pick six but they showed some real intestinal fortitude on their next offensive possession to put it away. Made a couple of really great plays...great throws combined with great catches...on that drive.

Just an outstanding "make plays" effort by San Diego.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

Grizalltheway wrote:
EWURanger wrote:
You're only saying that because your team sucks and didn't make it in.

Also, Cal Poly...WTF, over?
Dude, face the facts. When's the last time any Big Sky team outside of EWU did anything in the playoffs? :|
FIFY.

Kidding...kind of. It's been a while for Montana if we're being honest. EWU is the only Big Sky team this decade that has consistently done anything, minus Montana's run in 2011.

I agree that some other teams need to make some noise in the playoffs. I don't know what it is with Cal Poly, honestly. They start off the season looking like world beaters, and then really seem to regress towards the end of the year. The same thing could be said for MSU and/or NAU many years. I think Cal Poly's offensive style of play leaves them banged up towards the end of the year. If you're going to run that kind of offense you need adequate depth across the board because you're inevitably going to lose a lot of players throughout the course of the year. Honestly, I think Cal Poly should ditch the TO. It is not a balanced enough offense to win championships, IMO.

Weber probably had no business getting into the playoffs.
Last edited by EWURanger on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

I have to admit that with everything going on with Thanksgiving, I didn't keep up on the pre-game info. Was Poly decimated by injuries this weekend? I was thinking Protheroe was back at least. I agrre thay always look good early but don't make it by the end of the season.

Yes, MSU has regressed later in the season in recent years. Ash had lots of wins but they mostly came against teams we should have beat. We seldom won against top teams, which were often later in the season - especially playoffs. That's why we have a new coach. We're hopeful that won't be the case with Choate. The finish this year looks like a stronger finishing team, but it'll be a few years before we know.

Weber arguably shouldn't have been in the playoffs, but none of the bubble teams really deserved a spot in the playofffs IMO. I like 24 teams because I think it's good that all of the conferences can get a team in the playoffs, but it's too many teams in the sense that the bubble teams probably don't belong in the playoffs.
San Diego Football
I am a fan of: San Diego

Post by San Diego Football »

Gil Dobie wrote:
San Diego Football wrote:Fight Toreros! Fight Toreros! On to Victory!

So proud of this team, no matter what happens next week.

On to the FargoDome!
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing a new face in Fargo next Saturday.

Are you coming up for the game?
I wish I could but I'll be watching on ESPN 3. I always enjoyed seeing NDSU beat up on FBS teams and win consecutive titles. Can't wait to see how my team match up against you guys.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

San Diego Football wrote: Can't wait to see how my team match up against you guys.
Be careful what you wish for. :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
San Diego Football
I am a fan of: San Diego

Post by San Diego Football »

AZGrizFan wrote:
San Diego Football wrote: Can't wait to see how my team match up against you guys.
0 scholarships vs. A five-time defending champion that beat an FBS team that beat Michigan.

I think we have a chance.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

San Diego Football wrote:0 scholarships
Kinda. When the Patriot didn't offer athletic scholarships, it seemed many of their football players needed the need based. It's somewhat semantics if the aid comes in the form of "need based" or academic vs athletic, but it does put Pioneer teams at a slight disadvantage. I just don't think it's as big as some people think.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

AZGrizFan wrote:

There has never been anything wrong with wanting to see how a team you root for does against the best. Personally I love it when Weber plays the best, because it acts as a measuring stick. This is where we are now, but this is where we want to be.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

San Diego Football wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: Be careful what you wish for. :coffee: :coffee:
0 scholarships vs. A five-time defending champion that beat an FBS team that beat Michigan.

I think we have a chance.
:lol: :lol: :notworthy:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Obligatory

phpBB [video]
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

I figure the line if you can find one will be 25 to 30 points. Bigger upsets have happened. Not often. But they've happened. In fact it's going to be in the ball park of the 2007 Appalachian State at Michigan line. I think that one was Michigan -29.
Could I ever be a star?

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JohnStOnge wrote:I figure the line if you can find one will be 25 to 30 points. Bigger upsets have happened. Not often. But they've happened. In fact it's going to be in the ball park of the 2007 Appalachian State at Michigan line. I think that one was Michigan -29.
The biggest upset of the year (FBS or FCS) on 5dimes was Pine Bluff over Alcorn. The money line was +6750 (67.5:1), if I remember correctly. That translates to at least a 5-touchdown spread, I believe.

The biggest money line they have is +200000. That's generally for games with 50+ point spreads.
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Remember that the program that still holds the record for I-AA/FCS national titles at 6 was a one dimensional option football team throughout its tenure except for a short hiccup for a handful of years.
Yeah, and at one point, the forward pass was illegal. :roll:

Keep living in the past. :coffee:
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Cluck U wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote: Remember that the program that still holds the record for I-AA/FCS national titles at 6 was a one dimensional option football team throughout its tenure except for a short hiccup for a handful of years.

16 years ago was their last title.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Cluck U wrote:

16 years ago was their last title.
Yes. But as I said the game for the national title in 2012 was really probably between Georgia Southern and North Dakota State in the semifinals. And that was Georgia Southern's final year of I-AA/FCS playoff eligibility. In fact they were in the semifinals during each of their last three years of eligibility.

It was an extremely successful I-AA/FCS program running a "one dimensional" offense.
Could I ever be a star?