1. Eastern Washington
2. North Dakota
3. Cal Poly
4. Northern Arizona
5. Northern Colorado
6. Montana

Your an idiot.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Re: Big Sky Week 9 Review + Power Rankings

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

AZGrizFan wrote:1. Eastern Washington
2. North Dakota
3. Cal Poly
4. Northern Arizona
5. Northern Colorado
6. Montana

Your an idiot.

three teams with worse conference records than Weber and they are all ahead of Weber State :wtf:
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by MrTitleist »

2. North Dakota
3. Cal Poly
4. Northern Arizona
5. Northern Colorado
6. Montana

Your an idiot.
You're*
ImageImageImageImageImage
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

MrTitleist wrote:
2. North Dakota
3. Cal Poly
4. Northern Arizona
5. Northern Colorado
6. Montana

Your an idiot.
You're*
Beat me to it. :lol:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

After the last two games I don't even have it in me to blindly argue that we should be ahead of UNC. :| :oops:
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:
2. North Dakota
3. Cal Poly
4. Northern Arizona
5. Northern Colorado
6. Montana

Your an idiot.

three teams with worse conference records than Weber and they are all ahead of Weber State :wtf:
I would think that is one negative of such a big conference. I don't know the reasoning here but I have to assume they feel Weber's wins are against worse opponents or something. Again, I didn't write it and don't know, but that would make sense to me.
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by MrTitleist »

When I rank teams I basically just throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks. But really, the separation between 2-6 isn't that big.
ImageImageImageImageImage
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Pretty amazing that we are into the month of November now and there are still about 8 teams in the conference with some type of playoff aspirations, with only EWU being a shoo-in (I know Cal Poly should be a shoo-in as well but you never know about playoff committees). As we go down the stretch, still some great games to be play that will eventually work itself out. No doubt, however, there will be some sad faces as some teams will be done by Thanksgiving (some are already done). Here are my conference power rankings for this week (last week in parenthesis). Have at them.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week beat Montana at home 35-16, this week at Cal Poly---The Eagles are still flying high over the conference and are in line for a high seed in the playoffs if they can win their remaining games. This coming one is the toughest.

2. North Dakota (2)---Last week beat Weber State at home 27-19, this week at Northern Colorado---The Hawks got past a tough conference foe and now, with their sights on the playoffs as well (to make up for last year's slight), they have a tough road contest.

3. Cal Poly (3)---Last week won at Sacramento State 59-47, this week Eastern Washington at home---The Mustangs survived a furious rally on the road to escape with a win and now get a showdown with the flying Eagles. Do the Mustangs belong?

4. Northern Arizona (4)---Last week bye, this week at Weber State---The Lumberjacks were keeping the ship afloat, until they hoped their quarterback was able to come back. Unfortunately, that is not the case (no pun intended) and they need their backup to keep it going.

5. Southern Utah (7)---Last week won at Idaho State 52-27, this week Montana State at home---The Thunderbirds rebounded nicely from their heart wrenching defeat a couple weeks ago. They may have a shot at the playoffs, but they can't lose this game.

6. Weber State (6)---Last week lost at North Dakota 27-19, this week Northern Arizona at home---The Wildcats finally had a shot at a strong opponent last week and came up just short on the road. They need a good showing this week against another strong opponent.

7. Montana (5)---Last week lost at Eastern Washington 35-16, this week Idaho State at home---Not quite the season the Grizzlies thought they would have but things may be getting easier. However, the Bengals gave them a tough game last year.

8. Northern Colorado (8)---Last week won in OT at Portland State 56-49, this week North Dakota at home---The Bears have playoff hopes? With a slate of games against North Dakota, Montana and Cal Poly, you better believe it (but they need all three).

9. UC-Davis (10)---Last week bye, this week Portland State at home---The Aggies are playing out the string but are coming off a good home win against Northern Colorado a couple weeks ago. They now want a win this weekend.

10. Montana State (11)---Last week bye, this week at Southern Utah---The Bobcats still have no conference wins (only one win overall) and things do not look like they are going to get any easier any time soon. But you still have to play them.

11. Portland State (9)---Last week lost in OT to Northern Colorado 56-49, this week at UC-Davis---How the mighty have fallen. To say the Vikings came out flat after halftime last week is putting it mildly. Now they are in freefall. Will it end?

12. Idaho State (12)---Last week lost to Southern Utah at home 52-27, this week at Montana---The Bengals head out on the road after a shocking home loss last week. They are still playing rather competitively and remember their game with Montana last year.

13. Sacramento State (13)---Last week lost at home to Cal Poly 59-47, this week bye---After a furious comeback to throw a small scare into Cal Poly late in the game last week, the Hornets get a much deserved bye week before their game against Portland State.

RECAP: 1 in front, 2-6 just behind, 7-8 keeping up, 9-11 losing ground, 12-13 bringing up the rear.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote:5. Southern Utah (7)---Last week won at Idaho State 52-27, this week Montana State at home---The Thunderbirds rebounded nicely from their heart wrenching defeat a couple weeks ago. They may have a shot at the playoffs, but they can't lose this game.

6. Weber State (6)---Last week lost at North Dakota 27-19, this week Northern Arizona at home---The Wildcats finally had a shot at a strong opponent last week and came up just short on the road. They need a good showing this week against another strong opponent.
Really? Weber beat SUU on the road. :?

Also, SUU has no real playoff hope because they still have to play at BYU.
Brock Landers
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Things

Post by Brock Landers »

Grizalltheway wrote:After the last two games I don't even have it in me to blindly argue that we should be ahead of UNC. :| :oops:
What's the difference at this point? (imo)
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

For JAL:

If Sac fought as hard as they did against your #3 team, while ISU essentially crapped the bed against your #5, why did you not at least swap those places? Or did you have Sac THAT far behind ISU?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:
You're*
Beat me to it. :lol:
It was written in the language of Alpha. :tothehand:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JALMOND wrote:Pretty amazing that we are into the month of November now and there are still about 8 teams in the conference with some type of playoff aspirations, with only EWU being a shoo-in (I know Cal Poly should be a shoo-in as well but you never know about playoff committees). As we go down the stretch, still some great games to be play that will eventually work itself out. No doubt, however, there will be some sad faces as some teams will be done by Thanksgiving (some are already done). Here are my conference power rankings for this week (last week in parenthesis). Have at them.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week beat Montana at home 35-16, this week at Cal Poly---The Eagles are still flying high over the conference and are in line for a high seed in the playoffs if they can win their remaining games. This coming one is the toughest.

2. North Dakota (2)---Last week beat Weber State at home 27-19, this week at Northern Colorado---The Hawks got past a tough conference foe and now, with their sights on the playoffs as well (to make up for last year's slight), they have a tough road contest.

3. Cal Poly (3)---Last week won at Sacramento State 59-47, this week Eastern Washington at home---The Mustangs survived a furious rally on the road to escape with a win and now get a showdown with the flying Eagles. Do the Mustangs belong?

4. Northern Arizona (4)---Last week bye, this week at Weber State---The Lumberjacks were keeping the ship afloat, until they hoped their quarterback was able to come back. Unfortunately, that is not the case (no pun intended) and they need their backup to keep it going.

5. Southern Utah (7)---Last week won at Idaho State 52-27, this week Montana State at home---The Thunderbirds rebounded nicely from their heart wrenching defeat a couple weeks ago. They may have a shot at the playoffs, but they can't lose this game.

7. Montana (5)---Last week lost at Eastern Washington 35-16, this week Idaho State at home---Not quite the season the Grizzlies thought they would have but things may be getting easier. However, the Bengals gave them a tough game last year.

8. Northern Colorado (8)---Last week won in OT at Portland State 56-49, this week North Dakota at home---The Bears have playoff hopes? With a slate of games against North Dakota, Montana and Cal Poly, you better believe it (but they need all three).

9. UC-Davis (10)---Last week bye, this week Portland State at home---The Aggies are playing out the string but are coming off a good home win against Northern Colorado a couple weeks ago. They now want a win this weekend.

10. Montana State (11)---Last week bye, this week at Southern Utah---The Bobcats still have no conference wins (only one win overall) and things do not look like they are going to get any easier any time soon. But you still have to play them.

11. Portland State (9)---Last week lost in OT to Northern Colorado 56-49, this week at UC-Davis---How the mighty have fallen. To say the Vikings came out flat after halftime last week is putting it mildly. Now they are in freefall. Will it end?

12. Idaho State (12)---Last week lost to Southern Utah at home 52-27, this week at Montana---The Bengals head out on the road after a shocking home loss last week. They are still playing rather competitively and remember their game with Montana last year.

13. Sacramento State (13)---Last week lost at home to Cal Poly 59-47, this week bye---After a furious comeback to throw a small scare into Cal Poly late in the game last week, the Hornets get a much deserved bye week before their game against Portland State.

RECAP: 1 in front, 2-6 just behind, 7-8 keeping up, 9-11 losing ground, 12-13 bringing up the rear.
Weber & Montana both lose, and somehow Weber jumps Montana? :dunce: :dunce:
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
JALMOND wrote:Pretty amazing that we are into the month of November now and there are still about 8 teams in the conference with some type of playoff aspirations, with only EWU being a shoo-in (I know Cal Poly should be a shoo-in as well but you never know about playoff committees). As we go down the stretch, still some great games to be play that will eventually work itself out. No doubt, however, there will be some sad faces as some teams will be done by Thanksgiving (some are already done). Here are my conference power rankings for this week (last week in parenthesis). Have at them.

Weber & Montana both lose, and somehow Weber jumps Montana? :dunce: :dunce:

Not saying I agree with it, but should Montana be ahead of Weber?
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Regarding SUU and WSU---I think SUU is better than WSU at this point, even with the home loss. I said last week that I didn't know for sure if that game showed Weber was really that good or if they were lucky. After SUU put up 52 on Idaho State and Weber losing another game on the road, this week I feel confident putting SUU ahead of WSU.

WSU and UM---Weber played North Dakota tough and the game wasn't decided until the final minutes. Montana was never really in the game at Eastern after the first quarter. Also looking at the records, Montana has three conference losses, Weber has one. We'll get a better picture after this weekend when Weber plays NAU but for this week, I feel confident having Weber ahead of UM.
BigSkyFan

Post by BigSkyFan »

JALMOND wrote:Regarding SUU and WSU---I think SUU is better than WSU at this point, even with the home loss. I said last week that I didn't know for sure if that game showed Weber was really that good or if they were lucky. After SUU put up 52 on Idaho State and Weber losing another game on the road, this week I feel confident putting SUU ahead of WSU.

WSU and UM---Weber played North Dakota tough and the game wasn't decided until the final minutes. Montana was never really in the game at Eastern after the first quarter. Also looking at the records, Montana has three conference losses, Weber has one. We'll get a better picture after this weekend when Weber plays NAU but for this week, I feel confident having Weber ahead of UM.

Thanks for the post all! A bit off topic here but.........

I think that it is possible that both Cal Poly and EWU will be given playoff seeds over UND IF CP beats EWU and all three win out - purely based on quality wins and strength of schedule.

I also find it troubling that the pollsters continue to have SDSU ranked over Poly in both top 25 polls.

Just for kicks, an SDSU loss vs. a (now) 4-5 Illinois State team is a better showing than a beat up CP defense beating Sac St on the road? Insane. The same argument could be made for why UND is ranked below Poly in the top 25. Big Sky continues to get no respect on the national stage.

The midwest/east coast bias reigns supreme in college football which remains UND's only hope for seeding. Maybe, just maybe they will have enough media exposure to pull off a 1st round bye.

Thoughts?
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

JALMOND wrote:Regarding SUU and WSU---I think SUU is better than WSU at this point, even with the home loss. I said last week that I didn't know for sure if that game showed Weber was really that good or if they were lucky. After SUU put up 52 on Idaho State and Weber losing another game on the road, this week I feel confident putting SUU ahead of WSU.

Weber completely outplayed SUU in that 4th quarter. There may have been a little luck in there but the defense forced the stops and the offense scored when they had the ball.

+ Weber lost by 8 @ the #1 team in the Big Sky and still had a shot towards the end to tie it and force overtime. SUU beat an Idaho State team who isn't likely to win another game this year.

I don't think a win over a doormat (ISU) should elevate a team (SUU) over a team (WSU) who beat them (SUU) because they lost on the road to the #1 team (UND) in the league. Also to go with your point in the second paragraph, Weber has one conference loss (@UND) SUU has 3 (@UM, @UND, WSU)

Now if Weber would have lost @ UND and SUU would have won @ Eastern than I would probably agree with you.

Granted these are your rankings and you have the right to put the teams in the order you believe they should be.
Last edited by Wildcat Ryan on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

My power rankings

1. Eastern Washington - They deserve this spot and honestly I don't think there is another team in the Big Sky who could beat them this year.

2. North Dakota - Defense wins championships. If their offense was a just a bit more explosive I'd put them in at #1

3. Cal Poly - I have them at number three. Cal Poly has struggled? in their last three wins...regardless they are still very good.

4. Weber State - If this team could find some offensive consistency they would be very very dangerous.

5. Northern Arizona - after a slow Cookus-less start to the season NAU has won 3 in a row. Momentum is huge in college football

6. Montana - Obviously not a top Big Sky team, but they are still a pretty good football team

7. Southern Utah - Too bad SUU has to play BYU still, if they had gotten another fcs team to play they would still have a shot at the playoffs.

8. Northern Colorado - UNC looks like they may be on the rise, loss to Davis is a bit of a head scratcher though.

9. Portland State - My Big Sky disappointment of the year. Don't know what happened but the magic has obviously been drained.

10. UC Davis - 9 and 10 in this poll could easily be swapped. Luckily they play each other this week.

11. Idaho State - The Bengals have looked just awful this year, but they do have one conference win this year...against the # 12 team in this poll........

12. Sacramento State - Sacramento really needs to let Sears go. The guy's teams have literally gotten worse each year.

13. Montana State - The inability to win conference games will put you in last place in actual standings and fan power polls.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:My power rankings
4. Weber State - If this team could find some offensive consistency they would be very very dangerous.

6. Montana - Obviously not a top Big Sky team, but they are still a pretty good football team
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If Montana could find offensive consistency they'd be undefeated. :tothehand:
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

AZGrizFan wrote:

Give me a good reason to put anyone other than EWU, UND and CPSLO ahead of Weber. And none of those "Because Montana reasons" :tothehand:
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

AZGrizFan wrote:

No they wouldn't. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Give me a good reason to put anyone other than EWU, UND and CPSLO ahead of Weber. And none of those "Because Montana reasons" :tothehand:
Here's several reasons: Sac State, UC-D, MSU, PSU, SUU, a combined 6-19 (and three of THOSE wins belong to SUU--a team Montana also beat). THAT'S who you've played in conference.
Common Opponents:

Suck State: Weber wins 14-7, Montana wins 68-7
SUU: Weber wins 37-36, Montana wins 43-20

The ONE good team you played you lost to. You (and UNC) will come crashing down to reality in the next two weeks. :nod: :nod: :nod:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No they wouldn't. :coffee:
Yes, they would. :nod: :thumb:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

It's fair to put Weber above Montana, but placing SUU above both—and you base it entirely on putting up 52 points on a really bad Idaho State team? SUU hasn't even been competitive with anyone good aside from Weber, and they lost to both Weber & Montana—losing to the Griz by 23 points. :?