IT'S ON! Official Charleston Southern @ N Dakota St thread!

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
bucs90
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Charleston Southern

IT'S ON! Official Charleston Southern @ N Dakota St thread!

Post by bucs90 »

It's on boys!! CSU started practice last night. The #6 Buccaneers return 16 starters from last year's squad which won the Big South and lost in the 3rd round of the playoffs to Jacksonville State. The Sporting News says 2016 will be CSUs best team ever.

We'll find out quick @ #1 NDSU, 5X defending national champion. A huge task for CSU. Will be one of the best teams they've ever played. CCU was ranked #1 when CSU beat them but NDSU is better. CSU in recent years has played @ Alabama, Georgia, Florida State....so the atmosphere shouldn't be too much to handle.

Predictions? Unlike The Citadel games the past 3 years..I won't guarantee victory. But I do predict CSU will be a tougher out than many think and just might shock the FCS world.
[img] http://www.csusports.com/sports/fball/2 ... 325380900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[img]
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: IT'S ON! Official Charleston Southern @ N Dakota St thread!

Post by clenz »

NDSU by at least 4 TDs.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

clenz wrote:NDSU by at least 4 TDs.
We'll see. I won't deny they are and should be big favorites. Prime time ESPN on week 0. Only game in town. No lose for CSU. National exposure. SHOULD lose big but has enough talent to pull the stunner.
[img] http://www.csusports.com/sports/fball/2 ... 325380900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[img]
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

CSU averages 6'1 255 across the DL
NDSU averages 6'5 307 across their OL
NDSU averages 6'3 250 across their TEs

CSU averages 5'11 210 at LB
NDSU averages 5'11 212 at RB
NDSU averages 6'1 250 at FB

There is zero chance CSU slows down the NDSU ground game....none.

CSU averages 6'2 270 across their OL
CSU avereages 6'1 230 across their TE
NDSU averages 6'3 270 across their DL

CSU averaged 5'11 188 at RB/FB
NDSU averages 6'2 220 at LB

There is zero chance CSU runs with any consistency against NDSU.

CSU doesn't really pass for dick....so....it'll get ugly, real quick like.
CSUBUCDAD
Level2
Level2
A.K.A.: MJCOCK, MJ, STUMP

Post by CSUBUCDAD »

Game sure is getting some attention already though. Saw segments on it on ESPN, ESPNU and a couple of others over the last week or so and we are still 3 weeks out from the game.

You want my guns? Come take them.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

clenz wrote:CSU averages 6'1 255 across the DL
NDSU averages 6'5 307 across their OL
NDSU averages 6'3 250 across their TEs

CSU averages 5'11 210 at LB
NDSU averages 5'11 212 at RB
NDSU averages 6'1 250 at FB

There is zero chance CSU slows down the NDSU ground game....none.

CSU averages 6'2 270 across their OL
CSU avereages 6'1 230 across their TE
NDSU averages 6'3 270 across their DL

CSU averaged 5'11 188 at RB/FB
NDSU averages 6'2 220 at LB

There is zero chance CSU runs with any consistency against NDSU.

CSU doesn't really pass for dick....so....it'll get ugly, real quick like.
Well on paper yes you make valid points. But last year The Citadel was the #1 rushing team in America. They rammed it down the throat of an SEC team in a win. And CSU throttled their running game in playoff. 2 years ago CSU lost to SEC Vanderbilt by 1 point and Vandy isn't any smaller than NDSU. And as anyone who has been around Big South ball knows...Liberty is always big, sometimes huge. It won't be anything CSU hasn't seen before. Heck they played Alabama and Georgia in their last 15 games.

Size ain't everything. But no denying NDSUs talent. It's an uphill fight for sure.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Citadel doesn't have shit on NDSUs ground game. You'd know that watching any NDSU game.

I'd love to see NDSUs rushing numbers of they went up against Kennesaw State, Gardner-Webb, etc... rather than UNI, SDSU, Montana, Illinois State, etc...

For reference UNI had 6 people from last year's defense that are currently in NFL camps....6....from just last season...

Outside of the two NDSU games UNI gave up less than three yards per carry on the season. Held Cal Poly, who was actually the highest rated rush offense last season, to over 100 yards below their season average (a game that kicked off at 10PM central time out in California). In those two games against UNI the Bison were just one of 2, maybe three 3 teams to average at least 3.5 YPC and they did it twice.

Liberty being huge? I watched their game against SIU last season. SIU is a small MVFC team. They are a bad MVFC team. They got boat raced by everyone in the MVFC except Misery State. They were 3-8 last season. I mean bad. SIU crushed Liberty like a JV team and made them look physically like a JV team.

I understand confidence, but you have no idea what the hell you're walking into in Fargo.

I've been to games at B10 and b12 stadiums with 70 plus thousand fans. None of them were as loud as the Fargodome.
CSUBUCDAD
Level2
Level2

Post by CSUBUCDAD »

Coach Chadwell is well aware of what they are walking into. The point is that CSU has been the brunt of well deserved disrespect up until 3 years ago....... Not now. They have the attention of the entire FCS and they deserve this shot at the big dog. Can't wait for August 27th. Bring it.

CSUBUCDAD
Level2
Level2

Post by CSUBUCDAD »

Let me tell you a little story about a game I saw back in the 70's back in West Texas where I grew up and played ball. There was a regional playoff game between the states #3 team Meadow against an a small school from Phillips, Texas. The biggest kid on Phillips was a kid that played fullback at around 210. The front defensive line of Meadow averaged around 260. To make a long story short Phillips put 36 points all on the ground on Meadow and beat them 36-21 to move on. Size does not out do speed in the long run.

kendradad
I am a fan of: USC/VMI?

Post by kendradad »

I was wrong about CSU last year, and might be again this year. However, I don't see CSU as even being competitive in this game. They will have a new QB, and NDSU is just too good. They have a great coach, but he doesn't play and will be gone soon in any event. It is a miracle that he can recruit any decent players to CSU, gotta give him credit for that.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

clenz wrote:Citadel doesn't have **** on NDSUs ground game. You'd know that watching any NDSU game.

I'd love to see NDSUs rushing numbers of they went up against Kennesaw State, Gardner-Webb, etc... rather than UNI, SDSU, Montana, Illinois State, etc...

For reference UNI had 6 people from last year's defense that are currently in NFL camps....6....from just last season...

Outside of the two NDSU games UNI gave up less than three yards per carry on the season. Held Cal Poly, who was actually the highest rated rush offense last season, to over 100 yards below their season average (a game that kicked off at 10PM central time out in California). In those two games against UNI the Bison were just one of 2, maybe three 3 teams to average at least 3.5 YPC and they did it twice.

Liberty being huge? I watched their game against SIU last season. SIU is a small MVFC team. They are a bad MVFC team. They got boat raced by everyone in the MVFC except Misery State. They were 3-8 last season. I mean bad. SIU crushed Liberty like a JV team and made them look physically like a JV team.

I understand confidence, but you have no idea what the hell you're walking into in Fargo.

I've been to games at B10 and b12 stadiums with 70 plus thousand fans. None of them were as loud as the Fargodome.
The Citadel isn't in the Big South they're SoCon. They play Furman, UTC, Wofford, etc.

6 NDSU defenders from 2015 and their #2 overall QB are gone? Well...my point...they have a lot of new faces. Bro I'm not arguing CSU is better or NDSU is anything other than the clear #1 FCS team. I'm just saying this thing could be a sleeper upset.

That same Liberty team has also beat up on Montana. So has Coastal Carolina.

And no offense to the Fargo Dome. It's gonna be intense, no doubt about it. But your statements like "you have no idea what you're walking into" blah blah? Spare us the drama please. It isn't gonna be any worse than what Tuscaloosa, Athens or Tallahassee was like. In atmosphere or physical talent. So yes while NDSU will be better physically....they won't be some Godzilla creature which CSU is shocked and awed by. Unless you're saying NDSU was better than 2015 Alabama and the Fargo Dome is more intense than Bryant-Denny or Doak - Campbell (hint....it isn't).

It's gonna be about like putting a dome over top of any rabid crowd of 18K fans....and playing a team whose CURRENT talent level is about on par with a lower tier SEC or ACC team. And that's a COMPLIMENT by the way.
Last edited by bucs90 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

kendradad wrote:I was wrong about CSU last year, and might be again this year. However, I don't see CSU as even being competitive in this game. They will have a new QB, and NDSU is just too good. They have a great coach, but he doesn't play and will be gone soon in any event. It is a miracle that he can recruit any decent players to CSU, gotta give him credit for that.
Their QB isn't new. He's been an on and off starter since 2013.

CSU has always been able to recruit good raw talent. Even in their bad years. Problems were insanely bad luck w QB injuries and some offensive coordinator problems (CSUs true problem hasn't been getting players, it's been keeping assistant coaches. They don't pay well. Head coaches stay but every year the assistants come and go. Chadwell has had HUGE success keeping a staff together and it's showing now)

Recruiting to the Charleston area is EASY. Visit the city. See the beaches, nightlife and above all....the women. If CSU had top 25 caliber facilities....they'd be a top 10 program yearly.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

Just a footnote. The STATS All American preseason team 2-deep has 4 CSU guys and 3 NDSU guys
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

bucs90 wrote:Just a footnote. The STATS All American preseason team 2-deep has 4 CSU guys and 3 NDSU guys
NDSU doesn't get as many guys on all-american or even all conference teams as you might think. NDSU is more about depth than star power. I think the game will be closer than some think. First game of the year, some early season mistakes, offense and defense are not yet fine tuned or at their peak. Hoping for a good game and a Bison victory.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
bucs90 wrote:Just a footnote. The STATS All American preseason team 2-deep has 4 CSU guys and 3 NDSU guys
NDSU doesn't get as many guys on all-american or even all conference teams as you might think. NDSU is more about depth than star power. I think the game will be closer than some think. First game of the year, some early season mistakes, offense and defense are not yet fine tuned or at their peak. Hoping for a good game and a Bison victory.
Yeah NDSU is a damn machine. When they get rolling...watch out. I think we can play NDSU about how Coastal and Furman did. Hang in there til the end and hope our 4th qtr goes better than theirs did. We do return 16 starters. We have a great D and add DE Gerald Turner who was a big time 4* recruit at South Carolina and transferred in (injured in 2015). We have in my opinion the best running back duo in the Southeast of FCS, maybe top 3 combo in All FCS in Hammond and Holloway.

I worry about NDSUs size. We've been able to stop the run vs bigger teams before. But I worry about generating a pass rush. We are replacing a couple LBs and play action could be a problem since we'll be keyed hard on stopping the running attack.

If to bet my house on predicting the score and I had to be within a 5 point margin for error??? I'd say NDSU 35 CSU 20. We need a couple turnovers, some helpful penalties.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

I also think the fact the game is a week earlier than normal....they lose 1 week of prep time. Defense is always ahead of offense in camp. I could see this being a defensive battle since both teams have great defenses and both are breaking in QBs who started part time in the past.

Let's agree on this. However the game goes.....I HOPE THERE'S A REMATCH IN THE WINTER!!!!!
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

The thing about the Fargodome is there is nowhere for the sound to go. Yes, 19K is a small crowd compared to the SEC, but those are all open air in expansive stadiums. The sound travels up. In a dome? It bounces right back to the field. Joe Flacco said the UNIDome was the loudest venue he's ever played in.

Other teams that didn't think the FargoDome would be that bad?

Montana - lost 37-6
Richmond - 33-7
SHSU- lost 35-3
CCU - lost twice...played better their SECOND trip to the Fargodome..the first trip was 48-14
New Hampshire - lost 52-14
Furman - lost 38-7
Georgia Southern - lost twice...the second trip was better but the first one was 35-7

Those are the playoff scores since 2010

Regular season games in the Fargodome for teams making their first trip?
42-6 over Lafayette
56-3 over St Francis
52-0 over Robert Morris
66-7 over PVAMU
56-10 over Ferris State
51-0 over Delaware State
25-0 over Incarnate Word
41-14 over Weber State
34-9 over North Dakota

Yes, CSU is better than that second list, but NDSU pulled their starters in the first half of every single one of those games.

Think what you want, but take it from a fan of the only team to have multiple wins over NDSU since they moved D1. Take it from a fan of a team that has won in Fargo a couple times. Take it from someone that has been to 4 different games in the FargoDome since they moved D1. You have no idea what the Fargodome will bring.

You think losing Wentz is going to cause issues? The guy Wentz replaced (Brock Jensen) was 47-5 as a starter. Turns out, that's the winningest quarterback in FCS history. He holds NDSU's career records for passing attempts, completions, yards, and total offense. He ended his career winning 24 straight games, including 3 FBS games. Turns out he only made first team all converence once, and never made anything better than 3rd team all america.

The guy replacing Wentz? Turns out he went 8-0 as a starter last year, 3-0 in the playoffs. He completed 62% of his passes and had a 3.25:1 TD:INT. In 10 apperances he ran 81 times for 539 yards...that's 6.7 YPC....when the mere 7 times he was sacked is taken out of it. Really, all of those numbers are in 8 games, as the two games he appeared in but didn't start he threw 2 total passes and carried the ball 3 times.

Yeah...I don't think NDSU gives a flying fuck about losing Wentz.

I like the optimism. It's just set for a big old cold bitch slap here in a couple weeks.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Not sure why you included us in that...I'm pretty sure most of the team was well aware of the environment going into the playoff game last year. :?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Incarnate was 58-0
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

clenz wrote:The thing about the Fargodome is there is nowhere for the sound to go. Yes, 19K is a small crowd compared to the SEC, but those are all open air in expansive stadiums. The sound travels up. In a dome? It bounces right back to the field. Joe Flacco said the UNIDome was the loudest venue he's ever played in.

Other teams that didn't think the FargoDome would be that bad?

Montana - lost 37-6
Richmond - 33-7
SHSU- lost 35-3
CCU - lost twice...played better their SECOND trip to the Fargodome..the first trip was 48-14
New Hampshire - lost 52-14
Furman - lost 38-7
Georgia Southern - lost twice...the second trip was better but the first one was 35-7

Those are the playoff scores since 2010

Regular season games in the Fargodome for teams making their first trip?
42-6 over Lafayette
56-3 over St Francis
52-0 over Robert Morris
66-7 over PVAMU
56-10 over Ferris State
51-0 over Delaware State
25-0 over Incarnate Word
41-14 over Weber State
34-9 over North Dakota

Yes, CSU is better than that second list, but NDSU pulled their starters in the first half of every single one of those games.

Think what you want, but take it from a fan of the only team to have multiple wins over NDSU since they moved D1. Take it from a fan of a team that has won in Fargo a couple times. Take it from someone that has been to 4 different games in the FargoDome since they moved D1. You have no idea what the Fargodome will bring.

You think losing Wentz is going to cause issues? The guy Wentz replaced (Brock Jensen) was 47-5 as a starter. Turns out, that's the winningest quarterback in FCS history. He holds NDSU's career records for passing attempts, completions, yards, and total offense. He ended his career winning 24 straight games, including 3 FBS games. Turns out he only made first team all converence once, and never made anything better than 3rd team all america.

The guy replacing Wentz? Turns out he went 8-0 as a starter last year, 3-0 in the playoffs. He completed 62% of his passes and had a 3.25:1 TD:INT. In 10 apperances he ran 81 times for 539 yards...that's 6.7 YPC....when the mere 7 times he was sacked is taken out of it. Really, all of those numbers are in 8 games, as the two games he appeared in but didn't start he threw 2 total passes and carried the ball 3 times.

Yeah...I don't think NDSU gives a flying **** about losing Wentz.

I like the optimism. It's just set for a big old cold bitch slap here in a couple weeks.
Its a loud mini dome. I went to a game at East Tennessee State in 96/97 when they were a playoff team. Their dome was loud as hell too. So is the SEC championship game.

All those huge wins....in my opinion....was because NDSU was just really really freaking good. Not because of the dome. When you say things like "you have no idea what you're walking into" it's a little over dramatic man. Yeah its gonna be real loud. And NDSU is as good as a lower tier SEC team. Highly favored. Not unbeatable.

At a certain point noise is just noise. You can wear ear plugs. I'd be more worried about extreme weather than extreme noise.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

Saying "you have no idea" or "you have no clue" what we're going into in Fargo...is just false and overly dramatic. We know.

It's gonna be f***ing LOUD. How loud? Can't be worse than Alabama or Georgia. But next closest thing.
They're gonna be f***ing good. How good? Better than Coastal/Citadel. Not as good as Alabama/UGA.
Its gonna suck.

We've played against both before. We have to play near perfect to have a shot.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

NDSU is usually good for one unexpected loss every year.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
NoDakBisman

Post by NoDakBisman »

Pwns wrote:NDSU is usually good for one unexpected loss every year.
Unexpected Losses can happen your right. But not the opener this year. This is the first opening home field game the Bison have had in many years, 7 or 8 years maybe more.... its kind of weird.
This is our toughest schedule I have seen for the Bison in 10 years all the way through the conference schedule.

Even playing CSU is a much better nonconference game then a small FCS school not in the top 30 so I like it and the quality of football will stay high which helps both teams.

The one obvious fact in the last 5 years is this,no team has ever won coming to the Fargo Dome to play the Bison for their first time that I can remember. Playoff teams coming here for their first time, can't handle it. Its so loud, and if the Bison get rolling, the crowd will bury you.

However if the Bucs have a lot of fire from getting to the qtr.finals last year, and they are itching to go further much like Coastal Carolina did after getting a taste of national recognition, then THAT is what they are going to have to rely on how BAD THEY want to make this game close.
Bison had Fire from qtr Finals in 2010 and they WANTED to get back and go the distance in 2011 and never look back so I would say on a neutral field the BUCs would have to play perfect, Bison commit turnovers, play a B game and maybe Bucs could win. But this team and culture is like no other then maybe Alabama or Ohio State, they RELOAD with the next man up to carry the torch, and the heart of these Bison players is off the chart.

It should be a good opening game for the first half.Most of us Bison Fans don't know much about your team so that makes it a little uncomfortable for us. If the Bison smell blood early, this game will be a blow out with the talent they have. But if its close going into half, then it will be interesting. This team could be 11-0 as I think they have more talent then the 2013 NDSU team who went 15-0 and won their 3rd title. That's from a true College Football Perspective not a homer fan. So you Buc Fans who can make it up here, welcome to the Northern Plains, enjoy Fargo, and especially the tailgating on the west side of the Fargo Dome, we are as good as any Big Ten or Big 12 Team. SEC is the BEST tailgaiting I think in the country from what I have seen.

Again, this will be a good first test for both teams, and I hope its a competitive game through out for us fans.

Be Herd,
NoDakBisman
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

NoDakBisman wrote:
Pwns wrote:NDSU is usually good for one unexpected loss every year.
Unexpected Losses can happen your right. But not the opener this year. This is the first opening home field game the Bison have had in many years, 7 or 8 years maybe more.... its kind of weird.
This is our toughest schedule I have seen for the Bison in 10 years all the way through the conference schedule.

Even playing CSU is a much better nonconference game then a small FCS school not in the top 30 so I like it and the quality of football will stay high which helps both teams.

The one obvious fact in the last 5 years is this,no team has ever won coming to the Fargo Dome to play the Bison for their first time that I can remember. Playoff teams coming here for their first time, can't handle it. Its so loud, and if the Bison get rolling, the crowd will bury you.

However if the Bucs have a lot of fire from getting to the qtr.finals last year, and they are itching to go further much like Coastal Carolina did after getting a taste of national recognition, then THAT is what they are going to have to rely on how BAD THEY want to make this game close.
Bison had Fire from qtr Finals in 2010 and they WANTED to get back and go the distance in 2011 and never look back so I would say on a neutral field the BUCs would have to play perfect, Bison commit turnovers, play a B game and maybe Bucs could win. But this team and culture is like no other then maybe Alabama or Ohio State, they RELOAD with the next man up to carry the torch, and the heart of these Bison players is off the chart.

It should be a good opening game for the first half.Most of us Bison Fans don't know much about your team so that makes it a little uncomfortable for us. If the Bison smell blood early, this game will be a blow out with the talent they have. But if its close going into half, then it will be interesting. This team could be 11-0 as I think they have more talent then the 2013 NDSU team who went 15-0 and won their 3rd title. That's from a true College Football Perspective not a homer fan. So you Buc Fans who can make it up here, welcome to the Northern Plains, enjoy Fargo, and especially the tailgating on the west side of the Fargo Dome, we are as good as any Big Ten or Big 12 Team. SEC is the BEST tailgaiting I think in the country from what I have seen.

Again, this will be a good first test for both teams, and I hope its a competitive game through out for us fans.

Be Herd,
NoDakBisman
Thanks man. That's a pretty good assessment of it. It's true, some home fields are just different. NDSU I'm sure is gonna be intense and probably unmatched in FCS.

Most people don't know much about us. We haven't been around long. Jumped from D3 to D1 overnight in 1991 I believe. Always been overlooked. Even in Charleston bc the Citadel is here. We aren't a "go to" program. Kids usually end up here because it didn't pan out elsewhere or they almost got the scholarship somewhere bigger but the school offered someone else. Our coaches aren't paid well so assistants come and go yearly. That's been our Achilles heel. Have always had good athletes just never got it to all come together.

Until now. We got it rolling.

I think you'll see our defense is slightly undersized but fast and swarming. Our RBs are excellent. We run the option out of shotgun pretty well. Our nickname fits us perfectly. Buccanneers. A hodge podge of guys in a crappy ship (stadium) but we fight hard and have a little chip on our shoudlers.

One thing unique to us I think is how hyped and up the team has gotten on the road in big environments. We don't have it at home (we get like 3k a game). So the players crave that big atmosphere. Only way to get it is on the road. We'll embrace the NDSU atmosphere. We might get beat badly but it'll be because the Bison are that damn good. Everyone I know who has been close to the CSU program has noted how the team LOVES the big hostile crowds. Almost like a WWF wrestling bad guy who thrives on the boos haha!

I know we'll be a better team win or lose after this game. And hey man....I only hope that this is game 1 of a 2 game series this season for CSU and NDSU!!! Maybe we'll see yall again in December!

My prediction is still NDSU 35 CSU 20. Probably 35-13 late and CSU gets a late score to close it a bit. Hoping we can pull the big upset. But being realistic here.
BigSouthJunkie

Post by BigSouthJunkie »

What a lot of people up North are failing to realize is that all these weight and height numbers don't really mean as much as they think it does. We've watched NDSU v. Coastal, we've watched NDSU v. Jax St, we're well aware of the dominant force that NDSU is. The reason that NDSU is favored and probably will win the game is that reason, they are a dominant and damn good football team. Believe it or not, for an option football team, CSU's offensive line is considered BIG! So those weight averages don't really mean a lot. They purposely don't get 300 pounders cause they can't run on the edge and do things option lineman need to do. CSU's D-Line is undersized but again its strategic. NDSU's coaching staff probably respects them more than the general "fan" does, and the "fan" will be very surprised at how strong and quick they are, quickest D-Line that NDSU will see all year. As for LB's, RB's, WR's, and DB's, size wise they all match up pretty similar, and CSU has probably the best RB trio in the nation including an All-American POY all-purpose RB in Hammond. Off of the strength of the FargoDome and just the fact that NDSU is a dominant football team, NDSU 38 CSU 21. NOT because of some "average weight" puhlease.