Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Withers to Texas State

Post by dbackjon »

CatMom wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
Probably true..
There's nothing wrong with swinging for the fences. Having said that, the admin used a lot of smoke and mirrors. If you watched the presser 1) Yes, Applewhite was approached but never interviewed. 2) We also learned Keeler was never approached, nor was Meachum. 3) Traylor from UT was approached but they scratched him off early. (I mean, it was 15 days from Fran resigning late to the hire). 4) Names were fed to the media but the Parker list wasn't revealed. There were numerous calls and interviews so no one except that committee knows, for certain, how many actually were. 5) How many schools get the very first guy on a "wish list?

Hi CM!!

Nothing wrong with swinging for the fences, and I think he is good hire for y'all.
:thumb:
CatMom
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Texas St & Tight Ends
A.K.A.: CatMILF

Post by CatMom »

Now I'll address the Defense issue. JMU is tearing Withers apart for their D. So let's put this in perspective. In FCS they finished 77th in overall D. I didn't do their overall for all of DI but I did ours. So you combine all of DI, that's 250 schools (excluding transitioning schools). If you take the overall Defense, TXST would rank 244th. In my mind, as Sly said, it can't get much worse.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

slycat wrote:After watching the presser for Withers, I am a fan. I can see why he got JMU back on track.

good to see ya, Sly!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

CatMom wrote:Now I'll address the Defense issue. JMU is tearing Withers apart for their D. So let's put this in perspective. In FCS they finished 77th in overall D. I didn't do their overall for all of DI but I did ours. So you combine all of DI, that's 250 schools (excluding transitioning schools). If you take the overall Defense, TXST would rank 244th. In my mind, as Sly said, it can't get much worse.
Combing the stats for all the I-A & I-AA teams is silly. Apples to oranges.

The thing is JMU probably had better Jimmies and Joes than every single team we played outside of SMU. Yet were at the bottom of the CAA defensively. Tx State won't have as good Jimmies and Joes as the majority of teams they play. HUGE difference. Withers won't be able to simply out talent and outscore people like he did at JMU. And that is most illustrated with the record: Withers was 16-1 vs I-AA non playoff teams, and 1-5 vs playoff teams. The only one of those 5 losses where the other team was on par talent wise was Villanova 14'. The other 4 losses 14' Liberty playoffs & this season W&M & UR & Colgate (playoffs) he was outcoached.

And as far as after several seasons having the majority of his own recruits, yeah Withers can recruit, but he goes from from top 2-3 in I-AA in salary, facilities, attendance, support to closer to the bottom of I-A. HUGE difference. Its not like Withers was some overachieving I-AA coach who did more with less like say the UNH, CSU, Colgate, Fordham, etc HCs. And Tx State is near the bottom of the totem pole in TX in terms of I-A recruits:
-TX A&M (SEC)
-TX (Big 12)
-Baylor (Big 12)
-TCU (Big 12)
-Tx Tech (Big 12)
-Houston (AAC)
-SMU (AAC)
-UTSA (C-USA)
-Rice (C-USA)
-UTEP (C-USA)
-N TX (C-USA)
-Tx St (Sun Belt)

Like another poster on the JMU board said, I'll be stunned if in 5 seasons he has more than 1 winning record/more than 1 bowl game. Its going to be his 1st and last (non interim) I-A HC job..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

So BDKJMU - were you advocating for his firing before this?

Was anyone wanting to dump him?

Was there a http://www.firewithers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; up?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote:So BDKJMU - were you advocating for his firing before this?

Was anyone wanting to dump him?

Was there a http://www.firewithers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; up?
Wasn't advocating for his firing, but wasn't happy either. Basically on the fence. Even though for most of the season 18 of 22 starters were Mickey Matthew's recruits, Withers appeared to be a very good recruiter (did get Vad Lee) and salesman, and JMU did land Gameday. But next year was going to be no Vad Lee, and another couple of seasons of making a watered down 24 team playoff field but not advancing (the ultimate judge of a I-AA HC is playoff wins) despite having all the advantages in the world, I would have been calling for his firing, along with plenty of others.

There is a thread on the JMU board about I-A coaching vacancies, and all these JMU poster Nov-Dec were worried about Withers getting hired by a G5. I didn't think it would happen without a deep playoff run, as most I-AA to I-A HC hires had had one. After the Colgate loss at home in the round of 16 (JMU was favored by 20, 2nd straight home playoff loss while being favored) I remember saying on that thread that you'all can quite worrying now, no G-5 is going to be dumb enough to hire him. Plenty of others echoed that. Oops..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote:
CatMom wrote:Now I'll address the Defense issue. JMU is tearing Withers apart for their D. So let's put this in perspective. In FCS they finished 77th in overall D. I didn't do their overall for all of DI but I did ours. So you combine all of DI, that's 250 schools (excluding transitioning schools). If you take the overall Defense, TXST would rank 244th. In my mind, as Sly said, it can't get much worse.

The thing is JMU probably had better Jimmies and Joes than every single team we played outside of SMU. Yet were at the bottom of the CAA defensively. Tx State won't have as good Jimmies and Joes as the majority of teams they play. HUGE difference. Withers won't be able to simply out talent and outscore people like he did at JMU. And that is most illustrated with the record: Withers was 16-1 vs I-AA non playoff teams, and 1-5 vs playoff teams. The only one of those 5 losses where the other team was on par talent wise was Villanova 14'. The other 4 losses 14' Liberty playoffs & this season W&M & UR & Colgate (playoffs) he was outcoached.

And as far as after several seasons having the majority of his own recruits, yeah Withers can recruit, but he goes from from top 2-3 in I-AA in salary, facilities, attendance, support to closer to the bottom of I-A. HUGE difference. Its not like Withers was some overachieving I-AA coach who have more with less like say the UNH, CSU, Colgate, Fordham, etc HCs. And Tx State is near the bottom of the totem pole in TX in terms of I-A recruits:
-TX A&M (SEC)
-TX (Big 12)
-Baylor (Big 12)
-TCU (Big 12)
-Tx Tech (Big 12)
-Houston (AAC)
-SMU (AAC)
-UTSA (C-USA)
-Rice (C-USA)
-UTEP (C-USA)
-N TX (C-USA)
-Tx St (Sun Belt)

Like another poster on the JMU board said, I'll be stunned if in 5 seasons he has more than 1 winning record/more than 1 bowl game. Its going to be his 1st and last (non interim) HC job..
With a halfway decent recruiter he'll very quickly have a better team than North Texas, UTEP, Rice, or UTSA.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:

And as far as after several seasons having the majority of his own recruits, yeah Withers can recruit, but he goes from from top 2-3 in I-AA in salary, facilities, attendance, support to closer to the bottom of I-A. HUGE difference. Its not like Withers was some overachieving I-AA coach who have more with less like say the UNH, CSU, Colgate, Fordham, etc HCs. And Tx State is near the bottom of the totem pole in TX in terms of I-A recruits:
-TX A&M (SEC)
-TX (Big 12)
-Baylor (Big 12)
-TCU (Big 12)
-Tx Tech (Big 12)
-Houston (AAC)
-SMU (AAC)
-UTSA (C-USA)
-Rice (C-USA)
-UTEP (C-USA)
-N TX (C-USA)
-Tx St (Sun Belt)

Like another poster on the JMU board said, I'll be stunned if in 5 seasons he has more than 1 winning record/more than 1 bowl game. Its going to be his 1st and last (non interim) HC job..
With a halfway decent recruiter he'll very quickly have a better team than North Texas, UTEP, Rice, or UTSA.
I could see the 1st 3 but why do you say UTSA also if they get a decent hew HC? They would seem to have the advantages of Alamodome, San Antonio (vs San Marcos), being part of the UT system (access to UT endowment $$?), being in the C-USA vs Sun Belt, etc..
CaseyOrourke
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: CaseyOrourke

Post by CaseyOrourke »

When North Texas was doing their coach search, they were looking for coaches with strong Texas ties so he could smooze easier with Texas' high school coaches. Which is why they weren't all that interested in SUU's Ed Lamb.
Why I love Chinese Women
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
I could see the 1st 3 but why do you say UTSA also if they get a decent hew HC? They would seem to have the advantages of Alamodome, San Antonio (vs San Marcos), being part of the UT system (access to UT endowment $$?), being in the C-USA vs Sun Belt, etc..
Alamodome isn't an advantage. TX State has a very nice on-campus facility while the Alamodome is about 10-12 miles from UTSA. UTSA is still almost strictly a commuter or non-traditional student school. Not much support for their athletic programs. San Marcos is strategically located almost exactly half way between Austin and San Antonio and is a great alternative for those kids who can't qualify to get into UT but still can get to downtown Austin and 6th street in about 30 minutes to party like rock stars.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CatMom
Level3
Level3

Post by CatMom »

Outside of The River Walk, San Antonio sucks.

As for those Apples and oranges on defense? We were 123 of 127. That's a hell of a lot worse than 77 out of 123. There was exactly 1 FCS team that gave up more ypg than us and only 4 in FBS. That's pathetic.

Fran also (reportedly) lost the team in OOC play. If nothing else, we have talented guys that didn't give a crap giving no effort. If Withers can get them in his camp I think we see a good, if not amazing, turnaround on our D. I'm not expecting miracles but anything in the top 100 D's is going to be huge.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Withers to Texas State

Post by clenz »

Or it could be Texas State was an average, at best, FCS program and that doesn't translate into wins at the FBS level

Unused to have the numbers but I believe Texas State only had 2 playoff appearances and were .500 or lower with pretty strong regularity
CatMom
Level3
Level3

Post by CatMom »

clenz wrote:Or it could be Texas State was an average, at best, FCS program and that doesn't translate into wins at the FBS level

Unused to have the numbers but I believe Texas State only had 2 playoff appearances and were .500 or lower with pretty strong regularity
Granted, that's fairly accurate but, since being officially FBS we went 6-6, 7-5,* then 3-9? Fran lost the team. Then, when your D goes from not so bad and 2 guys taken in the first 5 rounds (on D) with one of them having led FBS (if you exclude teams with championship or Bowl games) in tackles to not having an interception until game 11 (of 12) the next season; you know something's wrong. When you have your NFL prospect Olineman tweet that the team needs to get "Off the Square" on Tuesday nights and buy into the new coach; you know something's wrong.
You're right, we weren't a very good FCS team. Best days were in D2 but this move reinvigorated the goals and vision for the football program. Hopefully Withers can get it going in an upward trajectory. We appreciate Fran taking TXST from FCS to FBS but it needed an infusion of new blood. Talent is there. Now we just have to see if he's the guy to pull us out of the mire.

*1 - 6-6, left out of Bowl game
2 - 7-5, left out of Bowl games when 6-6 teams went

(The Square is in downtown San Marcos, lined with bars, a spit and throw from campus boundaries)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JMU Coaching Possibilities

Matt Jones, Publisher
A list of potential candidates for the vacant JMU head coaching job

HARRISONBURG — James Madison athletic director Jeff Bourne said last week that the school would be “quick” but “thorough” in its search for a new football coach.

The Dukes will have help, once again using the services of CarrSports Consulting to assist in the search. Speed in the process will be critical – national signing day is less than a month away.

The Dukes went off the radar to hire Everett Withers in 2013, one benefit of using a search firm. Bourne said that JMU will have no shortage of attractive candidates to pick from.

“I feel really good about where we are right now and I felt that way through the fall,” Bourne said. “You’re constantly getting a barometer on people interested in your program even when you don’t have an opening, but in the last day my phone locks down with people trying to say, ‘Yeah, I’m interested in being a JMU Duke.’ That’s a good thing.”

Whether JMU is looking for a coach with a background on the offensive or defensive side is unknown. Withers was making $580,000 at Ohio State as co-defensive coordinator before coming to Madison, but the Dukes became well-known for their high-powered offense during his two seasons.

Here are some potential candidates for the JMU job:

John DeFilippo: Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator

DeFilippo – a former James Madison quarterback – has spent most of his coaching career in the NFL with the Giants, Jets, Raiders and Browns. Now DeFilippo needs a new job – Cleveland head coach Mike Pettine was fired last week – and the 37-year-old is wasting no time trying to find one.

Cleveland.com reported that DeFilippo interviewed for the vacant head coaching position with the San Francisco 49ers and for the St. Louis Rams’ offensive coordinator job.

Despite the Browns' 3-13 record, DeFilippo’s pro-style offense produced some of the best statistics in team history. With a revolving door at quarterback – including the polarizing Johnny Manziel – the Browns threw for 4,155 yards, fourth-most in franchise history.

With his interest at an all-time high, it seems a longshot that DeFilippo – who expressed significant interest in the JMU opening two years ago – would go back to the college game.

Bobby Hauck: San Diego State special teams coordinator

Hauck, the former Montana coach, has plenty of FCS experience. Under his command, the Grizzlies won or shared seven straight Big Sky Conference championships, including a trip to the 2004 Division I-AA national championship game and the 2006 team to the I-AA semifinals.

His 2008 team defeated JMU 35-27 in Harrisonburg in the FCS semifinals.

Hauck left Montana in 2010 to become the head coach at UNLV. He was unsuccessful in his only FBS coaching stint, going 15-49 in five seasons at the helm. After resigning, he became the special teams coordinator at San Diego State in 2015.

His UNLV teams ran a pistol spread offense with limited success. The 51-year-old has extensive West Coast experience, but has never coached east of Colorado.

Rod Smith: University of Arizona co-offensive coordinator

The Franklin, W.Va., native did not get an interview last go around, despite the fact that he badly wanted the job.

The 42-year-old has been the co-offensive coordinator at Arizona under mentor Rich Rodriguez the past four years and previously had stops at Michigan and West Virginia.

This month, Smith turned down the offensive coordinator job at East Carolina. He makes $340,000 at Arizona, while JMU paid Withers $325,000.

Steve Spurrier Jr.: Former South Carolina co-offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach

Another coach currently looking for a job, Spurrier Jr. is the son of former South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier, who stepped down in October.

Though he held the co-offensive coordinator title, Spurrier Jr. did not call plays for the Gamecocks. He was also the team’s recruiting coordinator.

South Carolina struggled in the mighty SEC in 2015, finishing 3-9. Offense was its main issue: the Gamecocks averaged 362.2 yards per game, 99th in FBS.

Spurrier Jr., 44, was part of the coaching staff under his father at Florida in the late 1990s, orchestrating the Fun-N-Gun offense before working under Bob Stoops at Oklahoma as receivers coach, winning a national championship in 2000.

Bryan Stinespring: Former Virginia Tech tight ends coach

A 1986 graduate of JMU, Stinespring was on former Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer’s staff since 1990. When Justin Fuente retained only one offensive assistant – receivers coach Zohn Burden – Stinespring was out of a job.

Stinespring was offensive coordinator for the Hokies from 2002 through 2012, but lost his play-calling duties to Mike O’Cain late in that time. When O’Cain was fired after the 2012 season, Stinespring was reassigned to tight ends coach, while remaining recruiting coordinator.

The 52-year-old is regarded as an ace recruiter in the state, mining the fertile Hampton Roads region for most of his tenure with the Hokies.

Mike Yurcich: Oklahoma State offensive coordinator

Yurcich was on the short-list of candidates to be the next coach at Tulane this offseason, but was passed over for the job, ultimately given to former Georgia State coach Willie Fritz.

Yurcich has experience at the lower levels of college football – he was offensive coordinator at Division II Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania prior to arriving in Stillwater, Okla., in 2013.

The 39-year-old would bring the same uptempo offense JMU fans have become accustomed to. Since Yurcich's hiring in 2013, the Cowboys have averaged 39.1 points per game, scored 40 or more points six times and 50 or more points four times.

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy spoke to a group of reporters last month about Yurcich’s performance: “He is certainly is very intelligent and very creative. He has developed into what I would describe as a good teacher. He’s kind of a young and rising star in this profession.”
https://jamesmadison.n.rivals.com/news/ ... sibilities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

According to someone on the JMU board who apparently is friends with Defilippo the JMU AD & Flip had a phone conversation on Fri and Flip said thanks but no thanks. Too bad- he was apparently #2 to Withers 2+ years ago when he was an NFL QB coach. But that ship has sailed, as he's now an NFL OC interviewing for HC jobs...

Looks like its down to:
-Hauck
-Rod Smith
-Spurrier Jr
-Bryan Stinespring
-Mike Yurich
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

I saw Keeler's name pop up on the JMU board a few times, found that interesting.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote:According to someone on the JMU board who apparently is friends with Defilippo the JMU AD & Flip had a phone conversation on Fri and Flip said thanks but no thanks. Too bad- he was apparently #2 to Withers 2+ years ago when he was an NFL QB coach. But that ship has sailed, as he's now an NFL OC interviewing for HC jobs...

Looks like its down to:
-Hauck
-Rod Smith
-Spurrier Jr
-Bryan Stinespring
-Mike Yurich
"Sources tell Sports4 that Citadel HC Mike Houston will interview this weekend with James Madison. Initial contact made at coaches convention"
https://twitter.com/SEisbergWCIV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Houston took over at a terrible Lenoir Rhyne program and had them in the playoffs by his 2nd season and in the Div II NC game by his third. He then takes over at the Citadel and has them in the playoffs his 2nd season. That would be interesting. JMU running the triple option...
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

CSU's Chadwell also mentioned:
"Will JMU reach up or down for football coach?

............Two successful FCS coaches who have drawn JMU's interest are The Citadel's Mike Houston and Charleston Southern's Jamey Chadwell. Houston has 14 wins in two seasons at The Citadel, which shared the 2015 Southern Conference championship. Chadwell has been the Big South Conference's coach of the year twice in his three seasons with the Bucs, who went 10-3 this season and won the league title............"
http://www.richmond.com/sports/article_ ... 7f88e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote:Who is Withers?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote:CSU's Chadwell also mentioned:
"Will JMU reach up or down for football coach?

............Two successful FCS coaches who have drawn JMU's interest are The Citadel's Mike Houston and Charleston Southern's Jamey Chadwell. Houston has 14 wins in two seasons at The Citadel, which shared the 2015 Southern Conference championship. Chadwell has been the Big South Conference's coach of the year twice in his three seasons with the Bucs, who went 10-3 this season and won the league title............"
http://www.richmond.com/sports/article_ ... 7f88e.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't get the "down" reference when they're talking about coaches from other FCS programs.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:According to someone on the JMU board who apparently is friends with Defilippo the JMU AD & Flip had a phone conversation on Fri and Flip said thanks but no thanks. Too bad- he was apparently #2 to Withers 2+ years ago when he was an NFL QB coach. But that ship has sailed, as he's now an NFL OC interviewing for HC jobs...

Looks like its down to:
-Hauck
-Rod Smith
-Spurrier Jr
-Bryan Stinespring
-Mike Yurich
"Sources tell Sports4 that Citadel HC Mike Houston will interview this weekend with James Madison. Initial contact made at coaches convention"
https://twitter.com/SEisbergWCIV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Houston took over at a terrible Lenoir Rhyne program and had them in the playoffs by his 2nd season and in the Div II NC game by his third. He then takes over at the Citadel and has them in the playoffs his 2nd season. That would be interesting. JMU running the triple option...
According to Charleston beat writer he is at JMU today
https://twitter.com/Jeff_fromthePC/stat ... 0487824385" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hearing the same on JMU board from people at JMU.

From the Citadel board via the JMU board:
"I have received several indications this morning that Coach Houston has accepted the job at JMU."
http://dogfan1987.websitetoolbox.com/po ... mu-7893317" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;