Football Championship Subdivision discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 9-28

Post by kalm »

Jjoey52 wrote:I would like to know who the idiot was that made ISU's schedule. They get 4 road games in a row, no bye in between either. They had the bye opening week. They only have 11 games, which this year will probably be a good thing. And then after the 4 road games come home to play top team in league.

They have enough issues with terrible Qb play, and the defense melting down, and they have this ridiculous schedule hanging over them. I don't look for much out of them the rest of the way.
The A.D. makes the schedule typically with some input from the head coach.

The first two roads games are for $ which your budget needs. You're going to have a tough time scheduling FBS opponents past the first few weeks as they are heading into conference play as well.

The second pair of road games were set by the conference so you had no say.

Playing the top teams in the Big Sky once you return home is also set by the conference.

Everyone in Division 1 plays 11 games this year (teams playing @ Hawaii are the exception). That is set by the NCAA.

The only issue I have with your schedule is playing two FBS opponents. In a perfect scenario you play one money game, one OOC FCS opponent, and a DII to work on things. If you're good enough, the BSC SOS is sufficient to get an at-large bid or seed in the playoffs. But I'm guessing like many programs you need the money from two FBS opponents. At least one of them (UNLV) should have been winnable.

And you DO get 4 of the top BSC teams at home this year. :thumb:

Welcome to FCS scheduling, western style where you don't have a Patriot, Pioneer, SWAC, or NEC team around every bend.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

kalm wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:I would like to know who the idiot was that made ISU's schedule. They get 4 road games in a row, no bye in between either. They had the bye opening week. They only have 11 games, which this year will probably be a good thing. And then after the 4 road games come home to play top team in league.

They have enough issues with terrible Qb play, and the defense melting down, and they have this ridiculous schedule hanging over them. I don't look for much out of them the rest of the way.

The first two roads games are for $ which your budget needs. You're going to have a tough time scheduling FBS opponents past the first few weeks as they are heading into conference play as well.

Playing the top teams in the Big Sky once you return home is also set by the conference.

Everyone in Division 1 plays 11 games this year (teams playing @ Hawaii are the exception). That is set by the NCAA.

The only issue I have with your schedule is playing two FBS opponents. In a perfect scenario you play one money game, one OOC FCS opponent, and a DII to work on things. If you're good enough, the BSC SOS is sufficient to get an at-large bid or seed in the playoffs. But I'm guessing like many programs you need the money from two FBS opponents. At least one of them (UNLV) should have been winnable.

Welcome to FCS scheduling, western style where you don't have a Patriot, Pioneer, SWAC, or NEC team around every bend.
Still… Idaho State hasn't played an FCS team out-of-conference since 2008, which is ridiculous even with Big Sky scheduling difficulties.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

AZGrizFan wrote:
EWURanger wrote:
Well, I know...but there's really know other way to try and guess which team's are looking better than the next than this small sample size right now.
Maybe, but consider that MSU beat CP without CP's best linebacker; CP beat the Griz without the Griz best DT. Soooo.....if you really want to apply transitive theory....
I don't really buy that. Eastern has had circa-2011 level injuries this year through the first 4 games. 10 players who started the season against Oregon were out against Sac St. Yes, it definitely has had an impact, especially on defense, but the depth has to be there. If losing one or two guys has that much of an impact on a team, there's probably some depth issues.
Jjoey52
Level2
Level2

Post by Jjoey52 »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
kalm wrote:

Still… Idaho State hasn't played an FCS team out-of-conference since 2008, which is ridiculous even with Big Sky scheduling difficulties.
My point exactly, didn't even have 12 games scheduled. They usually play 2 d2 and 2 fbs bodybag games. They couldn't even get a 2nd d2 games this year.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Jjoey52 wrote:My point exactly, didn't even have 12 games scheduled. They usually play 2 d2 and 2 fbs bodybag games. They couldn't even get a 2nd d2 games this year.
I don't think you read all of kalm's post. ISU only has 11 games because they can't have more than that. FCS teams are only allowed to schedule 12 games in years where Labor Day falls on the 1st. or 2nd.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
kalm wrote:

Good catch MV. Thanks!
free7694
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Northern Colorado

Post by free7694 »

SuperHornet wrote:There's no way in heck Sac loses to UNC, but we'll STILL find a way to do it in such a way as to look like cr@p and drop like a rock in the Power Rankings. Our season is in the torlet. SMH....
Welp...
[Insert signature here.]
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

SuperHornet wrote:There's no way in heck Sac loses to UNC, but we'll STILL find a way to do it in such a way as to look like cr@p and drop like a rock in the Power Rankings. Our season is in the torlet. SMH....
Cue Hornet by that dreaded "torlet". :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

JALMOND wrote:
Cue Hornet by that dreaded "torlet". :lol:
Last night was a total embarrassment and an even worse indication of what is to come. Hold UNC to 6 points and less than 200 yards of offense and still find a way to lose. In half a season this program went from being competitive to dumpster fire. :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

So much for the conference clearing up anytime soon. :?
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

kalm wrote:So much for the conference clearing up anytime soon. :?
We're mirroring the Pac-12 pretty good this year. :lol: