Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Re: Big Sky Standings/Player Prediction Thread

Post by JALMOND »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
JALMOND wrote:
You got some inside information that McDonough is going to be the QB? Word is that it is a 4 player race after spring ball between McDonough, Penn, Kraght, and Kuresa. From insider Scott Hood...

http://psuvikingtales.com/spring-cleaning-quarterbacks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Three conference wins is a stretch, I'm thinking we will be lucky to get two (North Dakota and Southern Utah) if that. Western Oregon will be a tough one this year as well. But, having an interim coach with delusions of grandeur will no doubt make for an interesting season, for sure. May not win a single game, but it will be interesting.
Portland State has more talent than a lot of teams—I think there's more variance to how they'll end up than most any other squad here.

I assumed McDonagh would be the starter since he has been the last two years. At any rate: if whoever the QB is can be as good as McDonagh was as a Sophomore, the Viking offense could be one of the best in the league. PSU's passing game was awful last year, though.
Personally, I'd like to see McDonough be the starter, but the rumor is that he was Burton's guy. Barnum has been enamored with Kraght from Day 1. The wildcard is Kuresa, who played some QB at BYU his freshman year before going on his mission (when he got back, BYU wanted him at WR so he went to Snow JC). I just hope Barnum has finally learned that you aren't going to win in the Big Sky if you are still deciding on the QB position in November.
Beardown
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Northern Colorado
A.K.A.: BigSkyBears

Post by Beardown »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
  • 1. Montana _____________7-1_____9-2_____ Montana's defense = good; other Big Sky defenses = Stitt
    2. Eastern Washington__7-1_____8-3_____ The QB(s) aren't as good, but the Eags should still be in the playoffs
    3. Idaho State __________6-2_____8-3_____ Beating UNLV could be very important for the Bengals' postseason hopes
    4. Montana State _______6-2_____8-3_____ Not a bad record for the worst defense in the league
    5. Cal Poly _____________6-2_____7-4_____ A late playoff surge is possible if the 'Stangs can survive their first-half gauntlet
    6. Northern Arizona ____5-3_____6-5_____ Will the 'Jacks still stick with Kyren Poe even if the (new) other guy is better?
    7. Portland State_______ 3-5_____4-7_____ Can Kieran McDonagh return to his 2013 form?
    8. North Dakota ________3-5_____4-7_____ UND has excellent run D, but that's not the biggest factor in the pass-happy Big Sky
    9. Weber State__________3-5_____3-8_____ Seven straight years without a desperately needed non-DI opponent…
    10.UC Davis ___________ 2-6_____3-8_____ Ben Scott emerged as a good QB last year, but he doesn't have a ton of help
    11.Sacramento State ___ 2-6_____4-7 _____ Jody Sears was smart to sign a 3-year contract…
    12.Southern Utah _______1-7_____2-9_____ The T-Birds wasted a lot of defensive talent last year
    13.Northern Colorado___1-7_____3-8_____ The Bears were dumb to give Earnest Collins a 3-year extension…
If that's how things really shake out, and UNC does finish last in the conference, we need to get rid of Collins. There's no way we shouldn't finish around .500 with our weak schedule.
mtjack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NAU Lumberjacks!

Post by mtjack »

AZGrizFan wrote: NAU and CP rolled us last time out. I'm not looking at EITHER of them as an easy out until we put them back in their place.
I'll be less surprised if NAU beats the Griz this year than I was in 2012 and 2013. Having a new head coach, a new system and a new quarterback is a lot to overcome in Missoula. The defense has a chance of carrying your team, though.

Didn't Griz fans wanted the rest of the conference to get their shiz together to make the conference more competitive? EWU, Cal Poly, NAU, MSU and ISU have all done that. Where's that vaunted Griz fan gratitude and graciousness in other team's making the Griz work for it?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

mtjack wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: NAU and CP rolled us last time out. I'm not looking at EITHER of them as an easy out until we put them back in their place.
I'll be less surprised if NAU beats the Griz this year than I was in 2012 and 2013. Having a new head coach, a new system and a new quarterback is a lot to overcome in Missoula. The defense has a chance of carrying your team, though.

Didn't Griz fans wanted the rest of the conference to get their shiz together to make the conference more competitive? EWU, Cal Poly, NAU, MSU and ISU have all done that. Where's that vaunted Griz fan gratitude and graciousness in other team's making the Griz work for it?
Yes. Problem was it happened at the same time as the Griz suffered their worst stretch in 30 years. So, did the REST of the conference get that much better, or did the Griz just get that much worse?

I don't mind having a couple challengers to the crown each year...but when that challenger is IS-fucking-U (wait...that didn't sound right)....well that's just not right.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
mtjack wrote:

Yes. Problem was it happened at the same time as the Griz suffered their worst stretch in 30 years. So, did the REST of the conference get that much better, or did the Griz just get that much worse?

I don't mind having a couple challengers to the crown each year...but when that challenger is IS-fucking-U (wait...that didn't sound right)....well that's just not right.
Well then hurry up. It would be nice having another member get out of the 2nd round.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

AZGrizFan wrote:
mtjack wrote:

I'm not sure the conference is any better at the top than it was in the 2000-aughts, but it does seem a lot deeper.
Catattack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: MSU

Post by Catattack »

MSU's D got better the day they promoted Kane Ioane to D.Coord. They won't be great. They could be good(BSC standards), but they won't be worse than last year.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

kalm wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
All 3 levels of D?
My bad. Thought you lost a lb but that was Tripp and Coyle last year.

Still... :coffee:
Still what? Better than anything the rest of the conference has to offer?

Now you're on to something!
grizinidaho
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: The Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: dupuyer griz

Post by grizinidaho »

kalm wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
Right. Also, keep in mind the Griz return several key players they didn't have last year.
Who else besides Henderson?
Schmaing on the OL Naccaratto WR Counts RB another WR that I can't remember to name a few.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

kalm wrote:
Mvemjsunpx wrote:
Right. Also, keep in mind the Griz return several key players they didn't have last year.
Who else besides Henderson?
Chase Naccarato
John Schmaing (anchor of the OL)
Caleb Kidder (form MT Gatorade POY)

And Jamal Wilson was switched from FB to DT with apparently promising results in spring.
Beardown
Level1
Level1

Post by Beardown »

Catattack wrote:MSU's D got better the day they promoted Kane Ioane to D.Coord. They won't be great. They could be good(BSC standards), but they won't be worse than last year.
You think Laone will be head coach material some day? I'm hoping and praying that the day UNC fires Collins, he will get a phone call for an interview. Would love to see him be the head coach in Greeley.
Catattack
Level1
Level1

Post by Catattack »

Beardown wrote:
You think Laone will be head coach material some day? I'm hoping and praying that the day UNC fires Collins, he will get a phone call for an interview. Would love to see him be the head coach in Greeley.
Yes. The day after Ash retires.
Beardown
Level1
Level1

Post by Beardown »

Catattack wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Yes. The day after Ash retires.
He's got a while before that happens. I think there will be a vacancy in Greeley before Ash is gone in Bozeman. No doubt he would rather be w/ MSU though.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SDHornet wrote:
GoAgs72 wrote:SDHornet is a lot more realistic than SuperHornet. UC Davis Aggies will vary from maybe a low of three wins to at most six wins. I'm predicting a 5-6 record optimistically but I've been disappointed by the Aggies multiple times in the recent past.
It's not officially football season until SH predicts an 11-0 season for the Hornets...oh look, it's officially football season.

:nod:
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote:
mtjack wrote:

You mean the team that won a NC decades before Montana did :ugeek:
:thumb:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

dbackjon wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

You mean the team that won a NC decades before Montana did :ugeek:
True, I guess that's better than a team that equates beating the Griz or making the playoffs with winning the Super Bowl. :kisswink:
Catattack
Level1
Level1

Post by Catattack »

Beardown wrote:
He's got a while before that happens. I think there will be a vacancy in Greeley before Ash is gone in Bozeman. No doubt he would rather be w/ MSU though.
Ashes contract ends in June '16.
Beardown
Level1
Level1

Post by Beardown »

Catattack wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Ashes contract ends in June '16.
But how high is the bar? The Bobcats consistently win, but not in the playoffs. Do you think that will keep him around?
Catattack
Level1
Level1

Post by Catattack »

This is just my opinion, but if he doesn't beat the Griz and make a strong run in the playoffs, I could see his job being in jeopardy. He has gotten extensions the past couple contracts and he didn't get one yet.

If he did leave. They would probably do a national search and Kane,along with Cramsey, would be interviewed for head coach.
Beardown
Level1
Level1

Post by Beardown »

Catattack wrote:This is just my opinion, but if he doesn't beat the Griz and make a strong run in the playoffs, I could see his job being in jeopardy. He has gotten extensions the past couple contracts and he didn't get one yet.

If he did leave. They would probably do a national search and Kane,along with Cramsey, would be interviewed for head coach.

Well, at least the bar is set high. If we win two games this season, our a.d. will be kissing the ground Collins walks on. :thumbdown:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Grizalltheway wrote:
kalm wrote:
My bad. Thought you lost a lb but that was Tripp and Coyle last year.

Still... :coffee:

Chase Naccarato

And Jamal Wilson was switched from FB to DT with apparently promising results in spring.
Well shit...

I guess the likes of

Cassidy Curtis RT 6'7" 305 Senior
TJ Boatwright C 6'5" 290 Senior
Aaron Neary 6'4" LG Senior
Clay Debord LT 6'6" 305 Senior
Thomas Gomez RG 6'3" 295 Junior

Cooper Kupp 16 TD's
Shaq Hill 53 R's, 5 TD's
Kendrick Bourne 52 R's, 10 TD's

Jabari Wilson (230 yards and 2 TD's in two games filling in for Forte)
Jalen Moore (132 yards and 3 TD's in one game starting for Forte)

Samson Ebukam 7.5 sacks, 15 TFL's, and two blocked kicks.

And some other guys you've never heard of like Miquiyah Zamora, Todd Raines, Victor Gamboa, and some more dudes I've barely even heard of...

might as well hang up the cleets and call it quits.

:roll:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

kalm wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:

Chase Naccarato

Well shit...

I guess the likes of

Cooper Kupp 16 TD's
Shaq Hill 53 R's, 5 TD's

And some other guys you've never heard of like Miquiyah Zamora, Todd Raines, Victor Gamboa, and some more dudes I've barely even heard of...

Easy BDK. I was referring specifically to the D-line/defense, then went on a tangent to answer your question about missing players who are back. :geek:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Grizalltheway wrote:
kalm wrote:

Well shit...

I guess the likes of

Cooper Kupp 16 TD's
Shaq Hill 53 R's, 5 TD's

Easy BDK. I was referring specifically to the D-line/defense, then went on a tangent to answer your question about missing players who are back. :geek:
My bad, but that's a low blow to strike, Grizcountry420. :tothehand:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

kalm wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: Easy BDK. I was referring specifically to the D-line/defense, then went on a tangent to answer your question about missing players who are back. :geek:
My bad, but that's a low blow to strike, Grizcountry420. :tothehand:
:lol:

True, twas a bit harsh. But, much like the Griz, I'm on a mission (from God) to put the rest of the conference back in its place.

Beardown
Level1
Level1

Post by Beardown »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
  • 1. Montana _____________7-1_____9-2_____ Montana's defense = good; other Big Sky defenses = Stitt
    2. Eastern Washington__7-1_____8-3_____ The QB(s) aren't as good, but the Eags should still be in the playoffs
    3. Idaho State __________6-2_____8-3_____ Beating UNLV could be very important for the Bengals' postseason hopes
    4. Montana State _______6-2_____8-3_____ Not a bad record for the worst defense in the league
    5. Cal Poly _____________6-2_____7-4_____ A late playoff surge is possible if the 'Stangs can survive their first-half gauntlet
    6. Northern Arizona ____5-3_____6-5_____ Will the 'Jacks still stick with Kyren Poe even if the (new) other guy is better?
    7. Portland State_______ 3-5_____4-7_____ Can Kieran McDonagh return to his 2013 form?
    8. North Dakota ________3-5_____4-7_____ UND has excellent run D, but that's not the biggest factor in the pass-happy Big Sky
    9. Weber State__________3-5_____3-8_____ Seven straight years without a desperately needed non-DI opponent…
    10.UC Davis ___________ 2-6_____3-8_____ Ben Scott emerged as a good QB last year, but he doesn't have a ton of help
    11.Sacramento State ___ 2-6_____4-7 _____ Jody Sears was smart to sign a 3-year contract…
    12.Southern Utah _______1-7_____2-9_____ The T-Birds wasted a lot of defensive talent last year
    13.Northern Colorado___1-7_____3-8_____ The Bears were dumb to give Earnest Collins a 3-year extension…
I agree that it was dumb to give him a contract extension, it isn't for 3 years, rather it is for 2. It also has a termination clause in it; I believe usually those have some sort of benchmark as far as total wins for a season that the team must achieve.