PSUVikings
I am a fan of: Portland State

Portland State has new helmets and uniforms

Post by PSUVikings »

http://www.goviks.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=2911
Release
8/7/2007
Viking Football Introduces New Uniforms And Logo

DT Casey Tyler, WR Tremayne Kirkland and LB Jordan Senn the Vikings' new uniforms.

PSU's new helmet design

The new spear logo

Jerry Glanville speaks at media day

Todd Van Horne of Nike
Portland State's new look was introduced at Football Media Day Tuesday, as the Vikings showed off their new uniforms and football logo, all designed by Nike.

PSU Head Coach Jerry Glanville spoke to more than 60 members of the media and spectators at the introductory press conference. Glanville expressed his appreciation to Nike for a vast improvement over an original design of his.

"When Nike presented their new look, I realized I may be in the wrong business designing uniforms," said Glanville. "We put their uniform next to (the one Glanville and PSU equipment manager Rick McReynolds) designed, and it was no contest. The players all voted for the Nike uniform."

"Nike just really did a great job. They've got a much better feel for what the players want than I do," Glanville said. "What happened to the uniforms we designed? They're on ebay now. You can get them for about a $1.50."

Todd Van Horne, Creative Director for Nike, led a team that created the stylized and Viking-inspired spear logo and uniforms. The Viking uniforms lean heavily toward Glanville's favored black color scheme, while the helmets will have the new spear logo running over the crown.

"When Coach (Glanville) came to town it was an opportunity for inspiration," Van Horne said to the media. "We (at Nike) huddled together and said 'there's energy here'. We needed to bring that energy very visually to the field. So we came down, had a nice conversation with coach and said 'hey, we've got a different point of view.'

"Coach describes black as not a color but an attitude, and we thought 'well, there it is.' Let's bring a new attitude and show a visual difference where Portland State University is now," said Van Horne. "I think you will see the very distinct difference of color, and the distinct difference of spear design that is much more aggressive, fitting into that new attitude."

The spear logo, created by Nike, will serve as a secondary logo for the football program. Portland State's current logo - also developed by a Nike employee - will remain as the main athletics logo.

Portland State's media day came after the second "Breakfast With Jerry" morning practice of the preseason. The Vikings will practice Wednesday through Saturday from 7-9 a.m. on Stott Community Field.
PSUVikings, PSUFansForum.BigSkyFans.com Admin
MrTitleist
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Portland State has new helmets and uniforms

Post by MrTitleist »

That's..... interesting. It's an interesting idea with the helmet, but I think ultimately it's going to look like a black helmet with nothing on it. Uni's aren't TOO much different than the older ones.
ImageImageImageImageImage
xtremegriz
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by xtremegriz »

I could care less about the uni's but those helms are AWESOME!!!
MONTANA MONTANA STATE
Fresno St. Alum
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: poontang
A.K.A.: Rainman

Post by Fresno St. Alum »

damn Glanville f*cked up another team's uni & helmet. Looks like the 1960's redskins helmet with the feather down the middle. All these damn schools swtiching to black. I liked that viking on the link on the top right side.