Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

UNC at #2 EWU Game Thread

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

ImageImage
Northern Colorado Bears (2-4, 1-2 BSC) at #2 Eastern Washington Eagles (6-1, 3-0 BSC)

Saturday, Oct. 18, 2014 • 1:05 p.m. Pacific
Roos Field (8,600) • Cheney, Wash.
TV: Televised live regionally by SWX
Radio: 700 ESPN (EWU)
Webcast: www.watchbigsky.com

Athletics: UNCBears.com | GoEags.com
Twitter: @unc_bears | @ewuathletics
Fan Forums: Big Sky Fans - UNC Bears | EWU Redzone

Series: EWU leads 8-1
Last Meeting: 2011 - EWU won 48-27 in Cheney, WA
Nothing ever comes easy in the Big Sky Conference.

The second-ranked Eastern Washington University football team hosts a Northern Colorado team on the upswing when the two teams play in front of a sold-out crowd Saturday (Oct. 18) at 1:05 p.m. Pacific time at Roos Field in Cheney, Wash. The Bears lead the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision in interceptions and are second nationally in turnover margin.

The Eagles put their 13-game league winning streak on the line this week, having not lost since falling 30-27 at SUU on Oct. 27, 2012. The Eagles are 23-2 in their last 25 Big Sky games dating back to a 0-2 start in 2011. Eastern is also 6-0 all-time against UNC in Big Sky games by an average score of 30-13.

The Eagles enter the game 6-1 on the season and remain ranked second in The Sports Network FCS Top 25 Poll after a 42-30 victory against Southern Utah in Cedar City, Utah. Eastern is 3-0 in the Big Sky Conference as it defends the league title it won with an 8-0 record last season.

The Bears, meanwhile, picked up one of its biggest victories in years when they knocked off then 25th-ranked Northern Arizona 24-17 on Oct. 4. Northern Colorado, which is now 2-4 overall and 1-2 in the league, then narrowly lost at home 43-38 versus Sacramento State, which at one time this season was an impressive 3-1.

With 14 interceptions this season, the Bears lead FCS and are second nationally in turnover margin with a plus 1.83 for the season (total of 18 takeaways and just six giveaways). Kyle Griffin is third in FCS with an average of 0.7 interceptions per game (total of 4).

“They beat a good NAU team and they play with tremendous passion,” said Eastern head coach Beau Baldwin. “They create turnovers and it will be an absolute battle. All of our games will be a battle, but it will be nice to come back home after a road win.”
http://goeags.com/sports/m-footbl/2014- ... fbOct13UNC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wedgebuster
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNC BEARS
A.K.A.: OB55

Re: UNC at #2 EWU Game Thread

Post by Wedgebuster »

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:Nothing ever comes easy in the Big Sky Conference.

The second-ranked Eastern Washington University football team hosts a Northern Colorado team on the upswing
:roll: Northern Iowa sure wished it had it so hard every week.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

89Hen wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:Nothing ever comes easy in the Big Sky Conference.

The second-ranked Eastern Washington University football team hosts a Northern Colorado team on the upswing
:roll: Northern Iowa sure wished it had it so hard every week.
I thought you said the MFVC was a bigger one trick pony than the Big Sky? :coffee:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Grizalltheway wrote:
89Hen wrote: :roll: Northern Iowa sure wished it had it so hard every week.
I thought you said the MFVC was a bigger one trick pony than the Big Sky? :coffee:
This doesn't dispute that fact. Only shows how ludicrous the comment above trying to prop up UNC as anything but a cupcake is. Would you take UNC +14?
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

89Hen wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
This doesn't dispute that fact. Only shows how ludicrous the comment above trying to prop up UNC as anything but a cupcake is. Would you take UNC +14?
No, but when you have a ball-hawking defense going up against a pass-happy offense with an inexperienced QB at the helm, things could get interesting.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by EWURanger »

Grizalltheway wrote:
89Hen wrote: This doesn't dispute that fact. Only shows how ludicrous the comment above trying to prop up UNC as anything but a cupcake is. Would you take UNC +14?
No, but when you have a ball-hawking defense going up against a pass-happy offense with an inexperienced QB at the helm, things could get interesting.
You must have missed where EWU had two backs go over 130 yards each in West's first start. I expect a similar game plan againat UNC.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

EWURanger wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
You must have missed where EWU had two backs go over 130 yards each in West's first start. I expect a similar game plan againat UNC.
I didn't miss that, but I also saw that it was against the 119th ranked rushing D in the country. ;)

And by pass happy, I didn't mean that they can't run the ball at all, but they do average 38 pass attempts/game.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

Grizalltheway wrote:
EWURanger wrote:
I didn't miss that, but I also saw that it was against the 119th ranked rushing D in the country. ;)

And by pass happy, I didn't mean that they can't run the ball at all, but they do average 38 pass attempts/game.
Montana's DI opponents to date average something like 17 ppg. Must mean Montana's defense is over-rated.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

EWURanger wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:

Montana's DI opponents to date average something like 17 ppg. Must mean Montana's defense is over-rated.
Possibly, but this thread isn't about Montana. All I said is that UNC's penchant for picks could be factor in a game that is otherwise a mismatch.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

Grizalltheway wrote:
EWURanger wrote:
Possibly, but this thread isn't about Montana. All I said is that UNC's penchant for picks could be factor in a game that is otherwise a mismatch.
Well yes, it could. I wouldn't be surprised to see a young QB throw a pick or two. I still think we will run, a lot. Against SUU it was 2 running plays to every pass.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Grizalltheway wrote:
EWURanger wrote:
I agree with this. While the conference appears down, it seems like everyone you face brings a serious threat. I was very impressed with SUU's passing game last week. UND can "D" it up. ISU is dangerous. Even Davis limited our first half possessions to three and only trailed by two at half. Five years ago, these were games you wouldn't sweat in the least.
Beardown
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Northern Colorado
A.K.A.: BigSkyBears

Post by Beardown »

Why are you starting a thread two days before the game even starts?
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

Beardown wrote:Why are you starting a thread two days before the game even starts?
Why not?
Beardown
Level1
Level1

Post by Beardown »

EWURanger wrote:
Beardown wrote:Why are you starting a thread two days before the game even starts?
Why not?
it's most likely not going to be a great game. Who's really anticipating this matchup?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Beardown wrote:
EWURanger wrote:
Why not?
it's most likely not going to be a great game. Who's really anticipating this matchup?
You don't have to read the thread. Why do you care so much?
Screamin_Eagle174
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Peaches
A.K.A.: SE174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 »

This is a forum, right? You know, a place where people discuss things. Are we not allowed to discuss the upcoming game?
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

Found an avatar for ya BSB.

EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

Beardown wrote:
EWURanger wrote:
Why not?
I think it will be an interesting game. Interesting for us, because we are without the front-runner for the Payton Award and have a backup QB starting only his second game. UNC has a lot of takeaways...
Beardown
Level1
Level1

Post by Beardown »

EWURanger wrote:
Beardown wrote:
I think it will be an interesting game. Interesting for us, because we are without the front-runner for the Payton Award and have a backup QB starting only his second game. UNC has a lot of takeaways...
Honestly I don't think we have one player, maybe besides Dominick Sierra (our outside LB) that could start for the Eagles. We're not even close to EWU, UM, MSU's level right now. Granted, anything could happen in todays game.
EWURanger
Supporter
Supporter

Post by EWURanger »

Beardown wrote:
EWURanger wrote:
Honestly I don't think we have one player, maybe besides Dominick Sierra (our outside LB) that could start for the Eagles. We're not even close to EWU, UM, MSU's level right now. Granted, anything could happen in todays game.
Yep, I figured the Bears would come to play today, and they did. Our offense is really struggling without VA, but it was nice to see the defense show up. Think they got 7 sacks today.
Beardown
Level1
Level1

Post by Beardown »

EWURanger wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Yep, I figured the Bears would come to play today, and they did. Our offense is really struggling without VA, but it was nice to see the defense show up. Think they got 7 sacks today.
Yep. Our offensive line is god-aweful. On our first field goal one of our linemen completely missed a block that would have lead to a TD, rather than a FG. That stuff is the kind of junk I was hoping UNC would be done with. SMH.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Grizalltheway wrote:
89Hen wrote: This doesn't dispute that fact. Only shows how ludicrous the comment above trying to prop up UNC as anything but a cupcake is. Would you take UNC +14?
Should have taken the points and the bet. ;)
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

89Hen wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
Should have taken the points and the bet. ;)
Dammit all! :lol: I think you should send me some DFH anyway. 8-)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: Possibly, but this thread isn't about Montana. All I said is that UNC's penchant for picks could be factor in a game that is otherwise a mismatch.
I agree with this. While the conference appears down, it seems like everyone you face brings a serious threat. I was very impressed with SUU's passing game last week. UND can "D" it up. ISU is dangerous. Even Davis limited our first half possessions to three and only trailed by two at half. Five years ago, these were games you wouldn't sweat in the least.
FIVE? Hell, last year we beat UND 55-17. This year? 18-15 on a FG as time expired. Last year we beat UCD 42-7 in a game that was over by halftime. This year--IN MISSOULA--we were tied at halftime and a late TD by us made the score look worse than it actually was.

I take NO team for granted at this point.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12