Non-Scholarship FCS team beats an 85-scholly FBS team! What?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
bucs90
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Charleston Southern

Non-Scholarship FCS team beats an 85-scholly FBS team! What?

Post by bucs90 »

Someone on this forum was ripping an FCS school for struggling with non-scholarship Campbell, saying NO TEAM should EVER struggle with a lower level team, or a non-scholarship team. Many of us, me included, argued that sometimes weird stuff happens. Sometimes lower level or non-scholly teams play up a level.

Well, 85 scholarship West Point of the FBS division....just lost to non-scholarship Yale. :ohno:
[img] http://www.csusports.com/sports/fball/2 ... 325380900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[img]
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Re: Non-Scholarship FCS team beats an 85-scholly FBS team! W

Post by Col Hogan »

West Point offers 0 football scholarships...the tuition is $0...

"Three service academy football teams compete at the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision level in college football. They are the United States Military Academy, known as Army, the United States Naval Academy, or Navy, and the United States Air Force Academy, or Air Force. Army and Navy compete as independents, meaning they are not a member of a Football Bowl Subdivision conference. Air Force plays in the Mountain West Conference, where it competed against several nonmilitary colleges. Navy football coach Ken Niumatalolo notes that service academies are not saddled with the scholarship limits of 25 per season and 85 per team that other Division I programs follow. In fact, the Division I service academy teams usually carry well over 100 to 120 players each. Niumatalolo notes that all players who are admitted to the academies receive a full scholarship.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8017915_footba ... ships.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still, a good win for Yale...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Col Hogan wrote:West Point offers 0 football scholarships...
so.. A non scholly beat a non scholly...

Dude, bucs90,face it. Your team isn't nearly as good as you think it is and the Campbell game was a terrible showing, at best, for csu
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

They can bring in 125 players for free. Its why this game was cancelled twice before, because the NCAA wouldn't grant a waiver since Army is considered an 85-scholarship FBS school. FBS doesn't care how you word it. You can bring in 85 players for 0 cost of attendance. Service academies bring in 125, because they just don't charge attendance. Yales players have to pay tuition. Army's do not. That's 100 walk-ons vs 100 free riders no matter how you wanna word it.

It was discussed on this forum: http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... =4&t=41228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And in this article: http://www.nhregister.com/sports/201409 ... ust-a-game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Never claimed my team was any better than it is. We are blessed to get ranked 25th. We aren't as good as Coastal or the other top 20 teams. Not yet. We are better than The Citadel.

But sometimes, lower level teams with fewer or no scholarships...DO jump up and catch a team off guard. Just like Yale did today vs Army.
Last edited by bucs90 on Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img] http://www.csusports.com/sports/fball/2 ... 325380900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[img]
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Oh please. Ivy League football players get better financial aid packages than students at so-called scholarship schools. Don't believe the bullshit about non-scholarship.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/23/sport ... d=all&_r=0
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

And Army is a scholarship school. Every student is on full scholarship. If I'm not giving Yale a pass on that bullshit I'm not doing it for Army either.
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: The McManus Brothers
A.K.A.: Duffman

Post by BlueHen86 »

bucs90 wrote:They can bring in 85 players for free. Its why this game was cancelled twice before, because the NCAA wouldn't grant a waiver since Army is considered an 85-scholarship FBS school. FBS doesn't care how you word it. You can bring in 85 players for 0 cost of attendance. Yales players have to pay tuition. Army's do not.

It was discussed on this forum: http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/ ... =4&t=41228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And in this article: http://www.nhregister.com/sports/201409 ... ust-a-game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Never claimed my team was any better than it is. We are blessed to get ranked 25th. We aren't as good as Coastal or the other top 20 teams. Not yet. We are better than The Citadel.

But sometimes, lower level teams with fewer or no scholarships...DO jump up and catch a team off guard. Just like Yale did today vs Army.
It's not free. They have to serve in the Army once they graduate, that is a heck of a requirement and it discourages much of the top football talent from attending.

Poor students can attend Yale for free, and they don't have any obligation once they are done.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

93henfan wrote:Oh please. Ivy League football players get better financial aid packages than students at so-called scholarship schools. Don't believe the bullshit about non-scholarship.

That's actually a great point. The Ivy League schools actually let students whose mom or daddy make under 65K go for FREE through the 100% grant process.

BUT, these Ivy schools are trying to stop playing Patriot League schools b/c PL now offers scholarships, and Ivy is trying to act holier-than-thou about the "non scholarship" nonsense. They want to play only OOC teams whose kids pay tuition, while most of their kids don't pay a dime.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

Well, all that said....great win by Yale.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

bucs90 wrote:Well, all that said....great win by Yale.
Army sucks, but yes. :thumb:
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

bucs90 wrote:
93henfan wrote:Oh please. Ivy League football players get better financial aid packages than students at so-called scholarship schools. Don't believe the bullshit about non-scholarship.

That's actually a great point. The Ivy League schools actually let students whose mom or daddy make under 65K go for FREE through the 100% grant process.

BUT, these Ivy schools are trying to stop playing Patriot League schools b/c PL now offers scholarships, and Ivy is trying to act holier-than-thou about the "non scholarship" nonsense. They want to play only OOC teams whose kids pay tuition, while most of their kids don't pay a dime.
Also incorrect. Most (if not all) financial aid is need based, if you come from a wealthy family you are paying to attend.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

BlueHen86 wrote:
bucs90 wrote:

Also incorrect. Most (if not all) financial aid is need based, if you come from a wealthy family you are paying to attend.
Yep. I believe the article I linked said that the kids from richer families must pay 10-18% of their annual income.
BlueHen86
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BlueHen86 »

93henfan wrote:
BlueHen86 wrote:
Yep. I believe the article I linked said that the kids from richer families must pay 10-18% of their annual income.
You fill out the FAFSA form; the resulting estimated contribution is what you pay, the school covers the rest.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re:

Post by CID1990 »

clenz wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:West Point offers 0 football scholarships...
so.. A non scholly beat a non scholly...

Dude, bucs90,face it. Your team isn't nearly as good as you think it is and the Campbell game was a terrible showing, at best, for csu
Lookit,

His team just won their Super Bowl for the second time in a row. Lightning struck for him and he's got diarrhea of the mouth as a result.

I apologize on behalf of The Citadel. If we had played well enough to beat them you would not be subjected to this, but it is what it is.

Once CSU misses the playoffs this year maybe you'll hear less out of him.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

This is why the Confederacy can't have nice things.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

93henfan wrote:This is why the Confederacy can't have nice things.
lol

And you thought Citdog was a bugaboo
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Re: Re:

Post by bucs90 »

CID1990 wrote:
clenz wrote:

Once CSU misses the playoffs this year maybe you'll hear less out of him.
You guys beat us to that this year!
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

bucs90 wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Really, Corky?

We haven't even played a SoCon game yet.
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

CID1990 wrote:
bucs90 wrote:
Really, Corky?

We haven't even played a SoCon game yet.
Oh forgot. SoCon is a step down from the Big South. Yall might finish 4th in the Big South. But yeah, you may win the SoCon :clap: ì
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

And csu would finish 10th in the mvfc
bucs90
Level2
Level2

Post by bucs90 »

clenz wrote:And csu would finish 10th in the mvfc
Yep, probably would, glad we don't play in the MVFC. That's why I stick mostly to talking with teams we play.
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

bucs90 wrote:
clenz wrote:And csu would finish 10th in the mvfc
Yep, probably would, glad we don't play in the MVFC. That's why I stick mostly to talking with teams we play.
Yep, probably would, glad we don't play in the MVFC. That's why I stick mostly to talking at teams we play.

FIFY
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

Good For Yale :thumb: FU Monken :)
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

While it's best when Navy does it, I'm stoked when ANYBODY beats Army. Great job, Yale!

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

OL FU wrote:Good For Yale :thumb: FU Monken :)
You know, I was thinking the same thing

I used to feel sorry for Army... back in the days when we could reliably beat them day in and day out

But now that Monken is there I cannot decide if I want to see him crash and burn, or be wildly successful. Its a conundrum I tell you