Football Championship Subdivision discussions
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Kickoff Question

Post by grizzaholic »

I am not a smart person but why would you ever take the kickoff out of the endzone? Wouldn't taking the ball at the 25 if you have the chance be the smart move every time unless you were down and hoping for a big run back or an end of game situation?
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
keydet21
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: VMI

Re: Kickoff Question

Post by keydet21 »

Depends. I'd say if you're a yard in or deeper, take a knee. Otherwise you're just preventing an opportunity for a big run.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

grizzaholic wrote:I am not a smart person
you are correct

but dont be so hard on yourself
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

keydet21 wrote:Depends. I'd say if you're a yard in or deeper, take a knee. Otherwise you're just preventing an opportunity for a big run.
To me it seems that most of the time when a player takes the ball out of the endzone he hardly ever gets back to the 25. Perhaps I don't pay enough attention. I just think if they are going to kick the ball into the endzone, they are willing to GIVE you 25 yards free. Seems like a good deal to me.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

CID1990 wrote:
grizzaholic wrote:I am not a smart person
you are correct

but dont be so hard on yourself
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: wait :?

Justin Halpern
keydet21
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: VMI

Post by keydet21 »

grizzaholic wrote:
keydet21 wrote:Depends. I'd say if you're a yard in or deeper, take a knee. Otherwise you're just preventing an opportunity for a big run.
To me it seems that most of the time when a player takes the ball out of the endzone he hardly ever gets back to the 25. Perhaps I don't pay enough attention. I just think if they are going to kick the ball into the endzone, they are willing to GIVE you 25 yards free. Seems like a good deal to me.
Again it depends on the situation. If you've got 4.4 speed and a good blocking unit then you can afford to run it out of the endzone more. Otherwise yeah I'd agree that you should take the knee 9/10 times.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

The 25? Since when has a touchback come out to the 25 this side of Canada? It's always been the 20.

Decide this for us, Master Clenzy....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

SuperHornet wrote:The 25? Since when has a touchback come out to the 25 this side of Canada? It's always been the 20.

On kickoffs it does.

Justin Halpern
JayJ79
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: myself

Post by JayJ79 »

I suppose bringing it out keeps alive the chance of busting a big return, but unless the other team sucks at coverage, normally it seems like the returner rarely makes it out to the 25, and there is a high likelihood of a hold or a block in the back. not to mention the injury chances
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

SuperHornet wrote:The 25? Since when has a touchback come out to the 25 this side of Canada? It's always been the 20.

So, you haven't been watching college football for the last couple of years? :coffee:
LDopaPDX
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Eastern Washington

Post by LDopaPDX »

Kickoffs have the highest incident rate of injury of any play in football. Thus, the NCAA moved the default line to the 25 (as well as push kickoffs back up 5 yards) to put more balls into the endzone and have an appropriate incentive not to return the football from the endzone. Unless you're behind and want to take a shot at a low-odds return for field position, the best bet is to sit on it.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

LDopaPDX wrote:Kickoffs have the highest incident rate of injury of any play in football. Thus, the NCAA moved the default line to the 25 (as well as push kickoffs back up 5 yards) to put more balls into the endzone and have an appropriate incentive not to return the football from the endzone. Unless you're behind and want to take a shot at a low-odds return for field position, the best bet is to sit on it.
The next brilliant idea from the NCAA will be to eliminate kickoffs altogether and just set the ball at the 25.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Vidav wrote:

So, you haven't been watching college football for the last couple of years? :coffee:
:lol: